Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1909 S VDB vs 1909 VDB MPL: poll now over.

S VDB 61% Looks like the legendary 1909 S VDB is still the favorite.
PR VDB 39%

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Brian,
    I voted "no". What makes the most expensive coin in a series OR the rarest coin in a series the KEY coin in the series? The 1909SVDB business strike has historically been the KEY coin in the Lincoln cent series. The fact that the coin is readily available to purchase for collectors helps to maintain that status. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Brian,
    I voted "no". What makes the most expensive coin in a series OR the rarest coin in a series the KEY coin in the series? The 1909SVDB business strike has historically been the KEY coin in the Lincoln cent series. The fact that the coin is readily available to purchase for collectors helps to maintain that status. JMHO. Steveimage >>

I think they are the most popular in their own series?

MS Lincolns 1909 to Date

MP Lincolns 1909-1916

Edited to add: when I was a kid filling holes in the blue whitman folder I didn't know that a 1909 VDB Matte Proof cent existed, all I knew was the 1909 S VDB was the "KING" I bet allot of kids are on their computer's voting for their favorite right now image
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Brian,
    I voted "no". What makes the most expensive coin in a series OR the rarest coin in a series the KEY coin in the series? The 1909SVDB business strike has historically been the KEY coin in the Lincoln cent series. The fact that the coin is readily available to purchase for collectors helps to maintain that status. JMHO. Steveimage >>

Nicely put...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    The VDB Matte proof is obviously the "key" to the series. The "key" to a series is determined by a mixture of mintage and availability.
    Obviously the VDB MPL has the lowest mintage (for a regular minted coin, aka not an error) and extremely low availability.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For 99% of Lincoln collectors out there, the SVDB will remain the key, and the king of all Lincolns. This is a requirement, as most collectors can wrap their head around it, and this will continue to promote and ensure the popularity of the series.

On the upside, threre are probably a million Lincoln collectors out there, which leaves about 10,000 of us that know better.