Home U.S. Coin Forum

HK-157 Columbian Exposition in white metal...

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is in coin orientation not medal orientation. Is this unusual? I've seen dozens of
this HK-157 and all have been medal orientation. This is the only coin orientation I've seen.
Anyone else have or seen one?
bob
imageimage
imageimage
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whaaaa, did everyone give up on So-called dollars so quickly??

Anyone out there??

Hellllloooooooooooo?

bob
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, some of us never really got started-

terrific example

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    PM Tmot99 and ask him. He'll know better than anyone else here imho
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I dont understand what you are asking. Are you refering to the size of the thing?
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I dont understand what you are asking. Are you refering to the size of the thing? >>

Reverse Orientations

With modern coins there are two types of the orientation of the reverse:

* 'Coin' orientation, where the reverse is upside down when you turn the coin sideways.
    * 'Medal' orientation, where the reverse is upright when you turn the coin sideways.

Modern US 'silver' coins use the 'coin' orientation, as do most UK copper coins prior to 1825 (1826 for farthings) and silver or gold up until 1887.

Modern UK coins after the above dates use 'medal' orientation, as do many earlier proofs.

source
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whaaaa, did everyone give up on So-called dollars so quickly??

Anyone out there??

Hellllloooooooooooo?

bob >>

imageimageimage

I always love a good SCDimage
    Yours is very nice !!

Oh.................btw the orientation should be

• jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Is see what he's talking about now. Thanks Barndog.

Sorry, no answer to the original question.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What in the heck is white metal anyways?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What in the heck is white metal anyways? >>

Inexpensive pot metal is another name. Not silver, not aluminum (I think) and certainly not platinum!
    bob
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    White Metal and Tin are often synonymous when speaking of SC$'s. the aforementioned "Pot Metal" seems likely with some, particularly the 20th Century issues. i have always assumed White Metal to be tin, though, and the use of that alloy seemed to stop around 1920 or so. i think that by that time aluminum was in wide use and became a better alternative.

BTW, Stephanie, i've never understood why NGC didn't like that example.

<< <i>White Metal and Tin are often synonymous when speaking of SC$'s. the aforementioned "Pot Metal" seems likely with some, particularly the 20th Century issues. i have always assumed White Metal to be tin, though, and the use of that alloy seemed to stop around 1920 or so. i think that by that time aluminum was in wide use and became a better alternative.

BTW, Stephanie, i've never understood why NGC didn't like that example. >>

Thank you for the input...I wonder if it would get rusty? I suppose it would if not properly stored and got damp...I don't think I would want white metal in my collection....Just doesnt seem like a desirable alloy...
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    White Metal doesn't rust, iron and iron alloys rust. Tin doesn't rust, quite the opposite it is used to inhibit rust since it is very oxidation resistant. Pewter is referenced a few times in the book So-Called Dollars as a planchet type; Pewter is about 90% Tin alloyed with Copper and doesn't rust, but it suffers a fate known as tin-pest which is black spot oxidation and a very nasty thing indeed.

medals made of Tin/Pewter/White Metal shouldn't tone but since they are alloys and contain other metals they will sometimes tone. they might also tone if they get dipped and the dip isn't completely rinsed of, much like silver.

<< <i>White Metal doesn't rust, iron and iron alloys rust. Tin doesn't rust, quite the opposite it is used to inhibit rust since it is very oxidation resistant. Pewter is referenced a few times in the book So-Called Dollars as a planchet type; Pewter is about 90% Tin alloyed with Copper and doesn't rust, but it suffers a fate known as tin-pest which is black spot oxidation and a very nasty thing indeed.

medals made of Tin/Pewter/White Metal shouldn't tone but since they are alloys and contain other metals they will sometimes tone. they might also tone if they get dipped and the dip isn't completely rinsed of, much like silver. >>

I learn sommething new here everyday...Thanks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file