Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How are the varieties chosen for any Registry Set composition?

How are the varieties that are included for any Registry Set composition selected ?

Anyone know?

Krueger

Comments

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The coins listed in the Cherrypickers' Guide are the ones included in the variety sets. I think there are some exceptions both ways. Some too minor for PCGS and I think they let in a bunch of quarters not in the CG.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coins listed in the Cherrypickers' Guide are the ones included in the variety sets. I think there are some exceptions both ways. Some too minor for PCGS and I think they let in a bunch of quarters not in the CG. >>

That's mostly true, but not entirely. For instance, several of the most common Walking Liberty half varieties in the Cherrypickers Guide are not recognized by PCGS. Variety attributer Mike Faraone at PCGS has significant input into the decision.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recent additions have simply been added by collectors asking.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Recent additions have simply been added by collectors asking.

WS >>

You're not talking about the 58 DDO are you Bob? image
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Recent additions have simply been added by collectors asking.

WS >>

I think this only applies to the presidentail dollars AND if the "type" of variety already exists for prior years such as Missing Edge Lettering, Weak Edge Lettering and Partial Edge Lettering. Of course those could also just be considered "givens".

In a way, I kinda wish that all you had to do was ask since the 1971-D IKE RDV-006 is W-a-a-a-a-y overdue!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're not talking about the 58 DDO are you Bob

New forum rules prevent me from commenting image

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.