Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help with German? token--Johannes Hus

I have a token that my grandfather left when he passed away, but I have no idea what it is. I have found no information on web searches, so I would appreciate any insight.

His family is all of Swiss background, but I'm not sure if he got it from his family, or some other source, and never knew about it when he was alive, so didn't get any info.

On the front is the bust of Johannes Hus with the date of his execution, and on the back is a grave marker which is in Konstanz, Germany called Husenstein and was erected in the 1800s, so I know it's no older than that, but that's the only thing I could figure out.

I attached photos so I hope you can see them. Thanks!

Comments

• Welcome aboard Jon,
    I have never seen this particular medal but I have seen the one of him being burned at the stake. Is there a medallists name on it anywhere that you can see? That might help us to date it more accurately...

Jim
  • Maybe this will help a bit: Text

The Husenstein was erected in 1878 in the town of Constance (Konstanz) which is on Lake Constance (Bodensee), right across is Switzerland. It is possible your family visited and the medal was sold there perhaps as a token of their visit? It is not actually a grave but marks the spot where he suffered martyrdom...
    Jim
  • Thanks for the ideas, Jim. That's about the only clues I have. The only markings or letters I can see on it is what you can see in the photos. But that's as good an idea as any about it's origin I suppose.
  • Well it certainly looks nice and original and since it's a family heirloom, it's definitely a keeper!
    Jim