Home Sports Talk
Options

Coldest temps on Opening Day, Twins or Red Sox???

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Twins open on April 2nd 5:10PM against the STL.
The Red Sox open on April 4th 8:05PM against the NYY.

Anyone care to guess which will be the coldest and what the temperatue might be? Having frozen a time or two in Fenway, I'll go with Boston and the temperature will be 39 degrees or LOWER. Those in the new open air Target Stadium in Minnesota will probably have a heat wave in the upper 40s. Tough cookies those Twinkie fans, I doubt they'll even notice the weather. Either way, I'm glad I'll be in the recliner enjoying from the comfort of a warm home and HD tv.

Could be the person guessing the coldest venue and temperature gets a ticket to the AS game with Perkdog's Perkies in tow. Guess well!!

Comments

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Never mind opening at home, which is a terrible idea to begin with for both of those teams - they are playing the games at night! I'll say Minnesota will be colder, but that won't make me feel any better when I'm freezing my a$$ off at Fenway.....thanks, ESPN.
  • Options
    Actually these last 3 weeks have been great, well above average. Who knows what it will be , could suddenly drop to 10 degrees.
    I will tell you what though, who WOULDNT want to watch a game in snowfall, bitter temps, etc.
    I love watching a football game in rain, sleet, snow, wind, whatever. Adds to the game IMO.

LET IT SNOW JOE !
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it should be in the 20s in Boston, maybe with wind chill making it even more pleasant.

Starting pitchers will be heard saying to fellow pitchers before the game, "I'm not the number one, I always thought you were better than I am, you should pitch today, you deserve it"
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    In 1996 it snowed at Yankee Stadium Opening Day...Pettite Pitched....Steinbrenner gave us free tickets to all who attended...we picked game vs seattle in August....Doc pitched his No-no that day! yeah!
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    I believeit snowed a few years ago at opening day in Cleveland. At the very least they should not be playing
    night games in northern climates until much later in April.
  • Options

<< <i>I believeit snowed a few years ago at opening day in Cleveland. At the very least they should not be playing
    night games in northern climates until much later in April. >>

Yes it did, but they should have played !
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I believeit snowed a few years ago at opening day in Cleveland. At the very least they should not be playing

Tell me about it - the Rangers went through a decade-long streak of always opening on the road in the Northeast. I don't think we finished more than one or two of those series without a weather-related postponement.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    The scheduling of MLB games has never made sense to me. They've figured out that Spring Training is best played in the southern part of the country, why not keep the games as far south as possible for a couple weeks and move north as the temperatures move north? Besides, I'm sure both teams would rather play games in Texas in April rather than August.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    MLB catches a huge break as the weather is supposed to be in the high 50s/low 60s at first pitch. I almost wish it was snowed out, so we wouldn't be subjected to Opening Night ever again. I hate the idea of opening on Sunday night, it takes away everything that Opening Day is supposed to be about.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yes it did, but they should have played ! >>

If I remember correctly which I seldom do at my age I think Cleveland played their first home series in Milwaukee. I also agree Opening Day should be opening day with the Reds getting things started.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    "If I remember correctly which I seldom do at my age I think Cleveland played their first home series in Milwaukee. I also agree Opening Day should be opening day with the Reds getting things started."

I believe that is correct as the weather was horrible in Cleveland.

The Yankees at Red Sox Sunday night is all about TV ratings and a marquee matchup on a night when most
    people are at home.