Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Minor Types in 20th Century Sets - Collectors Unite, Gold?

Based on DH's email it looks like they will still consider putting the type 3 SLQ, the 1909 VBD, the early no VDB, and shell case back in if enough of us ask for it. I sent DH an email asking for them back. How about you?

What do you think about the gold proposal? I am OK with a no gold, gold included, and gold only set. What do you think? Which will you enter? I will probably do the no gold option, and work on the basic gold type set instead.

Greg S.

Comments

• Options
    Personally, I'll take the consolidation, sell the pieces, and upgrade a SLQ.

On the gold, I really want in included as an option, and will work towards a "complete" set that way. Be years before I could get any of the rarities, but the other pieces are well on their way.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever they decide I do hope there isn't a bunch of "new" sets made up over this. Set, sub-sets, mini sets. Too confusing.
    Less is More.

peacockcoins

• Options
    I just do not want to have to get the High releif Saints and other rare gold. I will never finish a set with those being mandatory.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I definitely don't agree with "watering down" the contents of any set because a number of people won't be able to afford the key coins. I don't see anything wrong with competing in a set that you may never complete... it's good to have something to aspire to.

And this comes from a collector who hasn't been able to afford any coins in the past six months. image

madmike
  • Options
    I replied to DH and BJ saying I wanted 3 SLQs and the Shell case Lincoln but didn't care about the VDB. I also don't miss the extra Ikes (sorry Ike lovers).

The letter said it was a mistake to include those since they are obviously not type coins by any traditional definition. Please educate me. I am not aware of what the traditional definition of a type coin is. Seriously. To me if you have a recessed date Buffalo you should also have the recessed date SLQ. If you keep Steel Cents and make a distinction between the change of metal in '82 why shouldn't the "shell case" be part of the set too?

I can see how the VDB thing is small. The designer initial change for Jeffs are not noted either.

I like gold. I have a Saint I'd like to upgrade and could use an excuse. I don't mind if it is in or out. I just don't want there to be too many ways of slicing and dicing the sets. I would get confused.

If I end up with some change too small to be deemed a type by PCGS I'll keep it anyway. That is because I'm going after the big set, the holy grail, The Complete Type Set. The one with every design change big or small. That means I'll be collecting State Quarters too. Oh, well I will focus on finishing some of these PCGS sets first.
  • Options
    Personally, I'll take the consolidation, sell the pieces, and upgrade a SLQ.

was exactly my thought as well
    image It's Her's
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I asked them to keep the minor types, and include the gold. I too do not want a bunch of additional sets born out of this effort!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right.

peacockcoins