Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone Use An Olympus Camedia D-360L Digital Camera?

Does anyone here use the Olympus Camedia D-360L Digital Camera to take pictures of their coins?

If so, how do you focus the camera to take a nice crisp picture of the coin? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Chris
I am waiting to restart my mint State Quarters Registry Set.

Comments

• Options
    Chris,

I have the camera, but have had no real success taking pics with it. End up using a cheap flatbed scanner to do the job.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Keith,

How much did the flatbed scanner cost you, are they good quality pictures, and what model is it? I think I'm just going to go ahead and get a scanner. I've spent so much time trying to get that camera to focus. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Chris
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    I used this camera for a while. I think I got probably 25 unusable pictures of coins for every 1 useable. A scanner is much better.

I use the HP 3300C for scanning coins. Take a look at any of the photos in my eBay auctions (link in my sig) to get an idea of what type of pictures it will take. The scanner cost under $100.
  • Options
    I also use an hp3300c and like it . Paid around $90 at Circuit City.
    Gary
  • Options
    I didn't think that scanners for under $100 were very good quality, but after seeing those pictures using the scanner, I think I'm going to head over to Circuit City or Best Buy and pick one up.
    Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,

Chris
  • Options
    Chris,

My scanner (pics in link below) is a Astra ScanMaker X6. Bought it about 2 years ago for $85 or so. Never done me wrong.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    I use the Olympus D-460 Zoom. I think the pictures are great. Here's a Lincoln set I have on Ebay shot with it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1339979467&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1016936593&indexURL=0&rd=1

The pictures are great and can be enlarged big time. The only issue is getting the lighting right.
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
  • Options
    I have a 400-D Zoom Olympus, but don't use it too much for individual coins. I use a HP 4200C scanner which now costs around $100 for most of my ebay stuff. Look me up under seller name fletch2645 and see how the scanner does.
  • Options
    I have the 460R and do not use it for coins. Scanning is just easier and the results are better than my camera attempts

Ritchie
    What will kill a thread faster than a reply from Ritchie?