Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's wrong with this coin.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is currently running on TeleTrade and just doesn't look right to me. What do you think of it and what might be responsible for the strange appearance. Thanks in advance.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Looks like PVC. Perhaps from temporarily being stored in a soft flip for transportation to PCGS.
    Tom

• Options
    well, that's one problem i suspect and one cause.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like PVC. Perhaps from temporarily being stored in a soft flip for transportation to PCGS. >>

Sounds logical to me......

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost looks like it was puttied.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    looks like it was helped to get CAM and now the help is drying up
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    artificial frosting starting to bleed into the fields

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    This coin sold in Heritage's Long Beach auction link here.

It went dirt cheap, but looks to be a dog. I did not see it in hand, but it looks like whatever was used to artificially frost it is now turning to haze.

For comparison, here is a photo of a 1940 in PCGS PR65CAM that I own.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    my opinion when i first saw it this evening was that it looks exactly as you described it, Paul. looking at the Heritage pictures, i have little doubt. this one is bad and an embarrassment.

imageimage
  • Options
    .....good work Keet's image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another one that the Malparctice insurance will have to carry.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing wrong with the coin is that it doesn't seem to match the label describing it's grade and designation.

Of course,... that's a lot wrong, Al.
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with keets as well. Can't believe it made it through grading, given so few in CAM and that it would be even be considered for sale again!
  • Options
    what's strange is that it's selling for the second time in less than a month at two prominant auction venues. i'd like to know how it got turned around so fast from the Heritage sale and entered into the TeleTrade sale only 21 days later.

---every time i've bought from Heritage it's about 10-14 days from auction close to receiving the coin(s).
    ---every time i've consigned to Teletrade it's about a week to get the coins to them and then 3-4 weeks minimum till they are auctioned.
  • Options
    i would add that i once bought a SEGS 1940 PR65CAM Jefferson from a Toledo, Ohio area dealer and cracked it out to rinse it due to haze. it still had some contrast but nowhere near what is needed for the designation. i suspect that the SEGS coin had PVC damage which made it look "frosted" and not some AF, but it also had some unfortunate black spotting, perhaps from a flawed planchet or rusted die. i've seen several 1940 and 1941 Proof Jeffersons with that defect.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what's strange is that it's selling for the second time in less than a month at two prominant auction venues. i'd like to know how it got turned around so fast from the Heritage sale and entered into the TeleTrade sale only 21 days later.

---every time i've bought from Heritage it's about 10-14 days from auction close to receiving the coin(s).
    ---every time i've consigned to Teletrade it's about a week to get the coins to them and then 3-4 weeks minimum till they are auctioned. >>

Could have been bought by someone at the show, paid for at the show, and consigned to TT at the show? I've never been to a large show, but is this plausible?

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Looks like either PVC or a failed attempt at artificial frost. Either way that thing is a dog's butt.

I do not believe, as some others do, that a short stay (trip to PCGS) in a PVC flip could cause something like that. Long term, on the other hand, is a different story.
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that looks bad.

Here is an interesting 1951 that I had my eye on, but went too high for me!

HERE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file