Home Precious Metals
Options

The EURO is a joke. Gold benefits.

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Eurozone announced they will bailout Greece. However they need help from the IMF. Imagine if the USA asks the IMF to help bailout California or New Jersey or Illinois. That a pansy currency. image

This EURO weakness has helped to support the price of gold as Europeans dump their currency in favor of the yellow metal.

To quote Forrest Gump, "Thats all I have to say about that." image

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    The dollar and the euro are both, slowly, going in the same direction -- DOWN!
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Difference is this:

US can print its currency whenever it "needs" to.

Individual European nations cannot print Euros, they come from the European Central Bank which serves the European Union, not one particular country. If Greece were not in the EU, it would be printing it's own currency to get out of its current mess (only to create a whole new mess, but that's another day). Because of this reason alone, the EU will eventually dissolve and the individual countries will go back to using their own currency.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, we had somebody come in today to buy a gold eagle and use 1,000 Euro in 50-Euro notes to pay for is.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>FWIW, we had somebody come in today to buy a gold eagle and use 1,000 Euro in 50-Euro notes to pay for is.
    TD >>

Did you run right to the bank to get rid of them?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you run right to the bank to get rid of them?

Run, do not walk, to the nearest foreign exchange window!! I'd put a wink, or a smiley face on this, but it's not even funny or cute anymore.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Why? We do a lot of business in Europe. Harlan goes there three-four times a year. He'll just spend them without having to pay an exchange commission.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FWIW, we had somebody come in today to buy a gold eagle and use 1,000 Euro in 50-Euro notes to pay for is.
    TD >>

Did he get any change back in that purchase? image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Remember these?

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All currencies will ultimately help support the gold price. Most all of them are a joke. This month it happens to be Greece and the Euro. Next month it could be California and the US dollar. Our national govt will bail out the states one by one as well....to some extent they have been doing this already for decades. And it will continue. But you will never see it in the press as a "bailout" because it will be business as usual. The IMF is not needed since we have THE WORLD'S printing press, THE FED, the Wall Street Banker Boyz, and military might to keep the con alive.

Asking for help by the IMF could merely be more stall tactics to allow the Euro to drop further...which is exactly what Germany, France, and the others want. They've stalled for weeks as it is to get the Euro to devalue on its own. Unfortunately the USA cannot use the IMF tactic.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>All currencies will ultimately help support the gold price. Most all of them are a joke. This month it happens to be Greece and the Euro. Next month it could be California and the US dollar. Our national govt will bail out the states one by one as well....to some extent they have been doing this already for decades. And it will continue. But you will never see it in the press as a "bailout" because it will be business as usual. The IMF is not needed since we have THE WORLD'S printing press, THE FED, the Wall Street Banker Boyz, and military might to keep the con alive.

Asking for help by the IMF could merely be more stall tactics to allow the Euro to drop further...which is exactly what Germany, France, and the others want. They've stalled for weeks as it is to get the Euro to devalue on its own. Unfortunately the USA cannot use the IMF tactic.

roadrunner >>

Oh, I believe the USA could use the IMF if needed - but the IMF would not be able to put a dent in the USA's needs. IMF is basically set up to bail out third worlds country's that are willing to sell their souls to the demands of outsiders. The IMF ruins each country it assists by requiring changes that turn the country over to others.

• Options
    As of the date this thread started, Euro was 133.50, now 128.20. Gold was about $1090, now 1170.

I guess I had more to say. LOLimage

• Options
    Sad thing is most Americans don't realize US tax dollars go to the IMF to bailout other countries.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sad thing is most Americans don't realize US tax dollars go the IMF to bailout other countries. >>

Sad to say I didn't know this until 3 days ago. We are on the hook for 17% of Greece's bailout via the IMF.

ed4%
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Eurozone announced they will bailout Greece. However they need help from the IMF.

I was going to respond to cohodk's original post by saying, "Your Tax Dollars at Work" but when I got to the bottom of the thread, you guys had already beat me to it:

<< Sad thing is most Americans don't realize US tax dollars go the IMF to bailout other countries. >>

Sad to say I didn't know this until 3 days ago. We are on the hook for 17% of Greece's bailout via the IMF.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>As of the date this thread started, Euro was 133.50, now 128.20. Gold was about $1090, now 1170.

I guess I had more to say. LOLimage >>

Gold is not down worldwide. Gold is still strong. Its just down in America because it now takes fewer dollars to buy gold because the dollar is even stronger.

TD
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The EURO is a joke. >>

An unfunny joke at that.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>As of the date this thread started, Euro was 133.50, now 128.20. Gold was about $1090, now 1170.

I guess I had more to say. LOLimage >>

Gold is not down worldwide. Gold is still strong. Its just down in America because it now takes fewer dollars to buy gold because the dollar is even stronger.

TD >>

I think what I wrote shows that gold is up in the US dollar terms. Im not gold negative as may seem to believe.image

• Options
    According to KITCO, over the last six months gold is up 7.90% in dollars, and 25.26% in Euros.
    TD
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Great news for Gold!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>According to KITCO, over the last six months gold is up 7.90% in dollars, and 25.26% in Euros.
    TD >>

And while oil has remained steady in dollar terms, it is up 16% in Euros. That ought to do wonders to the European economy.

• Options
    Looks like the EU is in its early stages of a collapse. Great news for Gold and US$. Keep an eye on Spain and Italy.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    We're going to England in July. At this rate I'll be able to exchange dollars for pounds even-up...
  • Options

<< <i>We're going to England in July. At this rate I'll be able to exchange dollars for pounds even-up... >>

When I was stationed there in 76 I could have bought a brand new MGB GT for half of its price in the states. But noooooo, I had to have $3000 worth of quadrophonic audio gear. I'm a lot smarter now.