Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wow ... New Way To Spam Ebay With Your Non-Ebay Coin Auctions ;-)

A certain collection of Fugios that will be up for auction @ B&M shortly is being spammed on ebay. The seller, or their representative, is auctioning the catalog for the B&M auction. However, the way that the catalog is being offered makes it obvious that the seller is uninterested in selling the catalog but is, instead, using the ebay auction to spam ebay users about the upcoming B&M auction. Interesting sales tactic ...

~ Linky-Dink ~

Comments

• Options
    well, if you can get $10 for the catalog you got for free, maybe I should try that.
  • Options
    No, he just wants everyone to know that his coins are for sale @ B&M.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If only that were the most egregiously offensive listing on ebay...

The seller is in Wallingford, CT. Let's have Wnuck and a few of his bodyguards pay him a visit. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excercising thrift in advertising is wise. Is there something misrepresented in the listing or wrong that makes it SPAM ? The catalog may go cheap, but the promotion is creative, from my perch. As well, the more exposure one can get, the likelier they are to reach the maximum success.

It is an interesting sales tactic and will create stiff competition for you at auction time.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>Excercising thrift in advertising is wise. Is there something misrepresented in the listing or wrong that makes it SPAM ? The catalog may go cheap, but the promotion is creative, from my perch. As well, the more exposure one can get, the likelier they are to reach the maximum success.

It is an interesting sales tactic and will create stiff competition for you at auction time. >>

But rules is rules and this is against 'em.

Report item->Listing violations->Inappropriate links and credits->Links to webpages to trade, sell or purchase goods outside of eBay

I did not report it, btw, just sayin'.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    And now the auction is getting free advertising on this forum image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Excercising thrift in advertising is wise. Is there something misrepresented in the listing or wrong that makes it SPAM ? The catalog may go cheap, but the promotion is creative, from my perch. As well, the more exposure one can get, the likelier they are to reach the maximum success.

It is an interesting sales tactic and will create stiff competition for you at auction time. >>

But rules is rules and this is against 'em.

Report item->Listing violations->Inappropriate links and credits->Links to webpages to trade, sell or purchase goods outside of eBay

I did not report it, btw, just sayin'. >>

Thanks... I have no problems with rules, just trying to understand the "spam" inference. Then again, this online life is about as silly as watching soap operas.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Where does it say in E-Bay that you can't do this? And even if you didn't report it asking others to do so is the same thing isn't it?-----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Genius. Although I think misleading to some degree, but fairly creative all in all. I wouldnt do it personally, but word of mouth is word of mouth right, and any publicity is good publicity.......

To be fair, Im now pretty interested in this catalog and sale...
  • Options

<< <i>It is an interesting sales tactic and will create stiff competition for you at auction time. >>

I will not be bidding on those coins ...
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>Where does it say in E-Bay that you can't do this? And even if you didn't report it asking others to do so is the same thing isn't it?-----------------------BigE >>

If that was directed to me, I didn't ask anyone to report. What I posted above:

Is the link and navigation through drop down menus.

On a completely different topic, does anyone think that the child is being somewhat exploited?
    imageRIP
  • Options
    <<On a completely different topic, does anyone think that the child is being somewhat exploited? >>

I do, but at the same time, when you need a hand, you need a hand. And their issue, if true, is a clear case of needing a hand. Im not saying its ok, just that I understand not having alot of options.
  • Options

<< <i>On a completely different topic, does anyone think that the child is being somewhat exploited? >>

Not in this case ... they revealed just as much information about her autism in the description of the set even before it was for sale. I think that it is simply their way of including her, in some fashion, in their hobby.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And now the auction is getting free advertising on this forum image >>

True, very true.image
    Becky
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If only that were the most egregiously offensive listing on ebay...

The seller is in Wallingford, CT. Let's have Wnuck and a few of his bodyguards pay him a visit. image >>

I say they should hang 'em high!! image
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    I would never resort to such treachery.image
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fletcher, I thought at first you were spamming this to help them out, then you seemed unhappy/angry. Hopefully you helped them anyway but I'd rather see something like this than a lot of the other stuff that goes on EBay.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay can handle it and in a twisted, roundabout way probably deserves to be advertising for a competitor at no charge!!image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I have no problem with the listing at all.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    eggboneeggbone Posts: 615
    Spam Spam Spam Spam
    Spam Spam
    Spam Spam

• Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294

<< <i>Fletcher, I thought at first you were spamming this to help them out, then you seemed unhappy/angry. Hopefully you helped them anyway but I'd rather see something like this than a lot of the other stuff that goes on EBay. >>

I was neither spamming for the sellers, nor unhappy/angry about the listing. I simply think that it is a clever sales tactic.
  • Options
    Smart.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file