Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is it just me, or are there others uneasy about sharing their set details?

I apologize if this topic has been brought up before, ad nauseum, but I've only recently begun adding cards to my set registry inventory, and have to date committed four (4) sets. I've decided not to share the details of my registry sets with the public at least until I've completed a set in the minimum grade I want. My main concern is what is to keep sellers from pricing material at exhorbitant levels based upon their knowledge gained through perusing the set registries? If a seller has an item that he knows is required from a buyer in order to complete his set, then the seller can raise the price of the material required, and still have a good chance at selling the material at the higher level. It would seem to me that the buyer would have to decide if paying the exhorbitant price is worth attaining the completion of the set?

Not making public the details of a set would prohibit a seller from doing this. Am I being overly cautious, or is this a valid concern? Have you been a victim of this practice? I would very much appreciate knowing other reasons registrants might have in not making their set details public? I also like to know what the benefits are for making a set public?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    i agree also, thats the reason my rose master set is blocked
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    I wouldnt worry about it. I don't know of too many sellers that have the time to check the registries on every card they put up. I especially wouldn't worry about this until you have reached the point of being one of the big hitters in a big set. Other collectors might look, but what can you do? I've actually gotten some nice deals by people contacting me trying to sell me cards that I needed.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    My sets aren't blocked, but then again they aren't the most sought after cards in the Collector's Universe either!
    There are two types of people in this world; those who like Neil Diamond, and those who don't. My ex-wife loves him!!
  • Options
    Let's look at this another way - let's say a dealer has a one of one population card that you happen to need for your set. On one hand the dealer might offer it to you at a slightly higher price than he might offer it to someone else, if he takes the time to know that you need it - but isn't it worth a bit more to be offered first shot at the card in the first place - if you feel it's too much, you can always counter offer or just say no. On the other hand, if he has a large pop card that he is over pricing, you certainly can and likely would say no knowing that finding another would be relatively easy.

I buy and sell and I can share a related scenario. I picked up a card that was the 3rd highest graded, but highest graded "available" (The 2 higher grades were tucked away in major collections) - I offered it to a player collector I found on the registry for $400. He declined and said he was only interested if I were to lower my price. I e-mailed him back and let him know I was in no hurry to sell and thanked him for his time. I didn't care if he bought the card or not - If I didn't get what I wanted, I wasn't selling - to him or anyone else. For more common items, I have no problem negotiating.

A friend and I are buliding a set as well and have been offered cards through the registry listing - some of them (really key cards) we've purchased, others we've passed on. If you are an educated collector in your set/specialty, it is relatively easy to make these decisions. If you are not "public" you are on your own. My 2 cents.

-Howard
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see the point of blocking your set from public but only in a situation where your chasing a low pop or "tough card" for a basic set I dont see what the big deal is.

However everone has their own opinion on the matter and I respect that!
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When your sets are public you get many unsolicited e-mails telling you a card you need is available for sale. You can consider this a good thing or a nuisance depending on your point of view.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I agree with you on your assessment. I will tell you that I have had 9 sets listed on the set registry and I have only had one email in 8 years offering me a card that could help my set. I don't believe opening your sets to the public would help you pick up those cards that you lack. If you were collecting a set that is a main stream collection it may not be that big of a deal. If you were collecting a very tough issue I think you would be crazy to show that cards that you need.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    I was able to finish with the last card to my 660 card registry set because I got a cold-call email from someone who saw I needed it. Remember too, you always have the final say on a card purchase. If it's priced to too high - just say NO!
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    None of my sets are blocked due to the fact that I know the limit of what I am going to pay for the "needed" item. The seller doesn't control me and my decision making. At the same time, there have been a lot of great board members who have contacted me with extras or contacts that have helped me achieve my goals. JMO
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I would not have a problem opening my sets up for all to view if I had success of cards being offered to me.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    What if a seller chooses not to grade a card because he can't see if anyone needs it?

That wouldn't apply to many sets (if you've got a nm-mt card from 57 T, it's a no-brainer to send it in), but on more modern sets it might.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    A look at the pop report should inform the collector as to whether or not to submit. I know, I know, POP REPORT IS INACCURATE DUE TO CRACK AND RESUBS! But as a crude tool, it works pretty well.
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    For 95% of the registry sets and the collectors that collect them, it is a non issue to have your sets open.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Paranoia strikes deep
    Into your life it will creep
    It starts when you're always afraid
    You step out of line, the man come and take you away..

Buffalo Springfield
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    This line of thinking makes no sense.

Let's say a seller sees you need a card, and prices it above what you're willing to pay. In such a case one of two things happen:

1) The seller doesn't move the card at that price, and eventually lowers the price to a point that brings you into the market.
    2) The seller does move the card at that price, in which case you were never going to get it anyway because someone else was willing to pay more than you.

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Hey Boo,
    Is your avatar the face of Ronnie Spector?
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey Boo,
    Is your avatar the face of Ronnie Spector? >>

Yes! That's an old Ronnie photo I pulled off the Internet. Nice catch!
  • Options
    thriller13thriller13 Posts: 90 ✭✭

<< <i>Let's say a seller sees you need a card, and prices it above what you're willing to pay. In such a case one of two things happen: 1) The seller doesn't move the card at that price, and eventually lowers the price to a point that brings you into the market. 2) The seller does move the card at that price, in which case you were never going to get it anyway because someone else was willing to pay more than you. >>

You forgot the 3rd possibility. Seller is also a collector of the set and offers you the card at a fair price to help a fellow collector with a set they both love. This has happened often enough that I would never hide my sets.
    ----------------------------------------
    Currently working on:
    1955 Topps All-American
    George Brett Master Set
    2009 A&G's
  • Options
    I really appreciate the education I'm receiving on the finer points of publicizing sets on the registry. There is a lot of valuable, thoughtful and intelligent discourse taking place and I thank all of you for taking the time to help a newer set registry participant come to some decision on this question. I see that there are definite polar opposites on this issue. At one end are the folks that are positive about the benefits of publicizing one's sets. Namely, placing themselves in a position to receive offers on needed items that they require. I find this very advantageous, particularly if you are zeroing in on completing a set, or are accumulating a batch of starter cards. And we would probably all agree that "the seller doesn't control [us] and [our] decision making."

Frankly, it's the other end of the spectrum that has me uncertain. Reasons for not publicizing one's sets. Several people have made similar assertions such as: "...don't worry [about publicizing your set] until you've reached the point of being one of the big hitters in a big set." "I can see the point of blocking your set in the situation where your chasing a low-pop or tough card." "If you're collecting a tough issue...you would be crazy to show the cards you need." So there does seem to be situations where you would want to block your sets.

Of course this raises a couple more questions that I can only make an educated guess about. "Big hitter in a big set!" Is this someone collecting investment-grade material in a popular set; or a large numbered set? What is the criteria for a set being considered a "tough issue?" Is this lack of available items in general, or lack of available items at higher grade levels? I'm not really sure whether I fall into the category of someone who should be blocking their sets or not. I'll use myself as an example, and hopefully you'll be kind enough to offer me your opinion based upon my collecting style.

I don't have deep pockets, so I am unable to collect sets in what I consider investment-grade (PSA-8 and up). My only current interest is in collecting vintage football cards from Leaf and Bowman. I haven't started collecting any 48s or 54 and 55 issues as yet, but have at least dabbled in all the others. I'm actively building sets of PSA-7 or better in 50, 51 and 53 Bowmans, and PSA-6 or better in 52 Smalls. At these collecting levels, would I need to be concerned at blocking my sets? If so, under what circumstances?

Cheers

• Options
    I collect the gamut of football sets (from 48 Leaf - 2008 SP Authentic). All my sets are public and I have never had an issue. Matter of fact I would have never met any of the fine collectors on this board if my sets were blocked. Over the years I've received emails from guys looking to sell cards, as well as guys offering to buy my cards or trade. For the sets and grades you have mentioned, leave your sets open. You'll build them faster and make some great friends in the process.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    " I'm actively building sets of PSA-7 or better in 50, 51 and 53 Bowmans, and PSA-6 or better in 52 Smalls. At these collecting levels, would I need to be concerned at blocking my sets? If so, under what circumstances?"

There's not much to be worried about there. You'll likely be contacted with cards at very reasonable levels. If you're offered something that seems high check the pop and it's probably justified.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    keep your sets public for all to see...some have theirs set to private, not because they are afraid of sellers, but because they want to remain #1 on the set.

the only time I set mine to private is when I am working on it (photos/descriptions/et cetera)

• Options
    I like to keep my sets private until they're done. Far to many times I have noticed an increase in prices of the cards I needed when my sets were open. I like to open them once in a while to show the cards off but I keep them private while I'm working on them.
  • Options
    cardboardjunky,

You've pretty much expressed the way I've felt about how I currently handle my registry sets. I've intended to keep my sets private, because I am also concerned with prices being increased based on sellers knowing which cards I need. I've also intended to only open my sets upon their completion. There seem to be plenty of people who would agree with you. With that said though, others have made good cases for keeping the sets they're working on open.

Boo makes the excellent point that in a nutshell, the buyer makes the final decision on whether an item is priced too high. If it's too high, you walk; no problem. I also read and reread the concise statement that Fabfrank made concerning his experience that opening sets up for viewing has allowed him to build them faster and has made him some great friends in the process. I do find this appealing.

One important distinction that I'm gathering from this thread is that it seems to me that the higher the level of the set being collected, the more sense it might make to not publicize the set until completion, and vice-versa. Is this distinction I'm making nonsensical, or does it have merit? And would someone please explain to me what a "BIG HITTER IN A BIG ISSUE" is?

Thanks so much,
    Kevin

• Options
    And would someone please explain to me what a "BIG HITTER IN A BIG ISSUE" is?

Kevin, and this is my opinion, but a good example would be someone building a PSA 8 1952 Bowman Large football set. It's considered a landmark set, and cards in PSA 8 or better would be considered the best examples in existence.
    That being said, you would have to have deep pockets (Big Hitter??) to build this "Big Issue"
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭

<< <i>cardboardjunky,

You've pretty much expressed the way I've felt about how I currently handle my registry sets. I've intended to keep my sets private, because I am also concerned with prices being increased based on sellers knowing which cards I need. I've also intended to only open my sets upon their completion. There seem to be plenty of people who would agree with you. With that said though, others have made good cases for keeping the sets they're working on open.

Boo makes the excellent point that in a nutshell, the buyer makes the final decision on whether an item is priced too high. If it's too high, you walk; no problem. I also read and reread the concise statement that Fabfrank made concerning his experience that opening sets up for viewing has allowed him to build them faster and has made him some great friends in the process. I do find this appealing.

One important distinction that I'm gathering from this thread is that it seems to me that the higher the level of the set being collected, the more sense it might make to not publicize the set until completion, and vice-versa. Is this distinction I'm making nonsensical, or does it have merit? And would someone please explain to me what a "BIG HITTER IN A BIG ISSUE" is?

Thanks so much,
    Kevin >>

Kevin,
    You should really make your decision based on your personality. You don't need "deep pockets" to over spend. First off, make sure you know the market you are dealing with. If you know a particular card in a particular set that you collect has recently sold for $75-$100 are you the type of person that is willing to pay $150 just because you need it for your set or will you wait for one to come along at the price thats in line with previous sales. If you are trying to complete the set but willing to wait it out and always wait for the right price then open all your sets. If you're willing to pay hefty premiums to get it done then keep your sets closed. Simple as that.
    Good Luck on your sets.
    Roger-
  • Options
    Fabfrank made concerning his experience that opening sets up for viewing has allowed him to build them faster and has made him some great friends in the process

BTW, Rogermnj is one of the good (not great) image friends I've met on these boards because my sets were public.
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭

<< <i>Fabfrank made concerning his experience that opening sets up for viewing has allowed him to build them faster and has made him some great friends in the process

BTW, Rogermnj is one of the good (not great) image friends I've met on these boards because my sets were public. >>

BTW, im finally moving into manhattan may 1st on 30th and 11th. A bit out of the way but will be having a house warming bash on or around may 7th. I'll give you a reggie white card you need for your set if you come have a drink image
  • Options
    What did I tell, good not greatimage

LMK Roger, If I can't make it that night, we'll get together another time.
  • Options
    Fabfrank,

Thanks for the good advice, and for clearing up my big hitter/issue conundrum. I'm not a big hitter, but will on the rare occasion "treat" myself to something special. I have a few sets that are not particularly upper tier that I will probably open in the near future. One thing that I do with my inventory is to put the name of the sellers, auctions, lots, etc under "owner's comments". Would it be showing a lack of etiquette to leave that information there where everyone would be able to see it, and should I move it to "source" where it doesn't appear?

And by the way, my jaw hit the desk when I saw both your '48 FB sets. No quals and very impressive.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I think kbkards has it right on. Let's face it, at 7 on the 1951 football set, you are in at nice, but not exclusive cards. The big hitters of sportscards aren't looking to buy 7's. They want the 9's and 10's (or 8's on a particularly tough card). At 7, you are bidding against guys like me. I'm on a budget. I can only spend so much per month. I can't outbid anyone.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    And by the way, my jaw hit the desk when I saw both your '48 FB sets. No quals and very impressive

Thanks for the compliment Kevin. I would like to upgrade some of the cards in those sets. My goal was to have the 48 Bowman set in at least PSA 7 and the 48 Leaf in at least PSA 6

As for your wanting to list the source of the cards in the "Owners Comments" section (which a few other collectors do), IMO, It's okay if it's already public information. Such as an auction lot or if you bought the item on Ebay. If you do an off line deal, I would limit it to "Bought or traded with..." without mentioning price.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    It's weird that you would want to hide your sets, but then you'd list private information about every purchase and expose you're bidding habits. What you bought on Ebay isn't public information as Ebay hides your identity. The only way people will know what you bought and what you're willing to pay is if you give them that info. Even if you don't list the price if you list the selling auction house or ebay seller it's easy to obtain. If you're worried about people using that info then don't put it up. If somebody sees you paid at auction $15 and $40 for identical pop $25 SMR cards then why not offer them to you for $35-$40. It's exactly what you were worried about happening but can only happen if you tell people what you'll pay if you have to.
  • Options
    KBK,

You are being kind. It was more than weird, it was just a plain stupid statement for me to make. I thought about what I had posted shortly after I sent it, and realized I didn't say it right. I've been putting the auction number, auction lot, and if an item was purchased off Ebay or other venue, the sellers username in the owner's comments section. With that said, if there is a buyer who is continually bidding me up on the same material, I use VCP to try to determine if there are any clues as to how high they might go on future items. This is one of the reasons I have multiple sets going at the same time, so that I don't get tempted to get into bidding wars, with the result that I'm not happy with the prices I'm paying. I can determine fairly easily who the buyer(s) is/are bidding up prices, and wonder if they realize they are telegraphing their buying intentions. Me putting any information in the owner's comments section, is doing the same thing; even worse.

Where I was coming from with that was my concern that someone might not appreciate a mention in someone els's owner's comments. Anyway, you hit the nail-on-the-head, and I appreciate your sound and prudent advice. It's going take me some work, but whatever sets I decide to open up, I'm gonna' make sure there are no entries in the owner's comments section.

Thanks,
    Kevin
  • Options
    I do not think that having sellers offer you cards that you need via email at high prices is so much the problem. Collectors always have the option to reject their offer to sell. I think the bigger problem is that there are a number of collectors who will bid on cards on ebay (even though they do not need the cards) just to prevent other collectors from having that card and possibly improving their set. This has happened to me more than once.

I personally have chosen to publish my sets anyways. My thinking is that eventually these "greedy" collectors will get tired of buying cards they do not need or they will run out of money. The Set Rregistry has become awfully competitive. I believe PSA has contributed to this by allowing all sorts of card variations to be added to sets by anyone who simply owns the card and asks to add the card to the Set Registry. There are sellers who start a set (not really interested in collecting) just so that they can add a card to the Master Set Registry (especially rare cards or unique variations ). These cards becomes the focus of "real" collectors who end up paying any price just to have that card. In this case , seller wins!!!