Home Precious Metals
Options

I think the 10 kilo silver tiger

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
would be a fun "coin" and a great conversation piece.

But at ~38% above melt? Seriously?

Silver was in the $6 per ounce range not too long ago. And that's how much of a premium per ounce they're charging for them. Or to put it another way, you're kissing goodbye about 140 ounces of silver for the premium.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But at ~38% above melt? Seriously?

It seriously depends on the popularity of the issue. The US Mint charges 38% premiums on various precious metal coins, such as Plats and the Gold Buff fractionals, and it didn't hurt the popularity or the aftermarket pricing.

It depends on the popularity. The Aussie coins are pretty cool, after all. I dunno about the 10 kilo size, though.

Added, the more I think about 10 kilo, there are in fact other ways that I'd rather spend my money for "premium" issues. That's probably why I bought a 10 ozer Kook instead of the 10 kilo. The artwork and prooflike finishes are still the same, and you don't have to worry quite as much about how the heck to store it, or about accidentally dropping it and breaking your foot.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    140 ounces of silver for the premium.

WOW that is a premium....

I think you miss calculated image

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>140 ounces of silver for the premium.

WOW that is a premium....

I think you miss calculated image >>

The 10 kilo Tigers contain 321.5 troy ounces of silver. At $16.43 per ounce, that is $5282.24 worth of silver.

They cost $7509. That means you're paying $2226 over melt. $2226 / $16.43 = 135.48 ounces of silver.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame