Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Humor me-read this-have patience

Yes, another open hand, "baksheesh", as my dad used to say when my brother and I pressed him hard as demanding sons.

My father risked courts martial at the end of WWII by donating 500,000 text books to the University of Calcutta
(which was in desperate need) in the dead of night in mis-appropriated US military trucks instead
of burning them as he was ordered to, at that time being in charge of all training/education for US troops
in China, India, Burma during the great unpleasentness.

He survived the incident with apparent distinction but yet some small damage to his service folder.

I don't want you to risk your current career over this, but I do need you to donate any unwanted or un-needed or duplicate coins to the effort to send our cohort
LordM to England this summer. I will sell them and assume all eBay insertion and final value fees, proceeds to the fund.

Some of you have indicated a willingness to do so and I await the fruits of your generous promises.

Believe me, I know I sound like a one-trick pony but do this for me, and I shut up-very simple!image

Please PM me with your charity offerings...image
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    Done
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    pm sent (sorry I took so long)

Come on folks- Let's get Rob over to England!!
    Jim
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hadn't noticed this thread before.

As the recipient of the generosity and baksheesh, my gratitude to all.

Laurent, that's an interesting anecdote about your father. My paternal grandfather was in British India during the war. He'd been an advertising executive and got some kind of propaganda and/or spook job over there. He supposedly had some sort of equivalent rank of colonel, if my Dad and uncle's stories are to be believed. I don't think he was OSS, but perhaps something of that ilk. The one thing I can remember being told is that he ended up with a near-pathological hatred of the British, which is rather ironic if we consider what an anglophile I am, and what y'all are doing for me here. He died five years before I was born so I never met him.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laurent,
    Where do I find that nifty Pledge-o-matic™ graphic showing the campaign's progress?
    I couldn't find it on the diggersdiary site.
    Thanks.
    SB

edit to say found it.