Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Options
    mudskippiemudskippie Posts: 540 ✭✭
    Heck, I say PCGS just grade and place the coin in a soft flip holder, like ICCS, and lower the grading fee by $5. I think I'll be very happy!
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes I think the Lightside, and micrograders of all stripes, need a Fight Club type moment... destroy the registry, burn the price guides and throw out the plastic. Let's start over and have fun with our hobby again! image

• Options

I guess it's what you make of it. You can buy the hype, or you can enjoy the hobby without the heavy marketing aspect. I'm with you guys, let's have fun with this and share stories or interests instead of pushing for regrades and plus signs.image
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Yep. But while I'm still poking fun at people, I'd just like to say that all those folks griping about how this new service is out of their league, they don't have $3000+ coins so it doesn't do them any good.. heck, I barely have any $100+ coins, so now they should know how us lowly darksiders feel about all their crazy schemes over bell lines, steps, bands, one point higher and all that mess. image

OK, back to our usual decorum now image
  • Options

It does get a little critical on some of those issues, doesn't it? image I have a very modest collection in comparison, but I don't think I want to get caught up in the race that goes on over the small details, either.
  • Options

<< <i>Heck, I say PCGS just grade and place the coin in a soft flip holder, like ICCS, and lower the grading fee by $5. I think I'll be very happy! >>

You know, I'd be happy with authentication and a sealed slab only, no grade whatsoever. I like the protection of a slab, and would like to have a guarantee on the authenticity. I could probably convince myself to pay $15-20 per coin for that. Heck, as it stands I don't know if they even slab the coins that I buy. I've asked a couple of times on Q&A but have gotten no response. I know, call customer service....but on a coin by coin basis they could get tired of me in a hurry.image
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    That is why I collect coins, and not slabs.

I accidentally mis-typed that "slaps"....fruedien slip? image
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    For some time, years ago, this forum was a bastion against the forces of Graded Plastic.

Little by little however, the grading whirlpool pulled in member after member, sending them
    down into the swirling abyss.

There are still a few of us non-slabbers left who enjoy just a little protection, perhaps the feel of a
    nice airtite holding a favorite crown.

I can remember the grumbling that occured whenever the subject of micro-grading came up.

Well the micros have gotten even slimmer and a dangerous value crisis has been averted with the power of +.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Since one of the complaints against + grading was that it applied only to the MS grades, I hear PCGS is considering changing to grading names of Double Plus Ungood, Plus Ungood, Ungood, Good, Plus Good and Double Plus Good.

The abbreviations will be ++UG, +UG, UG, G, +G and ++G.

Parody reference should be obvious to those on this forum, but I'm not so sure about Light Siders.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is why I collect coins, and not slabs.

I accidentally mis-typed that "slaps"....fruedien slip? >>

I've made the same Freudian slip many a time. It's very appropriate, considering what often happens when one submits coins for grading.

(I've also made another Freudian slip a time or two... typing "cons" instead of "coins". That's pretty appropriate at times, too, usually in an eBay context.) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember the old days of collecting records- specifically 78 RPM records- the good stuff- early jazz, blues and post war blues, R&B and of course early rock- why I am bring up something off topic?

The answer is because of grading- there was N, N-, E+, EE+, E, EE-, E-, V+,VV+,V,VV-, V- and basically the rare Paramount records were collected in any grade- G+ and even lower.

Grading records was more technical than grading coins- the thing that we all seem to overlook is that coin grading has a highly subjective component- the overall look of a coin in terms of the wow factor means different things to me than it does to others- for an MS Coin, some may want blast white and others want the attractive original look that has skin, color and a look that may not be replicated. I do not think both PCGS and NGC adding a plus is a bad idea. It may help prevent the preceived grade inflation that some complain about. I hope it will not be used as an excuse not to give a coin a grade it deserves because of the spread in value between grades.

There seems to be an obsession with trying to quantify and exactly classify the state of preservation of coins by grading by numbers- this will not change and it will likely develop further as time goes on. It should not hinder or deter one from collecting- use this as anopportunity to sharpen your own grading skills and in doing so, the coins you purchase will likely be quality coins that can be enjoyed and sold if that time should come.

Don't let things that you see as bumps in the road impact your hobby that you enjoy

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember the old days of collecting records- specifically 78 RPM records- the good stuff- early jazz, blues and post war blues, R&B and of course early rock- why I am bring up something off topic?

The answer is because of grading- there was N, N-, E+, EE+, E, EE-, E-, V+,VV+,V,VV-, V- and basically the rare Paramount records were collected in any grade- G+ and even lower.

Grading records was more technical than grading coins- the thing that we all seem to overlook is that coin grading has a highly subjective component- the overall look of a coin in terms of the wow factor means different things to me than it does to others- for an MS Coin, some may want blast white and others want the attractive original look that has skin, color and a look that may not be replicated. I do not think both PCGS and NGC adding a plus is a bad idea. It may help prevent the perceived grade inflation that some complain about. I hope it will not be used as an excuse not to give a coin a grade it deserves because of the spread in value between grades.

There seems to be an obsession with trying to quantify and exactly classify the state of preservation of coins by grading by numbers- this will not change and it will likely develop further as time goes on. It should not hinder or deter one from collecting- use this as an opportunity to sharpen your own grading skills and in doing so, the coins you purchase will likely be quality coins that can be enjoyed and sold if that time should come.

Don't let things that you see as bumps in the road impact your hobby that you enjoy >>

Well said, ck!

If I may reiterate, use this to sharpen your grading skills. If this means viewing thousands of auction lots until you "get it", then do it. If it means attending the ANA Summer Grading sessions, do it. If you are lucky enough to find a knowledgeable numismatic mentor who agrees to tutor you and help hone your 'subjective' grading skills, latch on. You will never learn to accurately grade coins from a book. Never. You have to see it, feel it, breathe it, and LOVE IT.

And lastly, your price range (budget) is irrelevant. If say, $50 is your limit, that's fine, but endeavor to hone those skills so that you might find a $200 coin for $50, i.e., buy value, always try to buy value. image

• Options
    And how do the monoliths (grading services) survive? That's simple but, does not generate the revenues that they are used to. The idea is th create additional concepts that help feed the ever icreasing appetite of the beast.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>(I've also made another Freudian slip a time or two. >>

How about the ones involving David's handle? (farthing) image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don