Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

LINCOLN REGISTRY MATTE PROOF WEIGHTS

As with most posters, my following comments are self serving since I own eight Matte Proofs currently in the registry.

I do not understand why PCGS has assigned such low weights to the Matte Proofs. Assuming they intend to keep the 1909-1942 set in place, it seems unfair that a 1910 Matte Proof has a weighting of "1" while a 1940 Proof has a weighting of "4". The populations of ALL Matte Proof Lincolns are only a small percentage of the Early Brilliant Proofs.

Is it possible that because PCGS has set up a new registry for just the 9 Matte Proof Lincolns and that weighting appears the same as for the existing 1909-1942 set, that PCGS has goofed? OR, is it possible that PCGS will drop the overlapping of dates and soon eliminate the 1909-1942 set?

Those of you who are or will be adding Matte Proof Lincolns to your set should look into this. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    I wonder why yesterday's response disappeared.

I wrote David Hall and indicated that since Lincoln proofs are one series, that the weighting should be consistent across the whole set.
    I also provided a suggested set of weights and bonuses. I didn't feel knowledgable enough with Mattes to list them.
    I encourage the Lincoln proof mini-sets. Making weighting consistent only within a mini-set is very short sighted, imho.

I'd like to see a Lincoln proof super set, in the future. Getting the weighting right, now, would encourage this.I don't have any Matte proofs, but would like to own them some day. I'd also like to see how my modern proofs compare against the older registered sets.

David
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    perfectstrike, I agree with what you say. I also support the mini-set proofs. The big problem to me is that they have set the early brilliant proof weights (1936-1942) as if they were the same for either the 1936-1958 mini proof set OR the 1909-1942 mini proof set. They shouldn't be the same for both mini proof sets IMHO. I would be satisfied with just one Lincoln Wheat Proof registry covering 1909-1958, however, I understand and support the concept of breaking it out into mini sets as it is apparently being done. The problem with this breakout is that it makes assigning one specific weight for a given coin within the entire series wrong. It causes an incorrect weighting as you can see in the 1909-1942 mini set.

How does this work with other registries? I really haven't followed them in detail. Steve