Home Sports Talk

How about that State Hockey Tourney!

sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
Best time of year even the Gophers are brutal.

Hard to imagine a better game than the "A" semi-final today. 7-6 Hermantown in OT after surviving a game winning goal that beat the buzzer, but was ruled too late via the clock replay. Double OT tonight between 'tonka and Hill. Hill deserves this one, but who knows what will happen and how late.

Comments

• sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    More free hockey. Heading to third OT. Berth in the state final on the line.
    I realize I'm talking to myself, but we are heading to the 4th OT. These kids have been killing each other for a long time. Fresh ice, tired players. I think we get a winner soon.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love the young'uns grinding it out in the playoffs.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    my brother's step son was on the Padua high school state champs here in Ohio a few years ago. He was a junior on that team...was one of his proudest moments, they lost in the final game his senior year..... any high school sport is awesome and if you can be state champs it makes it even more of a memory. My son plays basketball and he made a game tieing 3 at the buzzer of a game his freshman year, his team eventually won in OT and I tell him all the time to treasure any of the successes you have because it's something a lot of folks don't get to experience. I still remember when I was at Fort Hood back in 1973 whem our HQ company ended up second on the base for softball. Most of us were pencil pushers but we embarressed a lot of the teams on base that year...still have all the pictures and memories from then.... al.
    Minnetonka the top rated team in Minnesota beat traditional power Hill Murray in the 4th OT. The shots through regulation was 32-9 in Hill Murray's favor. The game changed in the 2nd OT and 'tonka picked up the pace. Final shots were in the high forties for Hill and over thirty for 'tonka.

Tonight the final features Minnetonka and Edina. Top two teams in the state. Edina should have better legs, but it will come down to goalie play. Last nights attendance was over 19,000. Tonight with two metro teams they are planning on breaking the record for the Xcel Energy center.
  • If you look at the national high school rankings, a lot of the top high school teams in the country are from Minnesota.

That doesn't necessarily mean top 10 draft picks in the draft. I think most of our recent top 10 picks have come
    from Buffalo, New Jersey, St. Louis, and a few other places I can't think of.

So my question is, who are a few of the Minnesota kids that have gone in the top 20 or so picks in the 1st round.
    They would have to be born and raised in Minnesota.
    Off the top of my head, here are some 1st round Gophers or Minnesota born:

Wheeler, Okposo, EJ (#1), Oshie, Schroeder, Kessel, Vanek, Ballard, Taffe, McDonagh, Finley, White, Fischer, Parise.

Most of these guys played in the State tourney at one point in their lives.

Overall not that many, but certainly our share. The reason the high school teams are rated so high is it is the only place where most of the kids play for their communities. Most other places kids send their kids to Juniors or Prep schools. This is starting to happen in Minnesota as well with the top end of the top end kids.

----

Edina defeated Minnetonka relatively easily in the final. Still an awesome tourney.
  • True. Most prep school kids get drafted high. James Van Reimsdyk is from New Jersey but went to Christian Brothers Academy prep school.
    He was taken #2 behind Patrick Kane from Buffalo, NY. Not sure what high school Patrick went to, or if he played junior. A lot of the Boston kids go to prep schools too, kids like Jeremy Roenicke. Not many go to public high schools.

Blake Wheeler is a Minnesota kid ? That guy can play. Would have much rather seen him on team USA then Malone. Much better all around player then Malone.