Home Stamps Forum
Options

What have I gotten myself into?

laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
I told my sister-in-law yes when she asked me to catagorize and sell her dad's stamp collection.

I have three rather large cardboard boxes in my possession now, all full.
Little bit of everything, sheets, blocks of four, albums for foreign and US, 1000's of stamps cut off envelopes, etc, etc.

Hellllp meeeee! (squeeky voice)

I've begun doing the obligatory eBay homework, perusing 100's of auction results and making notes on what seems to work.

I'll offer my store address here and invite some of you to visit the half dozen stamp auctions I did put up. I chose what was easiest to do immediately.
store

I invite critique and hope for advice.
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    I didn't see many stamps listed.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I didn't see many stamps listed.

No, you wouldn't... I only put up half a dozen, toe in the water type of thing.

Of the ones you did see, is there any critique?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    My wife and I inherited something similar recently - a dozen medium boxes full of mint sheets, blocks, various covers, commemorative panels, first day covers, and used stamps on paper.

I sold the mint sheets and blocks first as large lots (a few hundred $ each). I pulled out other interesting things (like "dear doctor" postcards and FDCs) and sold them as lots. I haven't listed it yet, but one of the more interesting things I found was a 1950s burned crash cover and accomanying body bag envelope with explanatory note from the Post Office. The next thing to sell are the commorative panels (as lots grouped by year). Eventually u will get to the FDCs. As far as the stamps on paper, I will hold onto them to pick put stuff for my own collection. As you can tell, my wife's grandpa was more an accumulator and casual collector - just getting current stuff from the post office, some FD and event covers, and whatever happened to come in his own mail (the crash cover, the dear doctor postcards, and the dear doctor FDCs).

As far as suggestions, if you have a bunch of mint sheets, there was a post on the BST forum looking to but some.

Matt