Home Sports Talk
Options

My oh My....OMG....Look what just happened....

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
Canada 3 USA 2

According to the 'experts' on this forum, this wasn't supposed to happen.

'Own the podium' was laughed at.

According to Jack Nicklaus, we did own the podium

14 Golds

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    And you've become an ugly American. Congrats!
  • Options

<< <i>And you've become an ugly American. Congrats! >>

another insult from a poor loser.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    DoubleEagle59.......Definitely Congrats are in order for Canada!

HOWEVER! Were you not just a Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit worried about the Hockey
    for a length of time?

You gotta give it to the USA boys, they really did a good job, but Canada just
    did it a little better!

• Options

<< <i>DoubleEagle59.......Definitely Congrats are in order for Canada!

HOWEVER! Were you not just a Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit worried about the Hockey
    for a length of time?

You gotta give it to the USA boys, they really did a good job, but Canada just
    did it a little better! >>

oh I was worried alright.

The US definetely have a great young team and as I stated earlier, I think the best goalie this year.

There was a 50/50 chance of winning.

Could have gone either way.

• Options
    Well put....

And I wish the best to Canada and congrats to them on winning a VERY important
    "TEAM" Sport that they can call "Theirs" !

Now, everyone, stop with the jabbing back and forth about Canada and the USA,
    we are fortunate to have each other on our borders-WHO ELSE in the world can
    say that ?

ONCE AGAIN! C-O-N-G-R-A-T-S to Canada (Especially since Seve Yzerman is from there!)

Tony
    KalineFan

• Options

<< <i>Well put....

And I wish the best to Canada and congrats to them on winning a VERY important
    "TEAM" Sport that they can call "Theirs" !

Now, everyone, stop with the jabbing back and forth about Canada and the USA,
    we are fortunate to have each other on our borders-WHO ELSE in the world can
    say that ?

ONCE AGAIN! C-O-N-G-R-A-T-S to Canada (Especially since Seve Yzerman is from there!)

Tony
    KalineFan >>

You're absolutely right.

When you consider North America ( Canada and the US) and the totals we have accomplished and compare this with Winter Olympics of the past where Russia, Norway, Austria and Germany use to clean up, we should all be very proud of our young athletes.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than about 2 minutes of curling, the OT hockey game was all I watched of this Olympics...and it was some good sports drama there in OT.

Canada seemed to outplay the US in OT and they deserved the win.

Congrats to Canada - A great friend and ally of the United States, and a great country...and I'm happy for them.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    ah that pesky metric system fails you again. Own the Podium repetition for emphasis.

US 37
    Germany 30
    Canada 26

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ah that pesky metric system fails you again. Own the Podium repetition for emphasis.

US 37
    Germany 30
    Canada 26 >>

Dude get over it. They owned it. 14 Golds. Nice showing for our athletes, but too many silvers to Canadian winners.

The gold winner is the only one who gets their song played.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    I don't care...just saying the "own the podium" program wasn't about just gold medals.

Own the Podium

The program has been criticized as being impolite and un-Canadian, and the COC admitted half way through the Games that Canada would not, in fact, reach its original goal of earning the most medals of any country. Canada finished in third place, behind the U.S .and Germany.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>ah that pesky metric system fails you again. Own the Podium repetition for emphasis.

US 37
    Germany 30
    Canada 26 >>

Dude get over it. They owned it. 14 Golds. Nice showing for our athletes, but too many silvers to Canadian winners.

The gold winner is the only one who gets their song played. >>

Not quite Sagard. The USA doesn't have as many athletes as Canada does in winter sports competition. Most of our athletes paritcipate
    in warm weather or indoor athletics. How does Canada do at the summer games, eh ?

They owned nothing. We beat their mens hockey team in regulation, and then lost to them in overtime. We beat them on aggregate score.
    Our Olympic hockey record was better then theirs, considering goals for/against, and head to head.

And we won the world juniors in their backyard this year too. They can pound their chests all they want, but we outdid them this year.
  • Options
    ......and I do agree with the sentiment that it was nice to see both North American countries do so well. Both countries
    can be proud of their athletes.
  • Options
    Watching Eric Staal getting a Gold Medal and watching piece of crap Brooks Orpik not getting a Gold was about the only satisfying thing for me. If we had to lose to somebody I am glad it was Canada.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

US 37
    Germany 30
    Canada 26 >>

+1 for accuracy. Yes, the Canadians won the most gold medals and IMO that is whats most important. Kudos to our nothern neighbors for a job well done. However, owning the podium was about total medals, not gold medals. In that regard, the red, white, and blue was a winner.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wake me up when baseball season starts...image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Wake me up when baseball season starts...image >>

Wake me up when baseball season is over... ZZZZZZZZZZZ
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why on earth do they not do a weighted average for medal count? .... anybody who thinks a bronze equals a gold is looney tunes (no pun intended hosers). I'd say Canada "won" these olympics.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Why on earth do they not do a weighted average for medal count? .... anybody who thinks a bronze equals a gold is looney tunes (no pun intended hosers). I'd say Canada "won" these olympics. >>

Well even if you give it a 3/2/1 points structure, the US would have 70 points versus 61 for Canada. I'd say the U.S still won... if there's actually a winner here persay.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess they briefly used a 5-3-1 system. Then went to most golds "officially". They know that funding follows medals in most countries now, so the also go with total. Interesting.

edit: Using that weighting US still would have won -- US 103, Canada/Germany (tie) 96 -- I stand corrected.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Here's what happened. The Olympics are finally over!!! YES! The hockey was so exciting that I flipped by the game, saw that it was going to OT, and went upstairs to take a shower.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's what happened. The Olympics are finally over!!! YES! The hockey was so exciting that I flipped by the game, saw that it was going to OT, and went upstairs to take a shower. >>

Soooo.... your point is? Okay, we get it. You don't like hockey. You like some other boring sport that I get to take a nap for 160+ times a year... during the regular season alone. Thanks for the input. Have a great evening.
  • Options
    When did we get a hockey team? We got 2nd??? Hipp-hipp, hooray !
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess they briefly used a 5-3-1 system. Then went to most golds "officially". They know that funding follows medals in most countries now, so the also go with total. Interesting.

edit: Using that weighting US still would have won -- US 103, Canada/Germany (tie) 96 -- I stand corrected. >>

+1. I like it. That system makes sense.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Dear Canada,

Lets play football!

Sincerely,

America
  • Options

<< <i>

US 37
    Germany 30
    Canada 26 >>

+1 for accuracy. Yes, the Canadians won the most gold medals and IMO that is whats most important. Kudos to our nothern neighbors for a job well done. However, owning the podium was about total medals, not gold medals. In that regard, the red, white, and blue was a winner.

-Michael >>

+1

Canadians can't spin their way out of that. By their own definition, the US owns the podium.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    the olympics suck
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats- a well played game

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.