Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

DALE EARNHARDT SR 1988 Maxx?

does anyone know what the story is with this card? i dont collect racing cards at all.. but i was looking to pick up a few of the big name rookies for my HOF non FB,BB,BB,hockey collection.... this card seems really $$$ and there arent very many on ebay. seems a bit strange to me. is this a short print or something?
Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    At one time the set of Maxx Nascar cards, the Myrtle Beach ones, was selling for over $1000. The first cards were marked Myrtle Beach on the back lower left corner. They are the expensive ones. The later ones were printed in Charlotte, I think. There are a lot of the insert cards, the ones with the company name and what the cards were that carry a premium. I believe one of the price guides used to list them, Tuff Stuff maybe. The one error card I remember was the Phil Parsons one. It did not have his wife's name on the back. There are other error cards in the set but my memory fails me. If you have many of them it would be worth your while to look into them a little closer. I could have bought a set of the Myrtle Beach ones on the day they arrived at my card shop for $14 and told the guy they would never amount to anything. Bought 2 packs, got a Bill Elliott and was happy. I was just lucky that one of the cards I got was the Phil Parsons error card. At one time the Parson's error was going for over $100.

Ron

Edited to add the last sentence.
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Melvin is correct in what he said. The Myrtle Beach version is more expensive than the Charlotte.

If you are looking for Jeff Gordon's best rookie it is in the 1987 World of Outlaws set which show up on ebay frequently. I bought a few sets off ebay and sent the Gordon in for grading and received a PSA 10. Great card and one I will keep forever as he is my driver.
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    1988 Maxx (Charlotte)
    This set contains cards from the second and third printing of 1988 Maxx. The Charlotte name refers to what was believed to be the location of the second and third printings, although all three printings took place at the same location. The set is often called the "First Annual Edition" by collectors. It contains numerous variations from the Myrtle Beach set. The cover cards were printed with two different starburst descriptions (pack versus factory set) in both the Charlotte and Myrtle Beach versions. During the second printing, 10 cards including the two variations of the cover card were changed. The Myrtle Beach notation was removed from the four checklist cards. The special offer price ($19.95) was changed prior to the second printing to $21.45 on the cover cards. The Talladega Streaks #10 card was eliminated to make room for Darrell Waltrip. Checklist #19 was changed to reflect this move. On card #26 Phil Parsons, his wife’s name was included in the family section on the back of the card. It was excluded in the first Myrtle Beach printing. During the third printing of the set, six cards were changed. The #59 1988 Begins card was eliminated to make room for the #59 Brett Bodine card. Checklist #69 was changed to reflect this move. The #43 Daytona International Speedway card was changed to card #47. The #47 Single File card was eliminated. Richard Petty was included in the set on card #43. Checklist #36 was updated to reflect the changes on cards #43 and #47. On the #88 Ken Bouchard card, the family section was changed to reflect the fact that he and his fiancée, Heidi, were married during the season. There is also a card #99 of Dale Earnhardt that was originally wasn’t released due to Maxx not getting approval from Dale. The card was later issued with a sticker on it via an insert redemption in the 1994 Maxx Medallion. There are known counterfeits of the #99 of Dale Earnhardt.
    PSA Set
  • Options
    The Myrtle Beach (First Edition)
    This was Maxx’s first attempt at producing a mass-market racing product. The Myrtle Beach (First Edition) set contains 100 cards including a cover card and four checklists. The set was initially introduced at the 1988 Coca-Cola 600 in Charlotte. The Myrtle Beach name was attached to this set due to the printer’s notation on the four checklists. The 100 standard size cards comprising this set were issued in complete factory sets.Ten-card shrink-wrapped packs were packaged in 44-count boxes and in 1989 Maxx combo packs containing three 10-card ’88 packs. It is important to note the combo packs contain cards from all three printings of this set. The cover card from this set was produced with two different descriptions located in the yellow starburst on the front of the card. The cover card in the factory set reads “100 collector cards…” while the cover card in the shrink-wrapped packs shows “10 collector cards…” The scarce nature of this set is attributable to the ten variations which this set contains. Supposedly 10,000 of the Myrtle Beach sets were produced. The cards listed below are the ten Myrtle Beach variations. Source 11th Edition Beckett Racing Collectables Price Guide.

PSA Set
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    so the #99 card was never released? the only way to get it is in the 1994 issue with the sticker on it? did any surface?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    I think some were in the early Myrtle Beach packs. I opened an early sealed Myrtle Beach set and there was no Earnhardt in it. I think more got out when Upper Deck bought Maxx. That's what I meant about the 1994 issue. Upper Deck released them in some of their products. About 5 years ago some counterfeits surfaced and PSA stopped grading them until they figured out the counterfeits. I’m not sure if you know this but his first card is the 1983 UNO set. He is also in the 1986 SportStars set.
    That's what's great about NASCAR cards, Vintage is 1972, 1983 and 1986!

1986 Sportstar Photo-Graphics - My Set

1983 Uno Racing - kingnascar's Set

1972 STP Racing
  • Options
    cool, thanks for the info. any info on the 83 or 86 sets? are the cards $$$? what about richard petty? i see on the pop report that h has a card from 72. is this a regular size card? anyone know anything about it? thabks for the info
  • Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭

<< <i> I think more got out when Upper Deck bought Maxx. >>

that doesn't surprise me
  • Options
    eagles33,
    The 1972 STP cards are hard to find but they do come up on eBay and are standard size. The 1983 UNO's popped up in 2006 -2007 from a find but they have dried up. The UNO cards are a little smaller than standard size. The 1986 cards popup as well on eBay but the Earnhardt pops up once or twice a year. The 1986 cards are oversized. One 1986 Earnhardt just sold for $240 raw on eBay. The last 1983 Earnhardt I saw was around $75. The 83 and 86 Petty go for 20 - 30. I know I am over the place but I hope that made sense.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    eagles33,

Here are a couple of examples of the 72 STP that I own so you can see what STP look like. These have been autographed by Motorsports HOF drivers Petty and Baker.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
  • Options
    Nascar,
    Thanks for all of the info and scans. How much do the STP petty's go for if and when they do appear on ebay. I never knew the prices for racing cards was so strong. Looks like its going to be tougher to get a Earnhardt rookie than i thought. I'll wait for a psa 7 or 8 of the 1988 maxx promo to pop up on ebay.. I just picked up a 1969 Mario Andretti Panini card for around 20 bucks. I guess he isn't as popular as Earnhardt. Thanks again for the info and scans.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    What about a Tim Richmond auto? Do they really exist in any amount?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I've been looking for a Tim Richmond. The big sigs go for $175 - $250.
  • Options
    ESPN is doing a 30 and 30 movie about him. I hope it spurs people to remember him. His collectibles should be worth more than they are. I have never seen a cut auto on the bay yet, but I only started looking recently.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    His story is a good one. Gone way too soon and NASCAR swept him under the rug. There is some good footage of him in the Rick Hendrick movie.
  • Options
    Its hard to believe his story hasn't been made into a full movie yet. I want to know the whole story about his suspension. I read that Richard Petty lead a host of drivers that wanted him gone because they were convinced he was on drugs and that was why he acted so strange and got sick all the time. Even after it came out he had aids nobody from NASCAR or any of those drivers would say sorry. Hell it is pretty much on record they faked the false positive because Petty and others threatened to walk out of Daytona. Petty in recent interviews still says he thinks Tim was on drugs.

Funny thing is Kyle Petty was one of his biggest supporters along with Dale Earnhardt.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    Mike, thanks for the scans of those cards!

That has to be the ONLY picture of Petty without sunglasses....
    now i know why Petty ALWAYS WEARS SUNGLASSES....he has little rabbitt eyes!
  • Options
    Morgoth,
    Everyone thinks Days Of Thunder was about Jeff Gordon but it was about Tim Richmond. If you have NetFlix watch "Together: The Hendrick Motorsports Story" They have some interviews Tim did. They don't talk too much about how NASCAR treated him.
  • Options
    I started watching it last night on You Tube, I got to the part where they brought Tim on but haven't got to anything after that.

I knew Days of Thunder was about Tim, but it morphed Tim and Geof Bodine into one person really. The relationship between Tim and his crew chief was there, Geof and his early feuds with Dale Sr. etc. The driver they brought on to make it a double team was supposed to have been Jeff Gordon right?

Anyway, I am watching the rest of the Hendrick story tonight.

Until someone without a vested interest in keeping Nascar happy does a story on Tim we won't get a full story. I don't think the 30 and 30 movie will go into details on his ousting at Nascar, the inner workings on what drivers were doing behind the scenes and how Nascar internally viewed Tim, his disease and how to get rid of him.

The book on Tim was done by a Nascar insider who still wanted to stay in good graces. Dr. Jerry Punch seemed to be closer to him than anyone so I wonder if he will attempt to fill in some gaps as supposedly he was treating Tim during this period.

• Options
    Just picked up the book "Tim Richmond, The Fast Life and Remarkable Times of NASCAR's Top Gun".
  • Options
    what is a fair price the 88 maxx card raw.. there are couple on ebay now.. but i have no idea if there were a lot of fakes or not... will psa grade these as promos? i see some in the pop report
  • Options
    i ended up picking one up raw for 40 bucks including shipping.. we'll see how it grades... The person i spoke to said he has quite a few of them and got them from someone who worked at the maxx factory.. his shop is in charlotte. He said some are in terrible shape.. but some nr mint. hopefully mine will grade 7 or 8.. i'll post scans once i get it. the only racing card that i need to track down now is the 1972 stp petty..
  • Options
    Sorry I did not get the scan out there. I am working on some scans so you can see the difference in the real and fake ones. Where is the shop?
  • Options
    its baseballbill on ebay.. he is selling lots of 2 and 4.. i didn't want to risk that much.. if they were fake.. figured i'd take a chance on a one raw one.. and hope it grades. it seemed like a tough card since i don't see them ebay that often.. and then this guy comes along with bunch of them.
  • Options
    OK Here we go.
    Spot A Counterfeit Earnhardt RC (PDF File)

Back (Right one is fake) - Look were the line "Kelly King, Ralph Dale, Jr. Kerry" ends on top of "TOP 10"
    On the real one it stops at "TOP 10" on the fake the font is different and ends after "TOP 10"
  • Options
    AM Bump
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I compared the scans he sent to the scans you provided.. and it matches the real one. I'll be subbing it soon as part of my free subs for re-upping my membership.. i think its up this month. Thanks again for the useful info. Do you know how much the 72 stp Petty usually goes for? i still haven't seen one pop up on ebay
  • Options
    I haven't seen one on eBay in a good while. It is going to depend on condition and a few registry guys might go after it if it’s in high grade. I picked up two a few years back with paper loss on the corners. They were in plastic screw downs with no plastic sleeve so the paper stuck to the holder when it was opened. I think I paid 35 each for them. Waiting to get them signed in person. The 1972 STP set is the T206 and 1952 Topps set of Racing!
  • Options
    is the paper loss on the front or back? i;m too concerned about the grade... any suggestions where i should look other than ebay? i don't know much about racing or racing cards but i would like to pick up the the big name HOFer rookies.. the petty card an an 87 jeff gordon are the only other ones i need. the gordon seems pretty common on ebay but i've never seen the petty card.