Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wexler & Flynn upcoming book "The Authoritative Reference on Washington Quarters 1932 - 199

I received this email from John Wexler and I thought I'd post it here in case anyone has these varieties that he needs.

Hello Everyone,

We are currently working on a new book with Kevin Flynn. The book is titled The Authoritative Reference on Washington Quarters 1932 - 1998. Like The Authoritative Reference on Lincoln Cents - Second Edition, this book will contain extensive chapters on the key doubled dies, RPMs, and OMMs.

We have most of the doubled dies that we need for the reference, but there are two that we need to see so that we can shoot photos. These would include the proof Washington quarter doubled die listed as 1990-S 25¢ Pr WDDO-001 (also listed as FS-25-1990S-101 in The Cherrypickers' Guide and as 1-O-V in the CONECA Doubled Die Files), and a 1995-S proof Washington quarter listed as FS-25-1995S-101 in The Cherrypickers' Guide.

If you have either one of these doubled die varieties and would be willing to send it so that we can shoot photos, please contact me at jwex@comcast.net before sending the coin(s) so that we don't have more than one person sending the varieties in for photography purposes. No attribution fees will be charged. Return postage would be helpful but not necessary. If we use your coin for photos in the doubled die chapter, you will be listed on the "Acknowledgements" page of the book.

Our greatest need at this time is for specimens of Washington quarter RPMs and OMMs. If you have any that you would be willing to submit for us to photograph, again please contact me at jwex@comast.net to let me know what you have and are willing to send. Please list what you have and how they are identified (i.e. 1941-D 25¢ RPM #1 or 1941-D 25¢ WRPM-001, etc.). Do not send any coins before we get back to you with exactly what you need to send so that there is no duplication in coins being sent.

Again there will be no attribution fees for any coins sent for this purpose. Return postage would be helpful, but not necessary. If we use your coin for photos in the RPM or OMM chapter, you will be listed on the "Acknowledgements" page of the book.

Coins submitted for this purpose will receive top priority and will not have to wait in a processing line as do normal attribution coins.

We are hoping to complete the manuscript by June, so the sooner we can get the needed coins photographed, the better off we will be.

Thank you in advance for any help that you may be able to provide.

John

Comments

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Good to hear about this! Time for a refresh and update of info.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Lincoln Cent book and it is one my best references for varieties. I look forward to the Washington quarter book being published.

Thanks for letting us know this is in the pipeline.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have the Lincoln Cent book and it is one my best references for varieties. I look forward to the Washington quarter book being published.

Thanks for letting us know this is in the pipeline. >>

.....i have the lincoln book too! it's superb! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Interesting that the Wash Quarter series ran only one year short of his actual life. Include the 1999 commem and it's exactly parallel.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I will add this one to my library. Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Whats the Status on this book? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    <<Whats the Status on this book?>>
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    I guess no one knows?
  • Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    Most likely early next year (2016)
    need to research the history for it.

Need to finish up
    Treasuring Hunting the Top 20th and 21st Century Die Varieties
    The Authoritative Reference on Liberty Seated Quarters

and maybe one or two other books.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...I'm guessin' Kevin would know! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>I forgot about it >>

so did I, as it is a background task for now, also, we need to add the state quarter die varieties also.

Already found Washington quarter info from the archives on the early images during the selection process.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I forgot about it >>

so did I, as it is a background task for now, also, we need to add the state quarter die varieties also.

Already found Washington quarter info from the archives on the early images during the selection process.

>>

I like the book and have recommended it many times to Washington quarter collectors. Any
    chance of getting more of the clad varieties listed? I'm especially interested in the various re-
    verse varieties from the early years.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i> like the book and have recommended it many times to Washington quarter collectors. Any chance of getting more of the clad varieties listed? I'm especially interested in the various re-
    verse varieties from the early years. >>

Thanks and sure, no reason we would not include more of the clad die varieties in the book.
    Can you write Wexler with a suggested list of Washington varieties, I know John is busy now, but we should be able to get to them.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> like the book and have recommended it many times to Washington quarter collectors. Any chance of getting more of the clad varieties listed? I'm especially interested in the various re-

Thanks and sure, no reason we would not include more of the clad die varieties in the book.
    Can you write Wexler with a suggested list of Washington varieties, I know John is busy now, but we should be able to get to them.
    >>

I'll have some time later to develop a list but I can't help much if at all with pictures and the like.

There are several that are "unreported" so will omit them.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>I'll have some time later to develop a list but I can't help much if at all with pictures and the like.
    There are several that are "unreported" so will omit them. >>

John or I can photograph, John is much better at proofs.
    Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way overdue. I look forward to it.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    does this fall under unreported and omitted or would you guys be interested in it?
    i could send you guys my example...my imaging here is suitable
    or has this been discovered and reported?

some 1967 sms washington quaters do have a die gouge on "E" of quarter on the reverse
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>

Kevin >>

Sorry for the delay.

Here're the most comprehensive listings I know of.

The most important at this time are probably the "type h" reverses, '65 silver reverse, and the circulation DD's (including the '76-D).
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I spoke to John about this, not sure if we would include a dramatic spike variety for the Washington quarters,
    we need to see if there is high collector interest and a premium.
    There are so many nice doubled dies, rpms, and such as compared to the Peace Dollars, where as there are
    relatively not that many doubled dies, and the majority that exist are not that dramatic, in this series, other types of varieties, such as those with die cracks and such have picked up interest and value.

Thanks for the list of clad quarter varieties. I believe have included many of the doubled dies listed already, but need to go through the rest of them to figure out what to include.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    thanks kevin
    i just thought it was the same as the 1956 proof rev die gouge

as that's what it is more or less...a die gouge
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    D'oh.

The '76-D DDO is in the current (1999) edition.

ttt
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file