Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT-Meet this forum member who is serving in Afghanistan

One of our World Coin forum members Ilafoe (of whom we are very proud) image

He says: "Forget that I'm not wearing all my protective gear!
I'm standing at the site of two VBIEDs and three sucide bombers the past few weeks.
You can tell I'm 47 by the whites in my errrrr... hair!" :-D

If you wish to send thanks for service, he may be reached at llafoe@msn.com

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who has served in the military (for another country), I can definitely relate. Stay safe and alert, and this too will pass.

BTW - love the signage in the back - "Football The Universal Language" - wouldnt it be simple if all were watching/playing football?

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    My brother just got back 2 months ago from his 4th tour there.

Lafoe, are there any cool coins there?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    From the Navy insignia, there's probably a good chance he's a Corpsman serving with Marines.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

If it is, then Semper Fi Ilafoe!
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I appreciate his service to the country. Take care!
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Thank you, llafoe, for your service!!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

<< <i>From the Navy insignia, there's probably a good chance he's a Corpsman serving with Marines. >>

The world has changed since the Korean "police action", but I don't think corpsmen carry automatic weapons, even now.
    Roy

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From the Navy insignia, there's probably a good chance he's a Corpsman serving with Marines.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

If it is, then Semper Fi Ilafoe! >>

He's a chief petty officer, which would be a fairly high grade for a corpsman attached to a Marine unit. From the terrain and vegetation, it looks like he's somewhere near Kandahar -- which would match the report about VBIEDs and suicide bombers. That's a tough place to be right now and I wish him well.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alot of IAs out there (individual augemtees) with the other services. My eyes are blurry but I see an anchor image

Stay safe and put your dang helmet on....

Roy, I agree , I doubt he is a corpsman imageimage

CSC

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    From an ex serviceman (5 1/2 years Royal Navy, submariner) just wanted to say stay safe and nice to put a face to the name.
  • Options
    Just found out he works for a Marine Master Gunnery Sergeant, along with some specifics of his mission, (which I wouldn't be comfortable repeating in a public forum), but that works for this former Marine. Regardless of service or mission, it's on my behalf, and I am grateful for his service, and for that of all others as well. I remember all too well how military personnel were treated by civilians in the late seventies, having experienced my own share of abuse, so I will do whatever I can to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Semper Fidelis and God be with you, Ilafoe.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your service, and be on the lookout for that idiot with a $25M price on his head. You could really buy a heck of a lot of coins with that fundage.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a citizenship level, thanks for your service.

On a personal level, thanks for the... other thing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for serving our great nation. Shoot to kill.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    ex-Navy Seabee here. Thanks for keeping up the tradition and come home safe.
    Jim