Home Precious Metals

This is OT but I feel the need to share.

Figure it's less likely to get poof'd here.

I love my small town. If it weren't for the corrupt politics it would be damn near like Mayberry. I didn't grow up here- only moved here recently from the KC Metro area so I'm not quite used to every lil' quirk yet. Here's an example of what I found on the local newspapers' site this morning:

<< <i>Mouse races scheduled for Saturday

Mouse races set for this weekend

Sons of the American Legion (SALs) will host mouse races and mouse roulette this weekend. Races will start at 7 p.m. Saturday evening at the Legion Hall, 315 Meadowbrook Circle in Gardner.

Guests can place wagers on each race and half of the pot will be awarded to the winner. Half of the pot will also be provided for choosing winning mouse roulette number winners. The SALs are still seeking mouse sponsors as well. For $25 sponsors will get to name a mouse. Guests can also purchase raffle tickets for a 532 Mossberg 12-gauge shotgun. The drawing will be on April 14. >>

I have never heard of mouse racing before. I imagine mouse roulette to be a small box containing 5 traps and 6 mice but have no idea what it is though I'm sure it's much more humane. The raffle for the shotgun just makes the event that much more random.

That being said, I look forward to watching some mouse racing this weekend and hope to win the Mossy! image

imageimage
imageRIP

Comments

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be gambling on that like an addict at the track.
  • Wait until PETA gets wind of this image
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wait until PETA gets wind of this image >>

People who Eat Tasty Animals?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I've seen this at a fair before. Mouse roulette is a big wheel divided into colors they spin and they dump a mouse out of a box into the center of the wheel. The mouse beelines it for the outside of the wheel where every color section has a hole in it and runs into the hole.

Personally, I think for carnivals / fairs they have different mice trained to run for a certain color. Haven't met a carnival game yet that wasn't rigged in some way.
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    532 Mossberg 12-gauge shotgun

They mean a 532 Mouseberg 12-gauge shotgun...
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    There was an episode of the old TV show M*A*S*H* that featured a mouse race. Radar had a pet mouse that they put up against a champion Marine corp owned mouse. Big money, high drama, and cheating too, in that episode.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've seen this at a fair before. Mouse roulette is a big wheel divided into colors they spin and they dump a mouse out of a box into the center of the wheel. The mouse beelines it for the outside of the wheel where every color section has a hole in it and runs into the hole.

Personally, I think for carnivals / fairs they have different mice trained to run for a certain color. Haven't met a carnival game yet that wasn't rigged in some way. >>

Perhaps they trained the mouse by putting peanut butter in the color hole that they wanted to train the mouse to run to. After a few practice runs, the mouse associates a particular color with the reward. Or maybe I'm over thinking this.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd put $20 bets down on colors/numbers if they dropped the mouse in the wheel, spun it, then paid on what notch the mouse wound up on after centrifigal force.
  • Yea, small towns are cool, but the corruption?........ that's alittle strange. image Best of luck on the mouse game, it's all luck.
  • TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    Maybe its "Mouseville" image <~~~a genuine Starbucks Mouse, shhhhh
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Aunt Bea says to wipe your shoes before you come in -- and don't slam the screen door.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I've lived in small, mostly southern, towns all my life.
    Believe me, the politics, back stabbing, backroom deals, and corruption in these little two horse towns make the big whigs in DC look like a bunch'a girl scouts ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!