Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What's it Friday. Can you identify them? Post yours to identify too.

This one seems like lead but is very thin. Back is blank.
No idea on this one.
This one has driven me nuts for years. I still have no ideas.
This one has just enough details to make it seem possible to identify.

Thanks,
Richard
Post some of your tough ones too.

Comments

• spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    The capital letters in the first one form a chronogram: mivldicvvili = mdcllvvviiii = 1734 (though it looks like there is another date in exergue, can't fully make that out)

Some kinda Irish/Hibernia token?

I know I've seen that arm before, can't find anything online other than Zachary Taylor's family arms (which I'm pretty sure isn't it! image )... I also seem to recall seeing it as a military insignia, but I'm braindead on what that may have been... (also not helpful!). I wonder if it was a uniform button, the mark on reverse seems to look like it was a button, whether it was made as such or later turned into one??

Gotta be an Italian state... they tend to be crude, heavily circulated and clipped like that and I don't know of many other places that used horses on coins so often, plus there are a couple that have arms like that... I could be wrong though!

Well, that's a start image
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    The second one is a Conder token from Dublin. The token is one of many minted for the Hibernian Mine Company. The obverse shows Hibernia seated, holding a harp and normally includes the legend INCORPORATED BY ACT OF PARLIAMENT and the year (1792?). The reverse features the cypher HMCo and the normal legend is CAMAC KYAN AND CAMAC HALFPENNY.

There are a large number of designs associated with these tokens with subtle differences between varieties listed in the Dalton & Hamer book (ex. number of strings in the harp, position of the head in relation to the legend, position of the cypher with the legend, etc). There are also a number of mules and contemporary counterfiets, both of which are collected alongside the commercial varieties.

Due to its current state it would be impossible to identify the exact D&H variety.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    The first one, not exactly the same but similar to this medal:

http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=737021&AucID=538&Lot=2924

Yours is an obverse lead squeeze. Could have been made at any date.

I thought I'd seen that bust before and remembered seeing it on a medalic ducat, which I've found:

http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=754251&AucID=551&Lot=142
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>#1
    The capital letters in the first one form a chronogram: mivldicvvili = mdcllvvviiii = 1734 (though it looks like there is another date in exergue, can't fully make that out) >>

The date in exergue says "ET 48 AN 1531"

At 48 years (of age) in 1531?

Obviously the 1734 date makes more sense than 1531.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Here's my two whatzits.. I had the ID at one point, but must've tossed the flips when I imaged them. Value would be helpful, they'll probably wind up on ebay this weekend.

Danish India, Tranquebar - denom? KM? $?

French India - ???
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A gentleman came into the shop and asked for help identifying a coin his father gave him which he got in Europe during WWII. It's about half the size of a half dime and twice the size of a widow's mite. It feels bronze, but I told him the best I could do is ask around about it's identity and origin. My thoughts are that it's Greek and not Roman, but... image
    PMs are welcome if you can identify it for me.

• MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    The first one is a death commemorative for the Swiss Reformation leader, Ullrich Zwingli.

The reference beneath his bust is to his age at his death; technically, "in his 48th year", in the year 1531.
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭
    The coin with the horse...Are those Savoy Knots? If so, it's Italian of some sort as a previous poster opined.
    "Have a nice day!"
    I like the idea of a regular "Whatzit" thread. I have one or two, but no pictures of them at present.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • A gift from Greg (aka - Savoy Special) - George Gordon's enigma.
    Date? Evasion Money? Token? Counterstamp?

<< <i>A gift from Greg (aka - Savoy Special) - George Gordon's enigma.
    Date? Evasion Money? Token? Counterstamp? >>

Date? 1770-something.

Evasion Money? Yes, I believe so.

Token? Well, if evasion money can be considered a token, yeah, I guess.

Counterstamp? Yep, there is definitely a counterstamp there. Don't ask me what it means, though.

• OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    One of my enduring mysteries:

Sorry for the cruddy pics!
  • Omega,
    That is South African AM: 122
    There is a reference to it HERE on page 37.
    I believe that is the same one...
    Jim

edited to add: see page 73 also, it is rarer in bronze
  • OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jim! The description fits. I have been searching for info on that for quite a while. I figured it was something to do with South Africa because of the dual dates. I appreciate your help! -Frank
  • these are great whatzits! yeah, Spoon-- Danish India 1600s-1700s jumps out at me for these too. I also really like that "George Gordon" halfpenny-- that one is REALLY an unusual evasion, one I have not seen before! I will try and post one too that has been driving me mad for four years now.