Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cincinnati Mining 1849 Pattern $20

dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
I can't find much info on this coin. I figure it's most likely a reproduction or counterfeit but thought I would post it here and have the pros have a look.

What do you think?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found my answer..

"Question: I have a coin I would Like to Identify. On the front it says cincinatty mining and tracing Co. It has a greek type head on it, The back says, California $20, and is dated 1849. It has an Eagle simular to the post office eagle of today.
You have a replica of a Cincinnati Mining & Trading Co. 1849 $10 gold coin cast in base metal (replicas often have the word TRACING instead of Trading).

This company was one of the many that were established to create needed currency during the "gold rush" period in California (1849-1857). These issues became defunct after the establishment of the U.S. Assay office in 1852.

Only two denominations were made by the Cincinnati Mining & Trading Co. A 1849 $5 gold coin which only one piece is known to have survived and an 1849 $10 gold coin which is extremely rare (sale records to $200,000). No $20 pieces were ever made. "
Dwayne Sessom

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file