Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1893-S Morgan Will it grade ? Big Pics (results in)

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
Big pics at the bottom show the light scratch on front. also a rim ding.
Will it grade ?
And while there what would you grade it?

It Graded !!!!!!
F15

Comments

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say no because of the old X on the cheek that looks like it was intentionally put there. (The rim dinglet is no big deal IMO.)
    And that's a shame, because it's a nice looking Fine otherwise.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say yes, as the marks on a large silver coin are cosistent with the level of wear. yes, the X could've been graffiti, but it coul've just as easily been two random marks. I think they give it a pass as a key date, and maybe ding it a grade.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    My guess is no, due to the obverse mark and/or what looks as if it might be environmental damage on portions of the left side of the reverse.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F15...
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I think it will grade.
  • Options
    What do you have to lose? If it grades great; if it is put in a genuine holder for graffitti it still takes the concern away from a potential buyer that it is fake. JMHO.image
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    It'll grade at F12 if there is no environmental damage. The scratch and ding will probably be overlooked because it's a key...or knock it down to VG10 I guess.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say it will grade.

The 'X' doesn't look that bad.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I'd say 70% shot, put ti this way, send it in 3 times, it WILL grade.

That being said, I absolutely LOVE the look of that coin, I'm working on a Dansco set of Morgans with pretty much that exact same look.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is worth a shot.

The rim ding is no big deal the mark on the cheek may or may not be the problem.

Go for it!
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I think it has a better chance as a '93-S than as a more common date. Though in reality, getting it authenticated as genuine is 90% of the battle here.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    I vote yes - perhaps that X was made intentionally... either way it happened a long time ago, and has subsequently garnered enough patina to become consistent with over all original look of the coin, which alone makes this 93-S more market desirable than all the other washed out examples I typically see holdered in this grade range.

I am not seeing the environmental damage Mark is referring to...
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I say it'll grade at around F12. Sure it's got a few imperfections such as a corrosion spot on the nose and a couple marks on the cheek, but it's also got some real nice original skin to it which I think helps a bit.
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Maybe some reason for it to come back in a genuine holder, but for that coin, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
    Andrew
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I think it would probably grade.
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe it will grade.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F15 detail, the "X's" are fading (one more prevalent than the other). I'd give her an acetone bath to take care of the green spot on her nose and not be too surprised if it came back "Genuine"... L
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FINE-11.65

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    My guess is no, it won't get in a problem free holder at PCGS, as the x looks intentional. Otherwise, a very nice looking 93-s.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It'll grade at F12 if there is no environmental damage. The scratch and ding will probably be overlooked because it's a key...or knock it down to VG10 I guess. >>

im in this camp as well
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a) I call it VG10.

b) Take another look at the larger obverse pic- there are 2 (two) X's on the obverse- the obvious one on the cheek and a thinner but much larger one in the hair design.

c) It also has active corrosion at the nose.

d) Thus it will not grade and will slab Genuine only.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    I would hope it wouldn't grade. There shouldn't be one set of standards for key dates and a different set for common dates.

• Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    I believe it will.image
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genuine ... if it is. Possible corrosion in the fields and scratches on the cheek.

It is much too valuable a coin to be holdered without noting defects, especially in the charged grading environment we see today.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The TPG's are more forgiving with keys but I think this will "genuine". The scratches and environmental damage are too much.

Still, as others have said, this is a coin that will benefit from a genuine holder. I'd definitely submit it.

I like its look!
    Lance.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may grade because its a key date,but I would hope they put it in a genuine holder,if it is genuine!
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn shame about the X on the cheek.

I say submit it so it resides in a Genuine holder & can be sold later on.

You probably have a 25% chance of getting that holdered with a F grade, maybe "net" graded...
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of years ago I had a 27s Stading Liberty Quarter with an x in the field. It bodybagged at the time, I guess that means that it would land in a Genuine holder today.

So I am in the Genuine camp.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    VG08
  • Options
    Nocerino18Nocerino18 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Genuine
    Coin Superstore's Ebay Auctions
    Personal Ebay Auctions
    My Website
    ---------------------------------------------
    ALWAYS LOOKING TO PURCHASE
    TOP 100 MORGANS / HOT 50
    TOP 50 PEACE VAMS
  • Options
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It graded F15 >>

Congrats! image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the grade!

BUT in my OPINION:

If you're going to say you have standards and your grading is consistent, they should be applied evenly to all coins of a given type. If that coin was 1880-S, it would be in a genuine holder for graffiti or ED. I have seen more common Morgans dinged for FAR less. I would pay the same for an 1880-S to be certified, and I would expect the same treatment for it.

I would pass on that coin if I were considering buying it, especially at F-15 money, because to me it is a problem coin.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It graded F15 >>

See my unedited GTG. DANG! Only 1.35 of a grade off the mark.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which company graded it?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>Which company graded it? >>

PCGS Secure Plus
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    i think it will being a 93-s