Home Precious Metals
Options

have you ever spent a ASE?

Was curious if you could pass one off at McDonalds since they do say $1.

Comments

• Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Been a while since I looked at one; don't they a $5 denomination?

And, no, I have never spent one.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Face value is $1 on silver eagles. I believe Maples have a $5 face value.

I think you'd get the same blank stare you'd get if you tried to spend a $2 bill or even the presidential dollars in some venues. You could try. You might be refused. And you'd be losing $15 or more for every one you spent.

There were stories of some circulating in the Caribbean or south America a few years back. I can't believe they'd trade for long before someone snagged them.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    There were stories of some circulating in the Caribbean or south America a few years back. I can't believe they'd trade for long before someone snagged them. >>

I tend to agree.

Then again, I bet 95% of people I work with (for example) wouldn't know the monetary difference between a commem, one dollar coin, and a SAE.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I had a MONSTER argument at a flea market. Trying to explain ASE as a 1oz silver bullion coin.

He said "No they's the new silver dollar's! Say's so on the back right there!" I gave upimageimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but every now and then I am tempted to burn a dollar bill.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    Haven't spent one but around 11 years ago I gave one to a young man who worked for me and had done some work particularly well. Can't even recall the details but I saw him at a reunion picnic a couple of years ago and he told me how he went on to become a collector because of it.
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • Options
    I've been known to tip with silver on occasion (on top of a normal gratuity, of course).
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    Oh, and this place will happily accept your ASEs, Morgan, Peace and even Ike dollars: 10000 Silver Dollars
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    gsa1fan, were you buying or sellingimage

I wonder if waiters/waitresses would know what they got if I left one as a tip

the 10,000 silver dollar bar would be nice to drink a beer at

I wonder if there are any rare ones

There is a small bar by me that has some old unc coins (WLH and MORGANS and PEACE) / bills / stamps on the bar - but I think they are lacquered in rather than under a sheet
  • Options
    I know for a fact they have a '93s, but I couldn't get a good look at it as it's pretty high up on the wall.