Home Sports Talk
Options

Derek Anderson apologizes for parting shot at Cleveland fans

CLEVELAND -- Derek Anderson has apologized for saying Browns fans "are ruthless and don't deserve a winner."
After angry reaction from fans poured into The Plain Dealer, cleveland.com and other media outlets, Anderson issued the following statement early Wednesday morning through Amy Palcic, the former Browns public relations director.

Anderson's statement:

"I said some things to Jeff Schudel (of The News-Herald) earlier that I regret. Those of you who got to know me personally from covering the Browns over the past five years, know this was out of character for me. I wasn't taken out of context, but I was speaking out of my frustration after my career with the Browns came to a close.

"I had some great times playing in Cleveland, especially during the 2007 season and I met some great people and made many lifelong friends along the way. I'm looking forward to starting a new chapter in my life."

Comments

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I went thru the last few years with Anderson as the Browns QB off and on and can honestly say WHO CARES. Although QB has been a problem area it is not the only problem area they have. I'm a former season ticket holder (bought PSL's and had them since they returned although I recently sold my PSL and tickets) who can say that the Browns boo'ed and yelled at all of the former Browns who stunk up the place......Even Quinn has been blasted a few times and I don't believe he's the answer either at QB, nor is the new guy they just brought in....if Seneca lights up the lakefront I'd be surprised.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image I would have said the same thing if I was him!
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Now, if Lebron James says that in a few months....
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Tim Couch said just about the same thing when he left Cleveland. I'm starting to think the problem lies in Cleveland, not their departing QBs.

In addition, it was just announced that Brady Quinn has been placed on the trading block. lol
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pay me 5 or 10 million dollars a year, and eight Sundays a year I'll stand naked on the football field and you can boo me all ya want for a few hours...give me a helmet and a plastic cup, and you can even throw batteries...

...and afterwards, I'll even thank ya for coming out to the event. image
  • Options
    Yep. You Philly fans know all about booing the home team ;-)
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>Yep. You Philly fans know all about booing the home team ;-) >>

We really only boo to work up a thirst for more beer. LOL
  • Options
    I remember the first time I ever went to a Phillies game at Vets Stadium and Mike Schmidt struck out early in the game (this must be 1986 or 1987?). They booed him all the way to the dugout. I couldn't believe it....
  • Options

<< <i>I remember the first time I ever went to a Phillies game at Vets Stadium and Mike Schmidt struck out early in the game (this must be 1986 or 1987?). They booed him all the way to the dugout. I couldn't believe it.... >>

Stop making stuff up...Phillies fans would never boo the greatest third baseman of all time, who played his entire career with the Phillies.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stop making stuff up...Phillies fans would never boo the greatest third baseman of all time, who played his entire career with the Phillies.

image >>

Impossible... Brooks Robinson never played for the Phillies! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Stop making stuff up...Phillies fans would never boo the greatest third baseman of all time, who played his entire career with the Phillies.

image >>

Impossible... Brooks Robinson never played for the Phillies! image >>

I can see him or Brett being compared to Schmidt, but I better not see any Mets fans trying to put Wayne Garrett up there with the greatest third baseman of all time. image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< Stop making stuff up...Phillies fans would never boo the greatest third baseman of all time, who played his entire career with the Phillies.

>>

Impossible... Brooks Robinson never played for the Phillies! >>

I can see him or Brett being compared to Schmidt, but I better not see any Mets fans trying to put Wayne Garrett up there with the greatest third baseman of all time.

I was going to say HoJo, but Wayne "Carrot" Garrett is right up there, too..image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    He is the greatest third baseman of all-time. And, yep, they booed him.
  • Options

<< <i>He is the greatest third baseman of all-time. And, yep, they booed him. >>

We all know it happened. but I must say it was never me.

okay, maybe once but not more than that.

okay, maybe it was a half dozen times but that was it.

okay, maybe..........
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>
    << Stop making stuff up...Phillies fans would never boo the greatest third baseman of all time, who played his entire career with the Phillies.

>>

Impossible... Brooks Robinson never played for the Phillies! >>

I can see him or Brett being compared to Schmidt, but I better not see any Mets fans trying to put Wayne Garrett up there with the greatest third baseman of all time.

I was going to say HoJo, but Wayne "Carrot" Garrett is right up there, too..image >>

Sorry, but Wayne Garrett was no Joe Foy.

My gawd those Mets teams struggled to find a 3B that could play.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Do the Mets even have a third baseman today? I don't think so..........
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    You can really tell that the members of this board care about the cleveland QB situation - this thread has turned into a Phillies & Mets trashing.
  • Options
    Who would be a better fit this season for the Browns at quarterback? Mike Schmidt or Hubie Brooks?
  • Options

<< <i>You can really tell that the members of this board care about the cleveland QB situation - this thread has turned into a Phillies & Mets trashing. >>

My apologies to Cleveland fans for helping to hijack the thread. Enjoy the Youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJxfY1jOZo4
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

I can see him or Brett being compared to Schmidt, but I better not see any Mets fans trying to put Wayne Garrett up there with the greatest third baseman of all time. image >>

I think a better comparison would be Joe Foy image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

I can see him or Brett being compared to Schmidt, but I better not see any Mets fans trying to put Wayne Garrett up there with the greatest third baseman of all time. image >>

I think a better comparison would be Joe Foy image >>

OOPS, someone beat me to the punch.....how about Ed Charles