Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

This mornings flea market find from 1793

And no it is not made in china.

Comments

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin if it is genuine! I wish that I were so lucky to come across this type of coin in a flea market! Was it priced right? -Dan
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I got it for $120. Seemed like a fair price.
  • Are you sure of the origin?

Dan, I agree, if it is real I would be intersted in this little metal disc...

Get a pedigree (PCGS or NGC) and if it is really real, I really, really want it!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
    There has been a large influx of counterfeits at the flea and farmers markets over the last few years. However IMO most are easy to distinguish. I am 99.9% sure this one is real. But I will be sending it to PCGS in the future. I need it for my world crown set I am working on.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing is throwing-up red flags for me. PCGS would grade it XF40 I believe.
  • Clearly a genuine coin. I'd say high VF if the surfaces are ok, a little high at $120 but still a fun find.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would call it a 40 as the reverse strike is decent. It looks genuine and the price seems fair.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    it looks good to me! let us know the grade if you do submit
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks real to me. I'll say high VF, shot XF. (VF30-35 would be the most likely range if I graded it, maybe.) Love the color and overall look of it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Excellent find! That's why I love flea markets!
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
    I feel these are undervalued especially for a coin that circulated in early US. If this was a US mint product from the era you could add many zeros to the end of the price.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.