Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check out this lamination flaw on this Franklin half.

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is this common? Is it worth much more than melt?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    Yikes ol'ben's been scalped..thats well cool image
  • Options
    Very neat!

Since it's circulated it wouldn't have a huge premium but it is worth more than melt. Is that a cud at 4:00 or just another planchet flaw? How's the reverse look?
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very neat!

Since it's circulated it wouldn't have a huge premium but it is worth more than melt. Is that a cud at 4:00 or just another planchet flaw? How's the reverse look? >>

Thats a rim dent--actually a small puncture in the rim. The reverse is normal. Its a Denver mint product.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat coin!
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is pretty cool.....MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I have to ask this question: Do you think that the planchet flaw/de-lamination occurred before or after striking took place?

I ask because I am trying to figure out another silver coin with a similar planchet flaw
  • Options
    That's huge!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    very neat .....almost looks like bell lines under his temple !
  • Options

<< <i>Yikes ol'ben's been scalped >>

<< <i>..thats well cool >>

Successful BST transactions with: copperhunter (2010), Tdec1000 (2010), barrytrot (2011), kaz, (2011), Metalsman (2011), jimineez1 (2020), U1chicago (2020)

• Options

That coin has been out in the sun too long.....ben is peelingimage
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭
    Frankenstein!!!
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Neat
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to ask this question: Do you think that the planchet flaw/de-lamination occurred before or after striking took place?

I ask because I am trying to figure out another silver coin with a similar planchet flaw >>

Looking at this lamination, Id have to say that the lamination was attached during the striking of the coin and now has peeled or was torn off the host coin. This is a huge lamination flaw and would carry only a slight premium to an error collector. It would have been better had this not been a circulated coin, but on a neatness scale it is about a 6.5

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    That is neat, very neat. Good thing it's not MS. as our hosts won't holder a peeling lamination (code 83). Can't understand why, though.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You see something new every day here. That is awesome.

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is very cool...Almost looks like the bottom half of the USA...With Texas and Baja...image A definite keeper for sure...

AB image
  • Options
    Amazing piece, and yes, worth more than melt. Id pay quite abit more than melt for that piece.

And excellent image.
  • Options
    Here are a couple Franklins on defective planchets I have from the Bushmaster collection. The first is a 1958 Type 2, one of my favorites. The 1963 looks like it'd be FBL if it weren't for the defect.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the rare craniumectomy error.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's your brain... here's your brain on drugs...
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Frankenstein!!! >>

Ben Stein!
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I'll bet if that was thrown on Ebay it might bring $50 to $75 bucks even circulated...but I could be wrong image
  • Options
    I would say $20-$30.

If UNC, $300-$500.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say $20-$30.

If UNC, $300-$500. >>

In my book this is a very cool coin, no question. But does stuff like this lamination increase the value? I always thought lamination decreased the value....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I think it's awesome!
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>

<< <i>I would say $20-$30.

If UNC, $300-$500. >>

In my book this is a very cool coin, no question. But does stuff like this lamination increase the value? I always thought lamination decreased the value.... >>

And for yet another opinion, I'd think it would be worth more circulated than uncirculated. You'd think an error like that would have either been pulled by the bank, a collector or just some random person who thought it looked cool well before it had the chance to circulate all that much.
    imageRIP

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file