Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL Overtime Rules Change? Solutions?

OK, so obviously this stems from the Saints-Vikings game in which the Saints got first possession and had a nice kickoff return and moved about 30 yards and kicked a game winner. So. the discussion is about giving each team one possession unless one team scores a touchdown. A change is ok, but if we are going to change it, how about getting it right? I have my own solution.

What is the most exciting part of a good football game? In my opinion, it is the last two minutes of the game when Team A needs to score and Team B needs to stop them. So how about this solution? Like college, each team gets a possession until someone wins. If Team A goes first, then Team B goes first the next time if it needs to go more than once. No more ties. You get the ball on your OWN 40 yard line with 1 timeout. This would mean that you would have to move the ball 30 yards or so to get a field goal, unlike college where you can pretty much line up and kick. In the event of a turnover, the team that forced the turnover would have the option of their own 40, or the place where the turnover play ended. So, for example, if Eli Manning is passing and he gets sacked by James Harrison and then Harrison recovers a fumble at the Giants 38, the Steelers would get the next possession at that spot (assuming they needed the possession). If Manning were picked off by Ike Taylor at the 5 yard line, the Steelers would take over at their own 40. The same thing would happen with a punt or a failed 4th down attempt. If you return the punt to beyond the 40 (or block a punt), you get it at that spot. If you don't, then you get it at the 40. This would encourage punt returns and few fair catches. Also, if the game goes to a second overtime (or beyond), the scenarios above would carry into the next round. So, if the Steelers went first and didn't score, they would get the ball to start the second try at the Giants' 38 (in the fumble scenario) and then the Giants would be the second team with the ball.

By starting at the 40, it gives a team with a great defense a legitimate chance to stop the other team. Because it puts you in the two minute offense right away, it would also give teams with great quarterbacks a better opportunity to succeed. The NFL likes the great quarterbacks to win, so the NFL wins in this scenario.

That's my idea. Anyone got a better one? Like mine? Hate it? Prefer the NFL's idea?
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    Interesting. Take away punts entirely in OT and you may be on to something. If the team with the ball can't advance it, the 'no punt' rule would greatly reward the defense.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer the 'first team to score 6 points' wins.

Flip who gets the first ball first, and play regular football after that.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    How about just a field goal shoot out? Start from the 30, and each time you make one you move back 10 yards.
    First team to miss loses.
    Or maybe just do a coin toss. Winner takes the game.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I prefer the 'first team to score 6 points' wins.

Flip who gets the first ball first, and play regular football after that.

Dave >>

I'd prefer the 'race to 7', as opposed to six, but I do agree that either of these ideas would work great.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with the solution that is on the table right now, that will likely get implemented for the playoffs next year:

If the team winning the toss scores a TD, the game is over. If they kick a FG, the other team gets a possession, and if they kick a FG, it then becomes sudden death. If they score a TD, it's over. That way each team has touched the ball.

I do like how everyone focuses on the NO/Minn game, but conveniently ignores the GB/AZ game, where the defense scored the winning points. The only reason I'm in favor of changing the OT rules is because the illegal contact and PI rules so favor the offense, that it's unfair not to give each team the ball once.
  • Options
    College has it right with overtime. Both teams get possesion of the ball.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's my proposal (this still keeps the traditional sudden-death format):

* Team that wins coin toss gets ball on 50 yard line
    * Only three downs, not four; that's because:
    * NO KICKING OR PUNTING OF ANY KIND
    * First to score a TOUCHDOWN wins.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with scoring seven points in OT is that could take a long time.

During the regular season and early post season, too many games would be running into each other. Bad for TV (remember, it's all about the $$$)

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    How about having each teams offenses and defenses on the field at the same time. Each teams offense starts at the 40 yard line with the other team's defense defending. First team's offense to score wins the game! No interceptions or fumbles can be advanced so as to not interfere with the possession on the other side of the field. If change of possession or loss of downs occurs on both sides, go to a second overtime.

The fans would get more than their money's worth in OT!!
  • Options
    Why is this so hard to fix? Just play another 15 minute quarter. Problem solved. Still tied after 5, play another one. Problem solved. And I don't care if the players are "tired", that's why they make millions of dollars.

No need to make any rule changes. This is an easy fix.
  • Options

<< <i>Why is this so hard to fix? Just play another 15 minute quarter. Problem solved. Still tied after 5, play another one. Problem solved. And I don't care if the players are "tired", that's why they make millions of dollars.

No need to make any rule changes. This is an easy fix. >>