Home Sports Talk

Big rule change for NFL playoff games...

Comments

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dumb.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Ditto, but it's a step in the right direction. Both teams should get a chance to score.
    I don't like that if the team that gets the ball first scores a touchdown the game is over.
    Both teams should get a chance to score.
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    Makes perfect sense to me.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally! Good move.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Better, but Id rather see the college type of OT...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings about the change, not sure what I think. It will certainly makes things more interesting in OT and change the game plan of coaches who basically coached to just get down to the 25-yard-line before setting up for the FG..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bad idea - Players are dog tired after 4 quarters of a playoff game and a 16+ game season...let the playoff game end as quick as possible and as exciting as possible in overtime as it did. Remember...there is no time limit to overtime in a playoff game, unless I missed something in the article.

Did they ever think about the winning team that plays a brutal extra long overtime game, what their chances will be to win the next playoff game?...diminished that's for sure.

That being said, as long as the Eagles win the Super Bowl, about the rule change whaddo I care?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That being said, as long as the Eagles win the Super Bowl, about the rule change whaddo I care?

Goodell could automatically declare the Eagles the winner of any game tied after four quarters and it still wouldn't mean a damn thing...image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>That being said, as long as the Eagles win the Super Bowl, about the rule change whaddo I care?

Goodell could automatically declare the Eagles the winner of any game tied after four quarters and it still wouldn't mean a damn thing...image >>

Ya know, I said to myself I was gonna be nice to the Mets this season and not make any bad remarks here about them, but not now after that nasty comment about my Eagles. image

• PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Now, who is going to explain the new overtime rules to Donovan McNabb?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

• << <i>Now, who is going to explain the new overtime rules to Donovan McNabb? >>

Am I speaking Chinese?

<< <i>Now, who is going to explain the new overtime rules to Donovan McNabb? >>

Rush Limbaugh

• << <i>Better, but Id rather see the college type of OT... >>

+1
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    here's a great way to ensure yourself a possession in OT: play some friggin defense.
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>here's a great way to ensure yourself a possession in OT: play some friggin defense. >>

One could say that this rule was put in due to the PI call that prevented the Vikes defense from being successful vs. the Saints. Seems like they addressed a symptom with this fix, but not the problem.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    If the NFL were to use the college rules they'd need start the possessions farther back, like at the 35 or 40. From the 25 a team can play lockdown defense, not allow a single yard and still give up three points 80% of the time given the caliber of NFL kickers.

In reality, even though it "feels" unfair to have sudden death where a team can lose without ever having the ball in OT, it wasn't really unfair statistically until the kickoff was moved back to the 30 in 1994. From that point the coin toss winner has won 60% of the time. They could probably keep sudden death and keep it relatively "fair" statistically if the first possession simply started from the 20.