Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ethical question for the group...

If you find a seller who has a coin that would very nicely fill a slot in your collection, but that same seller is trying to market a whizzed POS as a high-grade coin, would you buy the coin that fits into your collection or would you keep looking to fill that slot?

I know what my thoughts are on the matter, but I am curious as to what the rest of the group thinks....

Cecil
Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'

Comments

• Options
    You ARE kidding, right? Where does ethics play into this? One coin has nothing to do with the other. Too much worrying about someone else's ethics. If the coin fits, BUY it! It is not my job to play morality police. Now, if a dealer has a relationship with me to the extent that he wants feedback from me regarding a 'hypothetical' situation, I'd be more than happy to lay out MY moral take on the same.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    hi can u explain what "but that same seller is trying to market a whizzed POS as a high-grade coin" means to a brit?

regards
    www.petitioncrown.com
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    Piece of Sheet (my spelling might be a bit off) image

Gary
  • Options
    I agree that each transaction stands on it's own. If the coin fits your set, is a good buy and you are assured that
    isn't doctored in any way, why not?

I imagine at one time or another even the most reputable dealers have let a cleaned, even a whizzed coin, slip though.

Same applies to houses, automobiles or anything else. The deal stands on it's own; but if a dealer, builder or dealership
    has a record and a reputation for this kind of misrepresentation just don't bother sifting through the chaff to find a
    grain of wheat.

There are too many others who offer the wheat, at fair prices, to bother with the rest.....
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    One shouldn't affect the other.

I would also feel good to be protecting the coin from eventually becoming a whizzed POS if the dealer is the kind that does that
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    I guess the ethics question would be - would you support a dealer who tries to pass a whizzed coin as a high grade coin (and probably will sell it as a high-grade coin to some poor noobie collector) by buying another coin that the dealer has for sale?
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ethics have limitations-

I think there are some options here.

While you have no obligation to do so, you can tell the dealer your opinion of the coin and it is has problems- if it is the coin he says it is, would he not get more for it if it were graded? The answer would seem to be yes and to your point, there is likely a reason it is not slabbed.

Does the dealer know it is a pos?

If so, it should be priced accordingly- if he does not know, it seems the dealer needs a little education

The coin you are interested in is a separate issue.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Another way to phrase this is: "Would I buy a coin I like from a dealer I don't?" (The reason why isn't really the point ... to me, anyway.)

My own answer depends on the scarcity of the coin in question. If I think I can find another example just as nice without too much trouble, then I pass. If it's a once-in-a-lifetime chance, I'm on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

• Options
    I myself draw the line at someone knowingly selling counterfeit material. I can let large *ahem* "differences" in opinion on grading slide, since there is room for difference even in expert opinions (and there can be some cognitive dissonance in me correcting/commenting on the grading of someone with many more years of experience than me). But someone who knowingly sells fake material as genuine must be blacklisted.
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    I don't knowingly support scum. A dealer of low moral standards that tricks collectors into buying junk at MS prices is not someone I would give my business to.

Why? Because when I was new I was ripped off by dealers selling cleaned coins as BU. I learded my expesive lessons. But I will act, in any legal manner, to put scum out of business.

If said dealer were honestly representing the coin as whizzed or cleaned and offered it at a fair(ish) price I would do business with the chap.
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    If I knew that the coin "that would very nicely fill a slot in my collection" was original and unmessed with, then I would buy it. Even if the same seller is trying to market a whizzed POS as a high-grade coin.

BUT, if I know that this seller intentionally tries to sell whizzed POSs as a high-grade coins, I would not have looked at his coins in the first place.

I avoid ALL dishonest and deceitful sellers.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    Why? Because when I was new I was ripped off by dealers selling cleaned coins as BU. I learded my expesive lessons. But I will act, in any legal manner, to put scum out of business.

Come on now Bob, What's with the morality police stuff? There are certainly BIGGER problems in this world. To each his own. If that is the way a person chooses to conduct business, so be it. Educating others seems more fitting than going on a one man crusade, dontcha think?!?

Gary
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    If they aren't stating that it is whizzed and are playing it off likes it's original then it would make me wonder about the other material they have

What if the coin that fits nicely was a genuine one-of-kind piece? or just hard to find?

<< <i>It is not my job to play morality police >>

It's not even the morality police's job to police that guys store, they would pass the case onto the ethics police because it's their jurisdiction
  • Options
    Colin, we have a saying in the lower 48; Let the buyer beware.

Gary