Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cornering the market on signed rookies (poppage)

I now have cornered the market on graded Mario Lemieux signed rookies (8 total graded to date and I have 7 of them). Todays poppage was a great one and all of the cards were signed in 1985 with his earliest signature in blue pen. I have the highest graded in both the Topps version and the OPC version signed in which both are NM/MT 8's.

1 1 16565830 NEAR MINT 7 1985 O-PEE-CHEE 9 MARIO LEMIEUX PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
2 1 16565831 NEAR MINT 7 1985 TOPPS 9 MARIO LEMIEUX PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
3 1 16565832 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 TOPPS 9 MARIO LEMIEUX PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
4 1 16565833 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1992 HIGH LINER STANLEY CUP 27 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US

Total Items: 4
Date Received: 3/9/2010
Date Shipped: 3/26/2010
Order Status: OK

Comments

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    If you have them all....is there a market?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    You'll never get the 8th one from me! Never I tell ya! Muhahahaha.
  • Options
    There is a market for the other ones that are just authenticated but i have only collected the rookies that are signed with his first signature and have gotten lucky with the card grade. My entire collection is based on rare Lemieux collectibles. I am sure there are other ones out there that i do not have but for now It feels good to have the highest graded in both the Topps and OPC on the pop report and 7 of 8 total. I was lucky to meet a gentleman who lived in Vorhees NJ who had a huge autograph collection of all sports and he had 4 of the signed Lemieux's that i have now. He said Mario was great signing them for him back in 1985 after a Flyer's game. I had the eighth one that was signed (OPC PSA 6) but sold it last year because it was not Mario's first signature. I will post a scan of the cards that just popped when they arrive.... I want Gretzky's rookie signed next if that's possible.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I few years ago , there was a thread about the "Azzclown" that tried to corner the market for 1993 Mark McGwire refractors. The thread may be gone , but it was one of the all time classics.

Best of luck on the "cornering".
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I now have cornered the market on graded Mario Lemieux signed rookies (8 total graded to date and I have 7 of them). Todays poppage was a great one and all of the cards were signed in 1985 with his earliest signature in blue pen. I have the highest graded in both the Topps version and the OPC version signed in which both are NM/MT 8's.

1 1 16565830 NEAR MINT 7 1985 O-PEE-CHEE 9 MARIO LEMIEUX PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    2 1 16565831 NEAR MINT 7 1985 TOPPS 9 MARIO LEMIEUX PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    3 1 16565832 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1985 TOPPS 9 MARIO LEMIEUX PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    4 1 16565833 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1992 HIGH LINER STANLEY CUP 27 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US

Total Items: 4
    Date Received: 3/9/2010
    Date Shipped: 3/26/2010
    Order Status: OK >>

Enjoy it while you can. I have 11 OPC rookies about to be sent to a private signing in Ontario. After reading your thread I will have half signed in blue ink and the others in black. To achieve this I will request the 11th card be signed "Mario" in blue ink and "Lemieux" in black. Corner that!

OK totally just kidding about that. I don't have any Mario rookies in my collection at the moment, but his signature runs typically $300 for items such as cards. Whether this adds $300 to the value is beyond me. I know Lemieux doesn't sign for free anymore, so there is value there...maybe list one for current market graded value plus $300 and see if anybody is interested?

Congrats on your lot of Lemieux rookies!

Patrick
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    There's 3 on ebay right now. I take it those are yours, sideordertodd?
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There's 3 on ebay right now. I take it those are yours, sideordertodd? >>

lol, three aint got nuthin on his sevun
  • Options
    I am a true Lemieux fan so i do not plan on selling them ever. The 3 that are on Ebay now are PSA DNA authenticated were only the auto is graded no the card. I had an article in SMR about my Lemieux collection a few years ago and it was a great experience. I sent 3 of the SMR's to Mario himself and he gladly signed them. I am not bragging at all I just was very excited about the cards getting such high grades and having such a hold on the population report for his signed and card graded rookies.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Great cards. The only one I have signed is badly miscut. I'll upgrade sooner or later I hope.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs