Home Precious Metals

Dollar is way stronger, Gold & Silver down. Why?? Anyone ??

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
Guess the health care didn't send people running to PM's

Comments

• bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭
    I read this morning that since the Euro is down, the dollar went up.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Portugal they say on the TV.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most all investment choices are currently being artifically propped up or pushed down. Buy and hold the ones you think will profit most when the manipulation finally stops. And it will eventually come to an end - the market always wins over government intervention.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Kitco is showing, right at the top of the page, how much of the drop in gold is due to the strength of the dollar and how much of a drop is due to selling of gold. Today it showed 15.00 lost due to the dollar going up in value and only 1.00 lost due to selling pressure. Rarely have I seen this high of a ratio. Basically the dollars value went up because people ran from the euro, so the dollar buys more on a worldwide basis, including gold----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Yes, currently the dollar looks alittle better than the Euro, thanks to GREECE< PORTUGAL>THEN SPAIN>ETC.

As markets realize we can't pay for this healthcare bill, it's bad news for the dollar. Unfortunately we're in for some bad times in 2011, and don't say I'm thinking negatively, I'm thinking very clearly with no bias.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, currently the dollar looks alittle better than the Euro, thanks to GREECE< PORTUGAL>THEN SPAIN>ETC.

As markets realize we can't pay for this healthcare bill, it's bad news for the dollar. Unfortunately we're in for some bad times in 2011, and don't say I'm thinking negatively, I'm thinking very clearly with no bias. >>

Everything can easily be paid for via higher taxes. And that is what they are doing. In Europe it is difficult to raise taxes, as there isnt much blood left in those stones.

The dollars decline began in earnest in 2001 as the Euro came into existance. Previously, investors had no alternative to US dollars, so they began to diversify into Euros. The dollar became oversold and the Euro overbought. Investors are now realizing that the Euro is no better (possibly worse?) than the dollar and the markets are trying to establish an equibrium.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Im not sure there is much bllod left in these ( USA ) stones either.

Any increase in taxes may lead to some drop in economic activity, its not just as easy as rqaise taxes and lay back and watch the trillions roll in. They have been raising taxes forever ans still we get a deficit since they increase social and war spending at an even faster rate.

I think if the politicians think this can all be paid with raised taxes and no cuts in social spending, they are sadly mistaken.

• << <i>Most all investment choices are currently being artifically propped up or pushed down.....And it will eventually come to an end - the market always wins over government intervention >>

This has been my supposition for over a year. The fruition (or not) of this supposition will be known before the end of 2011. We need patience........image
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moody's downgraded Portugal, but they certainly won't do the same thing for California and other hurting states that are in just as bad a shape as the Euro PIIGS. At least not until they have no choice and wish to incur the wrath of TPTB that butters its bread.

Because the Euro mathematically makes up 57% of the US Dollar index, the dollar jumped today as the Euro crashed. Neither currency is getting stronger.....both are falling. It is all really a game of which currency is worth less than the other on any given day.....as both head for the basement.

Considering that the dollar just made a huge 1.5 pt jump in <2 days gold exhibited considerable relative strength by dropping only $20. On the move down from $1226 to $1044 gold was dropping approx $28 for each 1 pt rise in the USD index. Yet on this recent 1.5 point jump it only knocked gold back $20 (rather than $42). The dollar upper cut is losing its mojo.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    US government and "media" are better than Europeans at "convincing" the population that everything is just fine.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    pump and dump market manipulation by the FED?
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "US government and "media" are better than Europeans at "convincing" the population that everything is just fine."

So true. If you ever watch BBC News in the evening you will be shocked to see there is no spinning and no blue sky garbage. Amazingly enough, it's just the news and it is very well presented. It's an almost laughable comparison to ABC because almost every evening for the ABC broadcast, they use the same opening: "Good evening. Today, President Barack Obama..." ABC should close with "...mmmmm mmmmm mmmmmm."