Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How to Make Money as a Professional Coin Dealer

I always wonder(And I will post this under the currency section too)

How do dealers make money at what they do?

Are there places to buy coins wholesale?

Or, do dealers just deal hunt on ebay?

I always wonder how a lot of these dealers at shows do it. How/where they buy, etc.

I know this is valuable information and I'm not asking for any dealers to reveal all their secrets, but just a little something would help.

bnb

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good ones have built up a customer base that buy from them, and sell to and thru them.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    there were dealers before eBay

I think some were born to be dealers (like traders)
    others were born into it - parents

I am not a dealer, but I suspect they frequently sell items for more than they buy

as an exercise, figure the cost to fly to 30 big shows around the country in 1 year
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy low, sell highimage
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or, do dealers just deal hunt on ebay?

i'm sorry for laughing, i couldn't help myself!!image
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been said that all you need is a magnifying glass and 20 years experience.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Well, I guess you could set up at a coin show or two to get your feet wet. Next, travel to a national show with a box of coins in tow. You'll get a real education. Make some contacts. Learn where to sell stuff. Figure out how to get material. Get some business smarts. You don't have to make a killing on every transaction. Homeruns are great, but a bunch of singles & doubles are good. Others will tell you to check your morals at the door. DONT. Your reputation is all you have.

I once had a customer ask about returning a coin he bought six months before, taken out of my holder, submitted to PCGS and got back a BB. I told him no problem, I know I sold him the coin (didn't know of the issue), and asked him how much he paid. He gave me the number. I told him it sounded about right, and asked him to bring it back. He ran out of the show, astonded, wanting to get back before I changed my mind. When he got back an hour later, I reached for my wallet, he said hold on, let me take a look at what you have. He spent another $400 and has subsequently sold me a lot of coins. The point. I was within my rights to tell him to go pound sand. I treated him fairly and got a nice side benefit from doing the right thing.

I'm rambling. Not sure I answered you questions.
    All the best,
    Andrew
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Getting access to the best coins and best prices happens after spending years and countless hours of building contacts with other established dealers. There is no secret source for dealers looking for wholesale priced coins.

Having coins coming in "over the counter" is a concept that is way overrated by collectors. Occurrences of special coins showing up in that manner is few and far in between. 99% of the stuff that walks in is junk unworthy of much attention.

Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Learn to understand collectors and the coins that collectors collect.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Buy cheap, sell high image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    pcpropcpro Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I read this on the Internet >> B Max Mehl invented Ebay to hunt for deals.
    An enthusiastic fan of Kennedy Halves for over 20 years. Always looking for great coins!! Email: wpflack@comcast.net
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having coins coming in "over the counter" is a concept that is way overrated by collectors. Occurrences of special coins showing up in that manner is few and far in between. 99% of the stuff that walks in is junk unworthy of much attention.

One has to make the distinction between a B&M shop vs. a traveling show dealer with no store. The successful B&M shops I know rely nearly 100% on what comes in over the counter (other than buying large bullion deals from wholesalers to fill big orders). And on that stuff that comes in over the counter they typically work on buying at around 50% of retail. While they often pay 65-85% for much material, they get in a lot of worthwhile stuff at 20-35% as well...hence the 50% average. Some of these shops have become successful through decades of hard work. This allows the same coins to eventually come back for repurchase and resale.

I also find that the more successful shops have a way of making sellers feel like they are being treated fairly when they are offering as little as 30-60 cents on the dollar for very desireable material. Fwiw it's usually the lowballers that get the best collections that fall out of the woodwork (estates, grandpa died, etc.). If you try to offer a fair price it seems the owners usually walk, thinking that if it's worth that much money to this dealer, it must be worth a whole lot more.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Having coins coming in "over the counter" is a concept that is way overrated by collectors. Occurrences of special coins showing up in that manner is few and far in between. 99% of the stuff that walks in is junk unworthy of much attention.

One has to make the distinction between a B&M shop vs. a traveling show dealer with no store. The successful B&M shops I know rely nearly 100% on what comes in over the counter (other than buying large bullion deals from wholesalers to fill big orders). And on that stuff that comes in over the counter they typically work on buying at around 50% of retail. While they often pay 65-85% for much material, they get in a lot of worthwhile stuff at 20-35% as well...hence the 50% average. Some of these shops have become successful through decades of hard work. This allows the same coins to eventually come back for repurchase and resale.

I also find that the more successful shops have a way of making sellers feel like they are being treated fairly when they are offering as little as 30-60 cents on the dollar for very desireable material. Fwiw it's usually the lowballers that get the best collections that fall out of the woodwork (estates, grandpa died, etc.). If you try to offer a fair price it seems the owners usually walk, thinking that if it's worth that much money to this dealer, it must be worth a whole lot more.

roadrunner >>

The margins are much better at Keets' shop. image
  • Options
    I see a lot of buy low sell highs here, but where do you do this mostly??? Wholesale places? Ebay? Auctions?? Specifically, where?
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my fav is the answer to your question

How to make a million in the coin biz

start with 2 mil
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that what they are trying to tell you is that there is no one specific place. With experience, hard work, and talent, you must use your superior knowledge and access to buy a coin from one entity and sell it to another, no matter what the venue, for more money. Absent experience, hard work, and talent, this is not a winning proposition.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here comes the old lady with her late husband's collection ...
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭

<< <i>It has been said that all you need is a magnifying glass and 20 years experience.

Wondercoin >>

No, that is to become a grader.
  • Options

<< <i>I think that what they are trying to tell you is that there is no one specific place. With experience, hard work, and talent, you must use your superior knowledge and access to buy a coin from one entity and sell it to another, no matter what the venue, for more money. Absent experience, hard work, and talent, this is not a winning proposition. >>

RYK summed it up the best.

BNB, I continue to see you on this forum looking for a fast way to make easy money. Ive seen your posts on the BST looking for a STEAL of a deal, I saw you just a week or so ago saying you were going to go join the currency forums and leave coins. Coin dealing is not some over night million dollar buisness. You need to get to know people, you need to put in work, you need to set up at shows, spend lots of money buying and learning about what you are buying. Get over it BNB this is not something you are going to jump into over night and be the best at or even good at.
  • Options
    you need to read Scott Travers books

he tells how to make fortunes in the coin business

gives an example of a kid who bought a coin and within an hour sold it for a $25,000 profit
  • Options
    mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
    how does that go..

Steps to get a MILLION $$ COIN INVENTORY.

step 1- Buy $2,000,000 worth of coins.

--------T O M---------

-------------------------
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that what they are trying to tell you is that there is no one specific place. With experience, hard work, and talent, you must use your superior knowledge and access to buy a coin from one entity and sell it to another, no matter what the venue, for more money. Absent experience, hard work, and talent, this is not a winning proposition. >>

Excellent answer.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how does that go..

Steps to get a MILLION $$ COIN INVENTORY.

step 1- Buy $2,000,000 worth of coins. >>

Excellent answer.
  • Options
    How can you make a small fortune in selling coins?

Start with a large fortune image
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNB - Surely, you can come up with a couple dozen ways to make money with coins without having it all spelled out for you. So I wonder, are you just looking for an easy path?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Knowledge is king! READ, READ, and READ some more. This comes before anything else.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

<< <i>BNB - Surely, you can come up with a couple dozen ways to make money with coins without having it all spelled out for you. So I wonder, are you just looking for an easy path? >>

No, just ideas to answer my internal questions.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Maybe try buying undergraded raw, getting slabbed, then selling with a CAC sticker as a HOT HOT coin.
  • Options
    I'll also chime in again and say that RYK's response sums it up the best. Numismatics isn't a get-rich-quick scheme, it takes years of building relationships and repores with colleagues and some natural talent in business acumen and marketing. If it were that easy then there would be many more coin dealers than there currently are.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>Here comes the old lady with her late husband's collection ... >>

As I stated before, non-dealers always believe that all the stars will align as soon as you open a B/M store and buy from the public. When those old ladies bring in the inherited collection to sell, chances are that collection will contain nothing more than a few worn silver coins and coins that are only worth a notch over face value. Very rarely will anything of consequence show up unannounced.
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭
    This is not gonna be a popular answer but, you find someone to take advantage of at both ends of the transaction and walla your a successful coin dealer. This could just be the booze talking. Or maybe its the cold medicine. I gotta go to bed now.

• Options
    the field is so large, you need to specialize in something specific
    so you are one of the best in that area in the world

and can walk into almost any coin shop, show, auction, pawn shop, internet auction

and cherrypick (buy something for less than you can sell it within a week) from their inventory of your specialty
    and also know when the asking price is too high

find what you like, your niche, and how to buy/sell in enough volume to cover your lifestyle

it takes years of experience and is much easier in a bear market than a bull market

I remember about 8 years ago meeting a member who posted in this thread at a small coin auction in Minnesota - where he bought over 10% of the lots and spent over $100K
    no show, not a coin auction house, publicized but not as much as the big guys, and mostly raw stuff

I was truly impressed and am still learning how to turn that much volume - and learning what lots/areas
    still have room for profit -

you know risk/reward
    I think this is a 62 - worth $100 in 60 $200 in 62 $300 in 63 $400 in 64
    how much do I bid?

if I bid $150 and it is actually a 58, I lost
    if I pass and sells for $240 - I still might have lost, but feel better passing

same idea can apply to any of the above sources

and problem coins - they are crap and always sell at a discount - and unless a key date, a deep discount
    you need to be able how to determine if they problems

if you emerse yourself totally in this, you maybe able to learn enough in the time it takes to get a college degree

edited to add - I remember HRH once stating that it takes about $1 million in sales, before most dealers get a handle on making money dealing coins
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    When I first joined this forum back in '04, there was an interesting thread where dealers shared their experiences trying to by valuable coins that just walked into their store...

The collective sentiment, was that whenever they tried to make a fair offer on a pricy coin, the sellers usually got scared and backed out.

The thread explored I think what was a hypothetical, where an old lady came in with 20 common date XF Morgans, but with one XF '95 thrown in the lot. Do you offer her a fair price for the lot that reflects the value of the '95? Do you just try to buy the '95?
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see a lot of buy low sell highs here, but where do you do this mostly??? Wholesale places? Ebay? Auctions?? Specifically, where? >>

I have no idea, I always seem to buy high and sell low.image
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting... Thanks for the extra advice. image
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    When I go to shows, it looks like alot of dealers make a living on ratty generic Morgan dollars ! ! ! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It has been said that all you need is a magnifying glass and 20 years experience.

Wondercoin >>

No, that is to become a grader. >>

I've heard that expression used to desctibe becoming an expert authenticator.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fwiw it's usually the lowballers that get the best collections that fall out of the woodwork (estates, grandpa died, etc.). If you try to offer a fair price it seems the owners usually walk, thinking that if it's worth that much money to this dealer, it must be worth a whole lot more. >>

So, the more you offer, the less likely they are to sell? I don't buy it. Sounds like dealer rationalization for their low ball offers to unknowledgeable sellers.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Fwiw it's usually the lowballers that get the best collections that fall out of the woodwork (estates, grandpa died, etc.). If you try to offer a fair price it seems the owners usually walk, thinking that if it's worth that much money to this dealer, it must be worth a whole lot more. >>

So, the more you offer, the less likely they are to sell? I don't buy it. Sounds like dealer rationalization for their low ball offers to unknowledgeable sellers. >>

From what others have said here in the past, that seems to be a generally true statement.

Firstly, when I as a stranger walk into your store you have no idea if I know what I have or not and am just testing your integrity. Secondly, if you tell me that coin X could be worth $10K then I know it is worth more than that since you will no doubt mark it up. If you would buy it for your personal collection, you might show me some price guides that say you are paying top dollar. If I am truly a novice you will no doubt have a better idea of where to sell the coin than I would.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the same way to make it in any business. Start working, work some more, and then keep working at it. Develop a customer base through honesty and hard work. Diligence, integrity, and a significant investment - in time and labor.

It's not about screwing little old ladies out of their husband's estate holdings. Just FYI.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

So, the more you offer, the less likely they are to sell? I don't buy it. Sounds like dealer rationalization for their low ball offers to unknowledgeable sellers. >>

Just curious, would you be willing to pay $10K CASH for a coin and mum's the word?
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The margins are much better at Keets' shop.

mea culpa...................will i ever hear the end of this??image
  • Options

Here are some ways that I have made money in coins

1. Selling coins for a commission
    2. Cherry Picking at shows, stores, and online
    3. Buying quantity deals (be careful with this one it can be a lot of work)

Knowing the market and knowing where to buy it and sell it are very important.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe anyone actually replied to this question(s)

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a full time B&M shop owner, I'm still waiting to make money.

I do make money on some deals, but all the junk that you have to buy sits in inventory just eating up money(profit), that no one wants.

On the up side I have been told it takes 5 or more years to get established. 2 years down and only 3 more to go.

And I haven't lost money either to this point.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    You've certainly got some 'interesting' theories (and videos)...

I'm also relatively surprised anyone answered seriously all things considered..
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>my fav is the answer to your question

How to make a million in the coin biz

start with 2 mil >>

The saying used in the markets is:

How do you make a small fortune in the stock market?
    Start with a large one.

And, yes, people are trying to tell you that there is no easy way. The stumble upon a fortune for cheap stories people tell are few and far between for a reason.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Buy low, sell highimage >>

Modification:

Buy China, sell Ebay image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How to Make Money as a Professional Coin Dealer... Keep Your Day Job! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the OPs questions that I didn't see answered... Are there still wholesalers that supply volumes of coins that can be marked up? Many years ago, a local dealer would show me ads from dealers offering things like roll sets of low-grade Lincolns (yes, including 09-S VDBs and 14-Ds)...does anyone still do that?
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Coin dealers actually make money? All the ones at the shows I go to are selling everything below what they paid for it!!! image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file