Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

stain qualifier ?

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
I collect a certain player and recently came across a raw card not in his composition. This particular card is from the Hostess set and it appears most of the cards in this set have baking stains of brown around the edges from the cooked batter. Maybe the twinkie was inserted on top of the cards while the batter was still pretty warm, dunno.

If I get the card, am I running the risk that the grader will interpret the "stains" as those being from gum, or is a stain a stain, and the possibility of the card coming back without a qual rather remote? Would an enclosed note do any good, or are the graders aware of the Hostess cards issue? I really don't care to get the card back with ST.

Comments

• Options
    In my experience a stain is a stain. PSA could care less about notes and if it's not in the comp yet, may be worth doing anyway. Be well.

-Howard
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I think the hostess cards were part of the box and were cut off in 3 card panels. Twinkies and the other products were individually wrapped - I don't know how they could make the stain you're describing.

To answer your question, I've sent in some Kahn's cards and dan-dee cards and not gotten stain qualifiers. They weren't high grade. I don't think they'll forgive stains on hostess cards though.
  • Options
    Please see eBay item 390 070 145 012. This will give you an idea of the staining I'm referring to, also read the seller's comments about the stains.

Comments?
  • Options

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I don't know a lot about the set, but look at the 1977 Hostess completed auctions on eBay. A Joe Morgan, in PSA "8", sold for $4.00 plus shipping. There are many other "8s" that sold for very little as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Db...these are Hostess Suzy Qs, I think they were chocolate covered, thus the staining. I may get the card I'm interested in and send it in for grins and see what happens.
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    most of the hostess from that year have stains for that reason, i got a rose psa 6 no qual with stains
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options

<< <i>Db...these are Hostess Suzy Qs, I think they were chocolate covered, thus the staining. I may get the card I'm interested in and send it in for grins and see what happens. >>

Sorry, as I said I don't know a lot about this issue. Does it say "SUZI-Q" somewhere on the back of the card? If not, how do you differentiate?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Don't know about the back of the card, however a regular Hostess card is much different from a Hostess Suzy Q card. Perhaps the ID is on the back of the card. I do know that the player I collect is distinctly different between the Hostess and the Hostess Suzy Q.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't know about the back of the card, however a regular Hostess card is much different from a Hostess Suzy Q card. Perhaps the ID is on the back of the card. I do know that the player I collect is distinctly different between the Hostess and the Hostess Suzy Q. >>

FYI .. check out this ebay auction that ended (its the Morgan I referred to above) 170451529284
    It looks the same as the ones you mentioned. Is there a difference I am missing? As I said, I know little about the issue.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Hi

Hostess and Hostess Twinkies (of which the Suzy Q's would fall in the hostess twinkies category) differ in : the back of the card for Hostess Twinkies has a small black bar that runs up and down on the back of the card above the writing and below the writing (above the players name and stats and below the players name and stats).

Many Twinkies variation of the cards never went out released in packs with Twinkies/SuzieQ's/Cupcakes - so they would be free of stains (I guess the hostess twinkie card sheets or whatever never left the factory - i do not know) . The ones that went out and were released with the food in packs - will more than likely always have stainage.

several years ago I bought some 1975 hostess twinkie variations that had the stainage - and once in hand - they looked in pretty poor shape compared to what they looked like online in the scan via the auction.

My suggestion would be to wait for one of the variation of the card you are looking for to come up on ebay - that would be one of the twinkie cards that was never packaged with one of the single food product releases (a twinkie package , suzi q's package - etc).

I have been able to get an entire set of 1975 twinkie cards (about 60 of them were in the twinkies variations) and none of them have the twinkie stains because they were all never released with the food.

there is a ebay user out there. I think its "beman" but cant remember. I have bought many of 'raw' cards from him in the past for the hostess twinkies (the 1975 issue). Not sure if he has this card (the one you are looking for) in his inventory but you may want to try and see if he has a raw one that has no stainage. he has graded ones also from different years but they tend to be a wee bit pricey for hostess/twinkies cards for my tastes.

as for your original question, I don't have any graded hostess cards with a ST qualifier (I don't believe any of them have this defect/issue) but I have a few 'raw' hostess twinkies variations from 1975-1977 where I think if I submitted them I would fully expect a ST qualifier on a few of them.

No harm in submitting it though during the 4.50 per card special this month or another submission special - the results could end up being to your liking.

anyways that's it. sorry for rambling on.
    rich

• Options
    I think the crux of my concern is the fact that apparently the Hostess Suzy Q inserts were placed directly under the food product, thus the brown staining. I don't think this happened with the regualr Hostess twinkies because they were yellowish and I guess the product didn't "bleed" into the insert. I suppose I can just hit the BIN, send in the card with a "NO qual" on the submission and see where it goes.