Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1829 Mexico 8 Reales?

Is this a Mexico 8 Reales?

Comments

• Options
    Could be. Or it could be a contemporary counterfeit- there are a number of them for that date.
  • Options
    Is there any way to check if it's a contemporary counterfeit?
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    The things that stand out to me are:
    1. The rim looks too smooth. Even on a well worn example you would expect to see some reeding on the edges.

2. The rays on the left side look off. They appear different than the right side from an odd striking.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weigh it and check the "ring" would be two things to start with.
  • Options
    Yes it is an 8 Reales Cap and Rays. Nothing about LOOKS like it would be a counterfeit.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this a Mexico 8 Reales? >>

Gary, I believe it's a counterfeit. Correct me if i'm wrong (and this could just be the picture) but I don't see silver anywhere. In fact, the cuts on the reverse expose more of the same dark metal (copper?). Dentils are missing completely and there are few small die elements (first two leaves on the reverse, for example, are usually the same length in this die style) that are not matching up to the coins I own as well as the images in Resplandores. A counterfeit like this should also be under 26 grams, which can be easily confirmed.

This is my favorite die style (Zacatecas 1825-1842) and the reverse is just not sitting well with me.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Is there a market for contemporary counterfeit 8 reales like there is for contemporary counterfeir American coins, or are they more or less junk?
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>Gary, I believe it's a counterfeit. Correct me if i'm wrong (and this could just be the picture) but I don't see silver anywhere. In fact, the cuts on the reverse expose more of the same dark metal (copper?). Dentils are missing completely and there are few small die elements (first two leaves on the reverse, for example, are usually the same length in this die style) that are not matching up to the coins I own as well as the images in Resplandores. >>

I'd agree. In addition, the coin pictured here looks very much like the image of "No. 221- Counterfeit Zacatecas, 1829" in "Monograph of the Silver Dollar".
  • Options

<< <i>Is there a market for contemporary counterfeit 8 reales like there is for contemporary counterfeir American coins, or are they more or less junk? >>

Somebody (I don't remember whom) once said there is a buyer for every coin. There are collectors of contemporary counterfeit Mexican 8 Reales. They are history, just like the real ones!

Case in point: In the January 2010 Stacks auction, contemporary counterfeit Mexican gold sold alongside genuine Mexican gold.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Gary, I believe it's a counterfeit. Correct me if i'm wrong (and this could just be the picture) but I don't see silver anywhere. In fact, the cuts on the reverse expose more of the same dark metal (copper?). Dentils are missing completely and there are few small die elements (first two leaves on the reverse, for example, are usually the same length in this die style) that are not matching up to the coins I own as well as the images in Resplandores. >>

I'd agree. In addition, the coin pictured here looks very much like the image of "No. 221- Counterfeit Zacatecas, 1829" in "Monograph of the Silver Dollar". >>

If you happen to have an extra copy - I'd gladly buy it off you image
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>If you happen to have an extra copy - I'd gladly buy it off you image >>

Sorry- I only have the one.

edited to add... try looking here:

Google books
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you happen to have an extra copy - I'd gladly buy it off you image >>

Sorry- I only have the one.

edited to add... try looking here:

Google books >>

Google added it to Google Books! Awesome!

When I checked last year there wasn't a digitized copy anywhere! Thanks, mrpotatoheadd!
  • Options
    Just a public service announcement:

If you are interested in contemporary counterfeits - GET THAT BOOK. Download it and print it!!!! Do it now!!! image
  • Options
    It was reprinted in the 1960's (?) by the Mexican Numismatic Society and those reprints are already quite scarce and expensive. The original version is extremely rare and expensive.

I have a reprint and the photos are not very good. But then I looked at an original in the ANS Library, and the photos were not that much better.