Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The Denali President's Set on the move

The Denali Presidential Dollar Complete Variety Set Collection as leaped to #10 at 61.64% complete, weighted GPA of 67.10 is on the move.

(Strangely, Walter's set is also 61.64% complete and with a weighted GPA of 67.10. But, he's #6. Hmmmmm?)

Anyway, with 159 coins in the first 3 years of a 11 year series, which is an average of 53 varieties a year, can we expect the series to end with around 600 coins?

Will the endless errors finally negate the value of modern error coins and especially within this set?

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    To answer your questions,

"(Strangely, Walter's set is also 61.64% complete and with a weighted GPA of 67.10. But, he's #6. Hmmmmm?)" - It's not how many you have as much as it is "what" you have given the different registry weights. A 2008-P MS67 Pos B Monroe (4.00) is a lot different than a 2008-P MS67 Pos B Monroe in Satin Finish (1.00).

"Anyway, with 159 coins in the first 3 years of a 11 year series, which is an average of 53 varieties a year, can we expect the series to end with around 600 coins?" - Prolly! It depends upon whether or not the US Mint actually refines the minting process. So far, its not looking real good but ya never know!

"Will the endless errors finally negate the value of modern error coins and especially within this set?" - I expect that many of the error's that have been submitted and graded are a lot more common than folks may be aware of. Simply put, if only those that care actually look, then untold thousands will get passed up. There may be a few exceptions but we'll never really know until the approximately 10 to 15% of the 1.5 billion produced gets looked at?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>To answer your questions,

"(Strangely, Walter's set is also 61.64% complete and with a weighted GPA of 67.10. But, he's #6. Hmmmmm?)" - It's not how many you have as much as it is "what" you have given the different registry weights. A 2008-P MS67 Pos B Monroe (4.00) is a lot different than a 2008-P MS67 Pos B Monroe in Satin Finish (1.00). >>

I know that. That's what the weights are for. His set is weighed the same, actually a little more now, but has the numeric set rank of #6. That's not mathematically right.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Varieties/errors are going to be the only coins in this series worth collecting. Without no edge lettering errors, this would be the biggest bust since the SBA, even bigger.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭

<< <i>I know that. That's what the weights are for. His set is weighed the same, actually a little more now, but has the numeric set rank of #6. That's not mathematically right. >>

Sorry...but Lee's right about this one. Sets are ranked by Set Rating...not by Weighted GPA. It's quite possible for two sets to be of equal % completion, with the set with the higher Weighted GPA having a lower Set Rating... in fact it happens quite frequently.