Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone with experience writing a baseball card article?

I was thinking about writing an article to submit to SMR. Has anyone done that or do they soley rely on hier own staff? I really like their articles on the vintage sets, but I would like to write on on a modern set (2001 or 2002). After I wrote it, would they take scans of my cards or might they want me to send in my cards so that they could pick and choose and scan with thier own equipment?

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not positive, but I think they would allow you to submit an article for print. Heck, it'd be one less article they'd have to write image You'd probably get instructions on what settings to scan your cards at so they are good to publish. Good luck.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    Farmkidd -- I contributed to an article (re Topps coins) in the March 2010 issue -- probably spoke with the writer for an hour+ and provided about 20 scans.

I still have his contact info -- he is a freelance write in Maryland -- I'm sure he'd be happy to explain the process.

Please PM if you would like his contact information.

Scott
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    The writer Scott is referring to is Doug Kosztoski, he's "vintage collector" on this board. I've worked with him on a bunch of articles and unlike other (non hobby) journalists he always gets the quotes right, and in context.
    Keven Glew is another writer that does some writing for SMR and he's also been really good to work with.
    I'm pretty sure SMR relies on article submissions from freelancers, but with any publication your best bet is to send a query letter to the editor, in this case Joe Orlando. He'll be able to tell you if they have any interest in the subject to begin with, or if they've run a similar article before.
    As far as images I've always photographed or scanned them myself and ftp'd them to the author or PSA. The shots of the '64 and '71 wax boxes in the coin article are mine, and the file requirements aren't huge- they're not running anything across a 2 page spread.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's