Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A couple more for my crown collection

I picked these two up recently to fill a couple of gaps. They are a 1960 VIP proof and ESC377A proof 0.500 fine silver with the incuse lettering. In the hand it's not much to look at with its mottled toning but with a mintage of 3-5 beggers can't be choosers.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v317/gazza-d/coins/?action=view&current=1960VIPRev.jpg]image[/URL]

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v317/gazza-d/coins/?action=view&current=1960VIPObv.jpg]image[/URL]

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v317/gazza-d/coins/?action=view&current=377ARev.jpg]image[/URL]

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v317/gazza-d/coins/?action=view&current=377AObv.jpg]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickups, the Geo. V looks like it's a very attractive piece.
  • Options
    Nice pickups!
    Jim
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you are selling the George V a little short- it is attractive.

Both are keepers- congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I think you are selling the George V a little short- it is attractive.

I agree!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the G5 crown the one with the fancy history? Nice coin but still can not quite sort out in my mind the clear difference btwn. this and a very nice PL of the same date as I know of a .925 incuse crown of this date that is proof and ran specific gravity on it (do not now remember the specs on that but did it with Harrington Manville) so was convinced of its metal content and also of the "proofness" - that is a really bad term. I can not make it out well enough from your pics to distinguish strike from the two gem PLs that I have looked at recently.

I think personally that I like the QEII crown a bit better. Another that I like is the satin Churchill.

These esoteric bits are rather fun to collect, and good job on them!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Rocking Horse crown. It is one of my very favorite designs.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options

<< <i>Is the G5 crown the one with the fancy history? Nice coin but still can not quite sort out in my mind the clear difference btwn. this and a very nice PL of the same date as I know of a .925 incuse crown of this date that is proof and ran specific gravity on it (do not now remember the specs on that but did it with Harrington Manville) so was convinced of its metal content and also of the "proofness" - that is a really bad term. I can not make it out well enough from your pics to distinguish strike from the two gem PLs that I have looked at recently.

I think personally that I like the QEII crown a bit better. Another that I like is the satin Churchill.

These esoteric bits are rather fun to collect, and good job on them! >>

This is the same type as the one with the fancy history but not the same coin. By fancy history I assume you are talking about the Edward VIII piece that is on ebay at present. That coin has been cherrished by the previous owners house keeper who kept it niece and shiny for him over the years, so when it came up for sale in the December Morten and Eden sale it was described as "about EF with no original surfaces". It sold for £1600 plus commission. If I recall correctly it then appeared on ebay for £3800 and subsequently reduced to £3400. My coin was graded as near FDC and although I paid handsomely for it, it was nothing like the ebay piece.

When I first purchased it I was a bit concerned, as to look at I would say it's no better than a good specimen piece, so I had it checked out by both Spinks and Baldwins, they were both happy that it is what it's supposed to be. That caused a couple of sleepless nightsimage

The distinguishing differences to a specimen piece are that the edge is very sharp and the incuse lettering is quite light and of a slightly different font. Also it is a bit under diameter although ok for weight.

I wish I had known that Spinks had a Church and 1951 VIP when I was in there, as once I had found out both had alraedy gone.image
  • Options
    Interesting to know the differences between a specimen and VIP proof; thanks for posting.

Since you seem to be up on values Gazza; do you have an idea what a PCGS Proof 65 1960 VIP shilling might be worth? I understand there are only 4 or 5.

Regards and thanks...
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    Not to butt in or pirate the thread but the 1960 shilling, S or E, would likely be about 500 pounds in private sale but about 2.5 times that if that dealer up in the Northeast (hmmm, don' t know who that might be) got a hold of it.
  • Options
    Question would be, what do any of the 20th C. matte proofs go for in this series? Depends.....Like if two or more collectors got interested at the same auction.
  • Options

<< <i>Question would be, what do any of the 20th C. matte proofs go for in this series? Depends.....Like if two or more collectors got interested at the same auction. >>

I concur, a VIP shilling would be about £500 perhaps a bit less. The problem is thay come up so rarely they don't get into the price guides, unlike the crowns. As to the matt pieces, they may only exist in single pieces. I have heard that they were produced for photographic purposes, no shine. I don't know how true this is. 1902 is the only year I know of that issued matt proof sets.
    Gary