Home U.S. Coin Forum

bought two coins from online auction house

RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
ok i did my first online auction non ebay over the weekend i bought these two coins and you can see what i paid for each one, now my question do you think they will grade out to what they were listed as? pcgs and do you think i paid way too much lol have no camera so here is the links to both coins thks.............https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=2593&aid=26123&lid=7251864#topoflot and https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=2593&aid=26123&lid=7252200#topoflot
https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

Comments

• yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    Buying raw coins from those pics are a crap shoot, stick with slabbed coins online.image
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I can't tell too much from the pics. The 90-S looks like it might have been cleaned and I'm not sure it's unc. Let us know how they look when you receive them.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both look cleaned/whizzed or otherwise have altered surfaces with AU/Unc details.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    If the auction house has a name like

Hamilton's Antique and Estate Auctions, Inc

and the auction description says something like ALL from a private estate auction

the coins are yours - when the auction gavel hit the block the lot was yours

what do you expect from them? they settled with the consigner long ago

they may or probably do not know much about coins
    auctions are BUYERS BEWARE, and if you can not see item in person, you are taking all the risk
    even if the 2x2 has something scribbled on it

forget about it and move on - possibly learn from your mistake
    and if you see a coin like the following - think something is not quite right (and pass or bid accordingly)

• RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what do you expect from them? they settled with the consigner long ago
    First i do not expect anything from them, if you read my other thread it was more about doing the right thing and not sending these coins back so that another newbie ends up where i did. I accept the fact i messed up and trust me i have learned a lesson, but i also thought this would be a good lesson for other newbies to see and also to do the right thing by not reselling them...................... isn't this site about gaining knowledge? and sharing our misfortunes? So that others may learn................... I Did image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buying raw coins from those pics are a crap shoot, stick with slabbed coins online.image >>

I'll second that motion image
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I understand now

see the color changes just inside the stars - probably a cleaned AU

nothing wrong with selling this on eBay, if you state what it is and disclose problems

but you will take a lossimage

or keep as a learning lesson - better to learn on smaller valued coins
    than getting stuck with hundreds or thousands in loss
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    The link goes to the 90-S which OBVIOUSLY isn't a Mint State coin, you can tell because the only remaining mint luster & original surfaces, if you can call it that, is in the protected areas. The rest of the coin shows dull, worn surfaces. Nothing blantly shows cleaned, although the worn surfaces have a smooth shiny look as if it's been polished, which is a red flag.
    But so what? You didn't do what any other collector here hasn't done. We've all unknowingly bought cleaned coins, thru mail order, over the net, and in even real life after seeing them in hand. We wasn't all born smart! image
    Stay away from 3rd world auction sites & "Estate Auctions!!"
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe either will grade. PCGS will genuine them for improper cleaning.

Sorry. The good news is you aren't into it very deep. Try to buy slabbed if you have to buy blind, unless you have a very good relationship with a trusted dealer.
    Lance.

edited bad links
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    << I don't believe either will grade. PCGS will genuine them for improper cleaning. >>
    This is an old thread. PCGS did in fact bag them.

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are better ways to learn how to grade and get reasonable value for your dollar than buying raw coins in the blind. If you have to ask what kind of deal you got, you should already know the answer.

Take a crash course in grading coins before you purchase much more. One can certainly get a feel for it just by going through the Heritage Auction archives. Not perfect, but it's free. Go to shows, auctions, and the local B&M and check all the slabs you can. If you keep paying 3X what a coin is worth you'll run out of money pretty quick.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file