Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I bought a couple off-center Washingtons in the store today...Update grade is in 1st post

Slab um or not......opinions please!

imageimage

imageimage

Edited to add grade 9/6/10........

I sent the 1985 in........wheel marks?

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    What's going on with the date on the '88?

-Paul
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that "88 " P is very cool...looks like Klingon coinage!
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Chinese counterfeits.

• Options
    Is that 88 real?
    Funny looking date.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Here are a few more pics of the 88.......

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    ...Like the digit style on the 1988 !
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sumorada,

Be careful. I heard sometime last year (may have been CoinWorld or somewhere thereabouts) that the Chinese counterfeiters are doing error coins as well....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    That's really odd...I know some letters/numbers get distorted on off center and broadstruck coins, but that's just plain weird looking.

-Paul
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...Like the digit style on the 1988 ! >>

Yup. They look like chinese characters.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys are acting a bit paranoid, the 1988 digits are distorted from metal flow. I wouldn't submit them myself and the 1985 appears to have a counting wheel rub below the date that could bag it. They are nice off centers though!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange.Never seen eights like that.
  • Options

.....crazy 8's.......image

I have no clue, in hand these look and feel very legitimate, I was not aware the Chinese were making "Clad Errors".....and these are clad planchets..
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭

<< <i>Chinese counterfeits. >>

Correct. These "error" coins are showing up all over the place. In coin shows and shops in CA. I have seen numerous better date counterfeit error buffalo nickels being sold as real, only for the dealers to be disappointed in their over the counter purchases. BEWARE and know your coins.

TRUTH
  • Options

<< <i>You guys are acting a bit paranoid, the 1988 digits are distorted from metal flow. I wouldn't submit them myself and the 1985 appears to have a counting wheel rub below the date that could bag it. They are nice off centers though! >>

I hope Eric scored, but, having heard about chinese counterfeit "errors", I would rather be cautious than tell someone it's nothing to worry about.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    It's good to be wary of counterfeits, BUT, to suggest the coins are chinese counterfeits is over-the-top. The metal flow of the 1988 date is a way to authenticate it, not to question it.
  • Options

<< <i>It's good to be wary of counterfeits, BUT, to suggest the coins are chinese counterfeits is over-the-top. The metal flow of the 1988 date is a way to authenticate it, not to question it. >>

Where did I "suggest" they were chinese counterfeits? I urged caution due to there being chinese counterfeits, but I never "suggested" that was what they were.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's good to be wary of counterfeits, BUT, to suggest the coins are chinese counterfeits is over-the-top. The metal flow of the 1988 date is a way to authenticate it, not to question it. >>

Where did I "suggest" they were chinese counterfeits? I urged caution due to there being chinese counterfeits, but I never "suggested" that was what they were. >>

I am saying that there is no need to question these coins as 100% authentic US errors. To slab them or not is the OP's question. My statements are not directed at any one in particular.
  • Options

Just got the 1988 back, grade in first post.......
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice score Eric and hopefully these two'll pay for themselves! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The odd looking 8 is just metal flow and these are real errors imo.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned above, the numbers
    look strange due to Metal Flow.

The coins are genuine......

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file