Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

regional 960 reis counterstamps

How many different types of 960 reis counterstamps are there? are they broken down regionally?

I see Minas Gerais and Cuiaba out there. what are the other possible counterstamp types?

Comments

• Options

Hello, I am a Brazilian coins collector, new in the group, and a bit late to answer this question but... I hope it is still useful:

There are, basically, 4 different types of Brazilian counterstamps applied on 8 Reales pesos for revaluation and circulation as currency:

Minas Gerais 960 Reis Counterstamp: This counterstamp was applied in the former province (actual state) of Minas Gerais in the short period of 1808 - 1809. It is the the first version of the 8 Reales revalued as 960 Reis by the Brazilian governament. There are 22 different known variants of this type, being the most relatively common and a few of them rare or extremely rare. Market value depends on the Host and the variant of the counterstamp. Considering a common variant, a decreasing scale of rarity is Mexico > Santiago > Lima > Potosi. Any different base is of higher rarity.

MATO GROSSO: This counterstamp has origin in the the former province of Mato Grosso (actual State) and was applied in the period of 1818 ~1819. This Type is the 2nd scarcer of three types of the Mato Grosso province counterstamps. Very seldom seen, but a few examples were auctioned by Stacks and Heritage, if I am not wrong.

CUYABA: This is the scarcer type of counterstamps applied by the province of Mato Grosso, applied around 1820. Very seldom seen, extremely rare when presenting the full visible CUYABA writing...

Cuiaba (C under 960): The most common of the three types, but still considerably scarcer than the Minas counterstamp. There are 3 variants of this Cuiaba counterstamp: C between dots ( . C . ), C between one dot ( C . ) and C without dots ( C ).

Examples can be found at Heritage and Stacks archives. If of interest, I can also try to send some pictures here, but will need to find out how...

Fred

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fgmjlle said:
    Hello, I am a Brazilian coins collector, new in the group, and a bit late to answer this question but... I hope it is still useful:

There are, basically, 4 different types of Brazilian counterstamps applied on 8 Reales pesos for revaluation and circulation as currency:

Minas Gerais 960 Reis Counterstamp: This counterstamp was applied in the former province (actual state) of Minas Gerais in the short period of 1808 - 1809. It is the the first version of the 8 Reales revalued as 960 Reis by the Brazilian governament. There are 22 different known variants of this type, being the most relatively common and a few of them rare or extremely rare. Market value depends on the Host and the variant of the counterstamp. Considering a common variant, a decreasing scale of rarity is Mexico > Santiago > Lima > Potosi. Any different base is of higher rarity.

MATO GROSSO: This counterstamp has origin in the the former province of Mato Grosso (actual State) and was applied in the period of 1818 ~1819. This Type is the 2nd scarcer of three types of the Mato Grosso province counterstamps. Very seldom seen, but a few examples were auctioned by Stacks and Heritage, if I am not wrong.

CUYABA: This is the scarcer type of counterstamps applied by the province of Mato Grosso, applied around 1820. Very seldom seen, extremely rare when presenting the full visible CUYABA writing...

Cuiaba (C under 960): The most common of the three types, but still considerably scarcer than the Minas counterstamp. There are 3 variants of this Cuiaba counterstamp: C between dots ( . C . ), C between one dot ( C . ) and C without dots ( C ).

Examples can be found at Heritage and Stacks archives. If of interest, I can also try to send some pictures here, but will need to find out how...

Fred

Welcome, Fred! Great first post!