Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why we’re sending Lord Marcovan to England-update!

Why we’re sending Lord Marcovan to England.

Has a nice ring to it, yes?

What was once a passing fancy is now (thanks to many of you) a dream half-realized.
The dream? The one we all have of detecting for precious coins and metals in special places,
of treasure hunting, of discovering secrets.
The dream which children have when they are young which remains with us into adulthood
is seemingly about to come true in a major way for one of our own-
Robertson W. Shinnick, Numismatist, better known on these forums as Lord Marcovan.

When I joined these forums years ago, Rob presented something of a unique figure to a know-nothing newbie.
The holey hat and vest were mightily impressive, and the breadth of knowledge he possessed
and the talent he had for communicating made for a rather larger than life figure.

I discovered that Rob had a passion for metal detecting,
something he’s probably passed on to many a forum member.
He’s written many times over the years about his digging experiences,
weaving a slow, delicious tapestry of words into a body of work.

I enjoy his digger stories and have always looked forward to his next installment.
Over those same years I also discovered his compassionate nature and observed him
(on more than one occasion) performing kindnesses large and small for many of the members,
myself included.

So, recently when a suggestion was made to send Lord M to England
for the purpose of turning over the Queen’s sod, I appreciated the karma.
I thought it would make perfect sense for Rob to go and treasure hunt,
then write about the trip and report back to us daily in word and image
so the forums might live the dream with him, in real time!

I started a thread asking for contributions. The positive response was immediate.
It was also off-topic, and we had to move the thread.
At this point fate intervened in the form of Spoon,
who was able to create a blog to continue the effort (almost overnight)!
Without him, none of this would be happening and he is owed a huge debt of gratitude.
His is the knowledge that fuels this effort.

As a result, today we have: http://diggersdiary.numispedia.org/
with a total so far of 52 forum contributors
who have purchased 135 shares at $15 apiece for a total of $2045
(gathered in about two weeks) which I think is remarkable!

However, at this point the dream is only half-realized.
We’ve got at least $2000+ to go and only a couple of months left to do it in.
To help us, please visit the site and click on the link "How you can help support the trip"for specifics.
Look at the contributors list and join your brothers and sisters
from all over the world in sending Lord Marcovan to England.

Wear the yellow smiley!
Please participate in our numerous and on-going giveaways!
Thank you Don Willis for permission to post this here and for wishing us good luck.image

Ed to add:55 contributors
147 pledged shares
$2225 total pledged
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    1 ttt for the new week-thanks to several new contributors and donated coin bidders
    who added well over $200 to our trip fund!! Visit the lordM site for these updates.

I won't be ttt-ing this thread again so let me express my strong appreciation at this time
    to US coin forum members for past and future donations.imageimage
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fixed link

Good luck, Sean
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a grand idea. I'm anxious to read about the trip.
    Lance.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Lets get Lord Marcovan to hole some silver eagles and get pcgs to put them in genuine holders and sell them for the trip. He could also use for barter/trade and an intro to the forum over thereimage---------------------------------------------------BigE

edited to say he could counterstamp them in some way instead of holing so they couldn't be duplicated in case they triple in valueimageimage
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    He could also use for barter/trade and an intro to the forum over the

We have a recent ongoing correspondence with a club in So. Wales UK, which I will partially reprint here:

"Hi Laurent,
    Very nice to here from you.

The Swansea Club is one of 4 Clubs situated in South Wales.UK, when it comes to metal
    Detecting we are the poor relations to the clubs situated in England in that we have to work
    very hard for good finds, where as the clubs situated in England, particularly the South East
    have the best locations for Medeival and Roman finds.

I am going to forward your email to the National Council for Metal Detecting (NCMD for Short)
    in the hope that they can advise you of the best course of action. You will find thier web site
    at www.ncmd.co.uk On the web site you will find all of the NCMD registered clubs with
    contact details should you wish to pursue your enquiry with them direct.

You don't say when your 'Long Time Member' is likely to travel to the UK, it's just that from around
    April the Rally season starts which goes on until around October. Two very good ones to look out for
    are The Coinshooters Rally and the Weekend Wanderers Rally, you should be able to find details via
    Google. These two Rallys are held on two different weekends a couple of weeks apart. His visit may be
    able to coincide with these two events. I went to the Weekend Wanderers Rally last year and there
    were tremendous finds made, including a Saxon Buriel Ground. These Rallys cost about £20 a day to attend
    with camping for the weekends usually free. There lots of one day rallies around the UK as well."

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    Count me in. HM
  • Options
    I swear it’s posts like this that keep me going. image It came to me but is obviously directed to Rob under the heading:Purchase 1 share of your adventure…. :

Hello. have read many of your Collector’s Forum posts and would be honored to help support your trip to the old world. My Collector’s forum ID is Heavymetal -love your hat.

Another valuable pledged share of $15. Like grains of sand, with the right wind, they can add up to a mighty force… image

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭
    Lord M,
    Before you take off for England, do some checking about the treasure trove laws and also the pipe locating license (aka Medal Detecting license). It's been many years since I was there (1973 - 1976) and I had one of the earliest BFO detectors (can't remember the name but it had a blue case, was advertised in a lot of magazines and it cost about $225 and included 2 coils). Anyway, be that as it may, I had to get a pipe locating license just to use the thing in my back yard and the Treasure Trove laws say that what you find isn't really yours unless they want it to be yours.
    To keep this on topic and coin related, I was surprised as I visited with my English neighbors as to how many of them had American coinage, most left over from the yanks and World War II. They were all treasured keepsakes so there were none for sale. The local coin shop did get the once and a while US coin and I was able to pick up some double eagles for $60 each plus VAT (value added tax). I bought a few other gold coins back when gold was pegged at 40 or 60 dollars an ounce but it wasn't legal for me to bring them back to the states. Did anyway...
    My landlord was a pretty well off farmer and he let me look through some of his stuff. He had a big bag of the old octaginal 3 pence pieces that he used for counters when people would pick his crops. They turned in the counters at the end of the day and got paid for how much they picked backed on the number of 3 pence they had. He also had a bag of 100 gold soverigns but for some reason he wouldn't let me pick dates out of there like he did with the 3 pence.
    Cliff
  • Options
    Glad thngsare going well, can't wait to read about the tripimage-------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps I missed something, but why are we sending him to England?

Also if we are sending LordM to England perhaps we should wait until later this winter when travelling to England becomes much more affordable. The country gets very crowded and expensive during the summers.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget bail money!!! That Lord M is a party animal!! imageimage
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    <<<<Also if we are sending LordM to England perhaps we should wait until later this winter when travelling to England becomes much more affordable. The country gets very crowded and expensive during the summers.>>>>>

Writings of his metal detecting escapades are a great read, shareholders get a piece of the pie if he finds something and as far as going to England in the winter, I wouldn't want to go even if I didn't have to metal detect and dig in the frozen ground---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    I thought it was so Rob could visit image

hole in the wall pub London
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<<<Also if we are sending LordM to England perhaps we should wait until later this winter when travelling to England becomes much more affordable. The country gets very crowded and expensive during the summers.>>>>>

Writings of his metal detecting escapades are a great read, shareholders get a piece of the pie if he finds something and as far as going to England in the winter, I wouldn't want to go even if I didn't have to metal detect and dig in the frozen ground---------BigE >>

Yes, it's colder and the days are shorter but then he'll have more of England to himself without having to fight those throngs of Eastern European package tourists for space. The 60% of costs saved is well worth the weather sacrifice.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    I sent my check this morning.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    So what ever happened with this? I havent heard or read of any updates.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Any news on this? Over $2700 was pledged by forum members. What happened with the money raised?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was illegal to metal detect in England. Seriously, isn't there a law in England regarding found treasure or something along that line?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems a lot of people were gung ho about this for a while last year, then it kinda fizzled. If he doesn't go, then what becomes of the funds?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    good question.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I ponied up $500... it'd be nice to see an article or my $500! image

I sent an e-mail to Laurent/Robertson last nite... this is a timely rethread! image

I noticed Laurent hasn't been on this forum since March. I hope he's doing well?
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I thought money was only promised if the goal was met???
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the OP:

"We’ve got at least $2000+ to go and only a couple of months left to do it in."

Why was there a time restriction, and since it has now passed and then some...what now for those who contributed?

Edit to add: that "diggersdiary" link doesn't work...

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no story here-- and it is legal to metal detect in England as long as you follow the law. In fact, they've got a really sweet spot over in the UK where museums and metal detectorists work together instead of against eachother. If you find something culturally significant you get credit for the find and a museum will pay you fair market value.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>Edit to add: that "diggersdiary" link doesn't work... >>

Link
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He did announce his self on BST a few days ago...kinda an odd place to sell hello...

Monday June 06, 2011 7:19 AM (NEW!)

Hopefully I don't have anything still pending except some overdue giveaways I pledged a good while back (which I will honor eventually), but for those who've expressed concern about my long absence from the forums, be assured that I yet live and breathe. I'm just in "Yeti" mode, as we call it over on the Darkside forum.

When I'm in these periodic absences from the forums, I'm usually absent from the Internet altogether, so emailing me doesn't do much good.

If anybody needs to get 'hold of me, you can call 912-261-8408 and ask for Rob.

In the meantime, I hope y'all are having a pleasant summer. Mine has mostly consisted of working and sleeping lately. It's peak season at the beach resort where I work, and it's gettin' hot and humid down here. If I'm not at the hotel, you'll find me hiding in the bedroom, huddled up next to the new air conditioner.

(Edit- I should have known I'd get at least one phone call from a merry prankster. Yep, it's bound to happen when you put your phone number out there. But it was more amusing and intellectually stimulating than email spam, anyway.)

Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>He did announce his self on BST a few days ago...kinda an odd place to sell hello...

Monday June 06, 2011 7:19 AM (NEW!)

Hopefully I don't have anything still pending except some overdue giveaways I pledged a good while back (which I will honor eventually), but for those who've expressed concern about my long absence from the forums, be assured that I yet live and breathe. I'm just in "Yeti" mode, as we call it over on the Darkside forum.

When I'm in these periodic absences from the forums, I'm usually absent from the Internet altogether, so emailing me doesn't do much good.

If anybody needs to get 'hold of me, you can call 912-261-8408 and ask for Rob.

In the meantime, I hope y'all are having a pleasant summer. Mine has mostly consisted of working and sleeping lately. It's peak season at the beach resort where I work, and it's gettin' hot and humid down here. If I'm not at the hotel, you'll find me hiding in the bedroom, huddled up next to the new air conditioner.

(Edit- I should have known I'd get at least one phone call from a merry prankster. Yep, it's bound to happen when you put your phone number out there. But it was more amusing and intellectually stimulating than email spam, anyway.)
    >>

Laurent organized the event... Rob didn't even know about it until after Laurent started soliciting "shares." I don't believe Rob has ever received anything (to date).
  • Options
    JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭
    I killed it by being the last contributor. image

• Options
    People should be refunded their money.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options

<< <i>People should be refunded their money. >>

Hey, what about me? image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish Laurent all the best but I too am curious.

For all the U.S. coin forum members who don't wander over to the Darkside and who may have missed this post

Text
  • Options
    I just received this email from Laurent:

"Good morning, yes, as far as I know the trip is still on. When I talked to LordM a couple of months ago he was enthusiastic about the trip later this year. He mentioned his dad was going to contribute to help reach his $ goal and that was one of the things he was waiting on. Sincerely, Laurent"

I'll call Robertson later today to verify... I donated the $500 while I was stationed in Afghanistan hoping to hear some news while I was still in Country. Looks like I might be back in Afghanistan before LordMs goes... if he goes! image
  • Options
    TTT... whatever happened with this?
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    All this time has gone by and no one is held accountable?
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    Laurent basically collected the money and disappeared. Lord M had no idea he was even collecting money.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, a sorry situation. I donated a big chunk too. Poof.
    Lance.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Laurent basically collected the money and disappeared. Lord M had no idea he was even collecting money. >>

I do not believe this is entirely correct. If I recall correctly, LordM was not aware that the collection had started, but soon after the idea was hatched he was on board with his support of the endeavor. As such, I would think that LordM might be able to shed some light on the $2,000+ of forum money that was pledged and/or given toward his goal.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Laurent basically collected the money and disappeared. Lord M had no idea he was even collecting money. >>

That sounds a lot like fraud to me??????

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

I wrote off my small contribution a while ago. First and only negative experience I've had on the forums luckily.

• Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    WOW! image

Why didnt Lord M ever chime in on this???????????
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the tropics in winter...........Hey, have I got a deal for your forum folks.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it never ceases to amaze me what people will do to get money. talk about karma!
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    This should have been sent to the authorties!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have Eric's (BigE ) phone number stored in my phone . There's no answer. Just did a deal with LordM not long ago. Any word on llafoe ? Missed this thread before.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This should have been sent to the authorties! >>

it's across state lines and more than $400 as well.
  • Options
    Even if Laurentyvan didn't collect enough $$ to fund the trip, all the money he did collect should have gone to LordM. There's no way the organizer should have kept that money.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A couple of questions:
    who is this laurent guy?
    why when it was discocvered that LordM had no idea of the trip wasn't this Laurent guy racked over the coals?
    why hasn't been this Laurent guy racked over the coals since LordM never recieved the funds to go on the trip? >>

Read it againt Al. LordM knew about the trip and the "pledges for support" but did not know that money was actually being collected.

<< <i>(Until rather recently, I was blissfully unaware that the funds had actually been collected rather than just pledged). >>

In short, the pledges were supposed to be due when the total amount for the trip had been pledged but I guess some folks went ahead and paid.

I'd cut laurentyvan some slack. It is, after all, only money.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This guy has not even visited the forum in almost a year (mar 2011.) In his profile is a hotmail email address. Has anyone tried emailing it to see if you get a response?

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file