Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Little Help with some Chinese Coins

Some Chinese coins came into the shop. I bought a few (including a KM#65.2 1898 Chihli Dollar ANACS AU53), and had the customer leave a few that I didn't have time to look up. The pics are below. I'm guessing some of these coins are counterfeit, but I wanted to make sure there weren't any really good ones before I return them to my customer.

I am nowhere near an expert with this type of material, but since there were some better authentic coins, I figured it would be worth checking out.

What do you guys (the experts) think?

A. Looks like a Y#332 1916 Dollar. The weight is 26.5 grams (Krause said it should weigh 26.8 grams), and the coin has that fake look to it.
B. Y#319 1912 Dollar. Weighs 27.3 grams, which is what Krause said it should weigh. Again, has a fake look to it.
C. Y#73.3 1934 Dollar. 27 grams and Krause says 26.7 grams. Not sure on this one.
D. Y#318a.1 1927 Dollar. 26.8 grams and Krause says 27 grams. Coin looks good, but the weight concerns me.
E. Y#14 1908 Dollar. Looks similar to F, but has a character in the center of one side. 33.8 grams while Krause says 26.9. Must be fake or the incorrect coin compared to Krause.
F. Y#14 1908 Dollar. 26.6 grams versus 26.9 from Krause.
G. No idea on this one. Looks like Y#345 1933 Dollar, but the ship is different. Weighs 26.9 grams.
Tim Puro
Puro's Coins and Jewelry
Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.

Comments

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 534 ✭✭✭
    They all look fake to me, with the possible exception of D...
  • Options
    C and D look fine, the rest look NG. Hard to tell from just a pic and weight though. PM me if you need some more info, I handle these a lot and am an interested buyer of genuine China dollars.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I agree, C & D are possibly fine, the rest not so good.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
    What the heck is G?

Thanks!
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I agree, C and D look OK, the rest are suspect.

G is a 1 Yuan, yr.23 (1934) KMY345 .7555ASW, I think it's called a boat dollar.

There's a more expensive version of it with a slightly different reverse -birds in the sky over the boat I believe.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Regarding G, the boat does not look the same as what I see in Krause.

Here is one on eBay:

Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my eBay auctions

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me only D coin looks good. The rest I believe are counterfeit. With coin C - look at the uneven length and spacing of the dentils on the reverse. I believe it's a counterfeit as well.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    G is just a fantasy piece. They cook up some new design every week in China these days.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Should also mention a Chinese couple brought in a dozen new fantasies yesterday.

On one side was the French Indo-China piastre design (looks like a seated Statue of Liberty) and the other side was the Mexican Eagle w/ REPUBLICA MEXICANA from the cap & ray 8 reales series. An interesting concoction for sure... image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    A very quick indicator is the wave pattern and of course denticles.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Actually G is not strictly a fantasy, but a counterfeit pattern coin. When soliciting designs for the junk dollar about 1929, the Republic of China had several different national mints submit their work. G is a counterfeit version of one of these, perhaps the American design Kann 614, but the crudity of the fake makes it hard for me to tell if it's supposed to be that or the Austrian one. The posted pictures of the year 23 dollar illustrate a totally different coin than the one the counterfeiter is trying to imitate here.
  • Options
    Thank you for the help from everyone! As expected, you guys really came through.

The only one I was fairly confident was real is D. Seems like my instinct was correct.

Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my eBay auctions