Home U.S. Coin Forum

CBH alert - 1831 Bust Half - 1831 late state die crack? opinions, please

I purchased this low grade CBH because of what looked like a die crack on the reverse (from the neck to E on the reverse, above the right wing, and also near the C of 50 C). It's an 1831 O.112 and the Overton book doesn't list a die crack for this marriage. For all the nuts out there, do any of you have an 1831 O.112 with a similar die crack? Under a scope it appears to be a raised line - the toning also makes me think it might just be a stain. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
zap

zap1111
102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
BHNC #198

Comments

• Zap,

If you are certain that is a crack and not a scratch, that is something new! Any chance I could see the coin and image it?
  • zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Me thinks it's most likely a scratch - I put it under the microscope again - the "raised line" was probably just one side of the scratch being highlighted or accentuated - sort of like the debris on the side of a ditch, only a lot smaller. Metal was moved. I guess I was intrigued by the fact that it sort of circled around down near the 50 C. It reminded me of some of the die cracks on the 1811s, for example. Some die cracks are rather fine, too. I didn't see any cracks on any of the imaged O.112s on the various forum posts and sites. I'll see if I can't get some better images of it. My photo set up is not the best, as you can tell. Thanks!

Any other thoughts?
    zap1111
    BHNC #198
    ttt
    zap1111
    BHNC #198
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the line/crack/scratch continue under the E to the rim zap?
    If not, that is a pretty funky die crack for it not to extend to the rim. My bet would be - not a
    die crack without it connecting to the rim.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
    It's hard to tell if the "crack" runs through the E to the rim. From one angle it looks like it might - it's pretty worn. It takes an angle through the serifs on the "legs" of the E but I'm hard pressed to see it leaving the E an running to the rim. The lower line does, however, do just that, through the C and period into the rim. This has turned out to be an interesting coin for small money (and it's variety #84! I might make it to 100 before the college bills hit!!) Every once in a while I need to get a cheap but interesting variety to help out the BHNC application process.
    zap
    zap1111
    BHNC #198
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well some of those dies did break up in some wild ways.
    Based on your comments, I would send this coin to Brad and let
    the teacher teach the student. Just be sure to post his thoughts
    so I can learn along with you.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm....what's going on around star 9?

• Almost looks like a planchet flaw
    I was wondering about the area around star 9 when I looked at the photo. I went back to the coin and those marks are virtually invisible. It's amazing what the camera picks up!
    zap
    zap1111
    BHNC #198
  • QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, the reverse looks like a stain of some sort, it is not a die crack.

The obverse triangular item at star 9 is most likely a planchet lamination that is adheared to the surface of the coin.

There are many examples of planchet errors to be found on bust halves due to the large production runs and the crudeness of the equipment and technology involved in producing the coinage of this time period.

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    First off Alan, it is a Bust Half not a quarter.

The reason it looks like there are two different levels is that one of two things have happened.

Either there is an added substance where the stain is, or whatever caused the stain actually ate into the surface of the metal. Both of these things will make it look like there are two different levels.

The main fact is that it looks nothing like a die crack in any shape or form. All I can say is that after looking at enough coins, you can tell the difference.

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file