Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you only could collect coins from one year what year would it be?

tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
I have a thing for coins (especially CBH) dated 1814. 1853 would also be a good choice. Lots of varieties. 1853 dimes with arrows are fun - try to collect all the different placement of the arrows.

Comments

• Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Hmmm interesting question. I'll say 1873. With all the varieties and die marriages available for seated coinage that year, it would be a challenging date set and include many coins.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one just for you tydye....In honor of Colonol Jackson.

imageimage
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Nice dime. Reminds me why I like 1814 so much. Die cracks and clashes galore that year.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would have to be a Civil War date for me. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    1883 has the most types.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rest of the story:

The cent doesn't matter & there were no silver dollars.
    This was the first year of the Walking Liberty Half and the Standing Liberty Quarter.
    Also for a bonus, I'd get a Barber dime and quarter. To top it off came a 1916 Doubled die Buffalo nickel and the 1916 D Mercury dime.

I'd take variety and this year offered enough spice to flavor my numismatic dish.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1652 of course. image

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1853 my start is here 1853 Mint set. although I really have a affinity for 1944.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    My daughter, born in 1999, is collecting only mint and proof coins from 1999. My son, born in 2000, is only collecting mint and proof coins from 2000. Hopefully, once they become teenagers or adults, they'll collect coins from other years too. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be tough but I'd go with 1969. There are an awful lot of great US and world coins of this date.

My second choice would probably be 1957. It's the year I started collecting and paying attention to world
    events. It's the year of Sputnik and beginning of the space age. I'm not too crazy about 1957 US coins
    but there are lots of great world coins from '57.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I recently asked the forum about the coins of 1921, which seemed to me to offer a great date/mint set of 5 cent thru the Dollar, and which everyone agreed was a challenging year.
    Otherwise 1897 is great for my Barbers, so I'll go with that.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1921.........no doubt.

Low mintages, key coins and nicely engraved (for one year) coins.

Pete
    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    1907 has lots of gold to choose from...

...but if money were no object, 1875!
  • Options
    500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭
    I would say either 1877 or 1793
    Finem Respice
  • Options
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    1888 --- "The Year of the Three Emperors" (Dreikaiserjahr)

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean that 1827 actually WASN'T the only year they made those coins?
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either 1958 my birth year, I already have 2 British VIP Proof 1/2d coins from that year, that is 2 out of the about 15 known, or 1854 my great grandfather's birth year. I've always wanted a nice 1854 half cent but couldn't find one in the right condition at the right price.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you only could collect coins from one year what year would it be?

definitely 1816.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either 1861 or 1865, probably the former.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1838, I like the look of the Seated Liberty coins without stars.
  • Options

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    Rob790Rob790 Posts: 547
    1870 - would love to get a complete set from the San Francisco mint image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably 1797

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Interesting question that I have thought about over the years. Assuming money is no object, I'd make the following observations:

1796 - The only year before 1849 that the mint struck all denominations. A lot of classic coins in this set. You also need to be a millionaire to collect them.

1807 - Love this date for some reason, and you get transitional types as well.

1857 - Great year and you could go for every date/mintmark, although some are expensive, none are show stoppers.

1866-1873 - These are the 16 type coin years (17 for 1873 counting proofs), no other years of coinage have so many different types. Picking a date from this era, I guess I'd have to go with 1872. No proof only issues that year and the S and CC mints are not show stoppers if you want a complete date/mintmark set. 1869 would be good also with no CC coins involved. Interesting thing about 1869, a new series of paper money was issued that year, as well as a new series of stamps. You could do a collecting trifecta.

1890 - first year of the standard 10 denomination set. I like this set because only in 1890-1891 do you get the 10 denomination set with a liberty nickel and Morgan dollar along side the last of the seated coinage.

1921 - First year all classic designs were minted, although the last of the Morgans throws off the symmetry. You also get the nearly impossible $20.

For modern, 1974 - you get the standard 6 denomination set, plus a new series of federal reserve notes were issued. You could get everything from 1c to $100. This is possible for 1977 as well.
  • Options
    RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭
    I really like the year 1839.So many half dollars !
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Without a doubt 1796. All denominations struck this year, coins can be found in much higher grades than other similar years, and it's exactly 2 decades after Independence
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>If you only could collect coins from one year what year would it be?

definitely 1816. >>

Ah, you espouse the 'Box of One' concept. I tried that, but staring at a single large cent got old. The year for me is 1857, a bittersweet year for early copper afficionados.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my reasoning is that i figure i could become a Certified Expert with only one coin type to look at and without a doubt i might finally be able to complete a Set!!image
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    1837 could take you a long way...
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

Numerous rare moderns in silver, gold and platinum.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you only could collect coins from one year what year would it be?

definitely 1816. >>

Ah, you espouse the 'Box of One' concept. I tried that, but staring at a single large cent got old. The year for me is 1857, a bittersweet year for early copper afficionados. >>

Could be a box of 9.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    That's tough, I like denominations from 1835, 1836, 1837, 1838 and 1839 but it would be hard to pick just one date. image
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    1796 - if someone else was paying for the coins.
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    1853, my b.y.-100, but I've already got a good start on that.

Next choice would have to be 1861, 'cause I'm big on Civil War stuff and I'm the furthest along with it, gold included.

Heck, anything Civil War dated. I'm so tempted to set a few grand aside for these type of purchases. What is going to be the market for this stuff in 2011, the 150th anniversary of the beginning of the Civil War? I wonder what the TV coin show hype will be like?! Sheesh!
  • Options
    1853 is a good year. Some show stoppers exist though.
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    I started to go with 1936 because I knew that was the big year for commems, but when I got to thinking about the issues, I realized they certainly weren't my favorites. If I went with 1899 I could at least go with a Lafayette, but then I thought "Barbers", they are okay but how many do I want, and only one commem. Hmm 1920? Maine and a Pilgrim, and then SLQ's and Walkers, and gold Indians, but no, isn't the $10 Indian a rare one? 1928, an oregon and a Hawaii, SLQ's, Walkers, gold indians, wait, they didn't do Indians that year, and Lincoln cents. Hmmm, after much thought I decided to go with 1893, I could have an Isabella and a Columbian for commems, I could have a gold Liberty set, I like Liberty nickels, of course I will have to learn to appreciate Barber pieces more, but hey, I can also collect IH's.image
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    For me certainly it would 1866

My 1866 mint set
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    1794, of course!
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options

<< <i>For me certainly it would 1866

My 1866 mint set >>

Awesome set!
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720

Ray
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    1804 - the best of the best
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1792 (patterns) - but they come up so infrequently, it would be frustrating! 1879 patterns as a backup. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1806, with half dollars, half eagles, half cents, and quarters a person could have a collection of well over 100 coins with die marriages and die states.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    1845. There is a great assortment of coins from all over the world, plus I like the history for this year.
  • Options
    Oops wrong thread. No Brainer. 1795

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file