Home Sports Talk
Options

Canada sucks; Crosby sucks!

Discuss.

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    It's disappointing...but the fact that Crosby made the winning goal really sucks. He will now be even further exhaulted in the Great White North.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    It'll be like Lemieux. If you touch him, you go to the box.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed, but not that much. Congrats to Canada; winning a gold medal in your national sport in front of your own fans has to be a very special feeling.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    i dont like him whatever
  • Options
    Would have rather seen Staal get the game winner. Or Iginla.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Like him or not, he keeps getting it done. A Stanley Cup and now a Gold Medal. I am not a big fan of his but I have to give him his due.
  • Options
    I'm proud of the boys making it this far, since barely anyone gave us a chance to even get the bronze. Leading up to it, it was centered on Canada and Russia, so it's nice to perform well and shock some people. I can't wait until Tuesday night to welcome Ryan Malone back to Tampa!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Would have rather seen Staal get the game winner. Or Iginla. >>

My thoughts exactly. I'm officially sick of Sidney Crosby, but hey- he really is one hell of a hockey player.

Overall it was a great tournament. I'm sad to see it end.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    crosby was garbage today. only thing he did was get the ot winner (but i guess he has to get credit for that). oh, i am canadian btw.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    i like ovechkin more he had only llya and malkin to support him. Crosby had all this talent with him and they did the work
  • Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    I was really pulling for our boys in blue. Although they lost it was a great game for hockey.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't watch it till the OT - a disappointment for the team but not for the USA - who picked up the most medals - tho Canada had the most gold.

I enjoyed watching the olympics - overall.

I can't believe what people pay to see the opening and closing of the event!!!
    Mike
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait until Tuesday night to welcome Ryan Malone back to Tampa!

be sure to tell him thanks for not back-checking on that 2nd goal.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    who played?
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    GREAT GAME!!
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    I guess the shot Crosby made was so easy that you could of made it and the Stanley cup he won was won by his line mates who were Kunitz and Guerin! He makes everybody around him play at a higher level on the Pens team and today he did what he always does, makes key plays at the right time. Some of you guys sound like Flyer's fans who hate him but would love to have him on their team. I feel for the USA and Ryan Miller who Crosby beat in OT in the first winter classic and now today for the GOLD Medal.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i like ovechkin more he had only llya and malkin to support him. Crosby had all this talent with him and they did the work >>

What are you smoking? Do you know how loaded the Russian squad is/was? Those Ovechkin/Malkin/Kovalchuk were potentially the most gifted single line in the Olympics, but it takes a team to win. Look at the USA team. You'd be lucky to find more than 3 players that could've made the Canadian squad and maybe 5 that would've made the Russian squad, but look who was playing for the Gold...

Like Crosby or not, he's going to be the face of hockey for the next decade and, in my mind, is the best player in the world right now. You can have Ovechkin. Give me Sid to start my team any day... Heck, I'd take Malkin over Ovechkin, too...

It was nice to see Parise score the game tying goal. That kid is so underrated and it was nice for the world to get to see how talented he really is.

Now, I can't wait until Tuesday night to see the Devils beat the Canadiens...
  • Options
    looking forward to tuesday to see the hawks play the islanders
  • Options
    Agreed, he is the the best player in the world and like Lemieux and Gretzky did, he makes memorable big plays when it counts. Try and accept the fact the he is the face of the NHL for a long long time and rightfully so!
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Would have rather seen Staal get the game winner. Or Iginla.

Iginla was ghost for both games vs the US. Toews was the best player on the ice for the Canadians all tournament long...but Sid will get credit for the entire tournament cuz that's how the Canadian press rolls.
  • Options
    Iginla has been my best player with Parise on my fantasy hockey team for a few years now and as a Pens fan after I saw the Hawks in Pittsburgh I agree Toews is a stud on a team that will win a Cup sooner than later.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    The USA played a great tournament and have a lot of youth and will very good for years to come. Congrats to Canada, but with the players on that squad you should have played much vetter the whole tournament. They rolled out line after line of 40 goal scorers and they just barely won.
  • Options
    I hate that Crosby was compared to Gretzky...NEVER.

Don't forget also who carried the Pens last year into the playoffs when Sid was hurt (Malkin). He is good that's for sure but one guy does not win alone.

Hey maybe after five years in the league he might score 50 goals for the first time.
    Trying to climb the 1954-55 Topps Hockey ladder for the second time.

• Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    "I hate that Crosby was compared to Gretzky...NEVER. "

I agree. I have seen Greztzky play and you sir are no Gretzky!
    When Crosby breaks Greztzky's records in half the time, call me, I will start to listen only then.
  • Options
    Very nice, I was actually interested in hockey for a few days when I found the USA was in it vs Canada. Great game for hockey but it's over now. Back to spring training.
  • Options
    Ovie has a legitiment shot of breaking gretzky's records crosby not as much.
  • Options
    This canadian pop star sucks to. Party in the usa anyone?
  • Options

<< <i>Ovie has a legitiment shot of breaking gretzky's records crosby not as much. >>

I know you can't say never butttttt, I don't know about that one.

Gretzky
    894 - g
    1963 - a
    2857 - tp

Those are BIG numbers

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ovie has a legitiment shot of breaking gretzky's records crosby not as much. >>

Define legitimate...
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I feel for the USA and Ryan Miller who Crosby beat in OT in the first winter classic and now today for the GOLD Medal. >>

Miller was out for the WC, Crosby beat Ty Conklin.

EDIT: yup, I was wrong, that's what I get for posting after working all night. Not the 1st time, won't be the last .....image
  • Options
    What! you are mistaken. Conklin played for the Pens in the Winter Classic. Miller was Buffalo's goalie.

As for Crosby, remember what age Sid is (22) and at what age he won his first cup + Gold medal. I do not think he will ever match up to Lemieux or Gretzky in career totals but he is already showing he is a winner and is great for the game.

Top 5 players ever
    1. Lemieux
    2. Gretzky
    3. Orr
    4. Howe
    5. M Richard
  • Options

• Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Great game all around. Love the international style of play which emphasizes speed and skill. Disappointed that the US lost, disappointed that a Shark didn't get the game winner (was secretly hoping it would be Heatley since they seem to hate him so much up there) but it was a classic game in every sense. Parise certainly showed what he could do when freed from the Devils oppressive style. What a hockey player!

I was glad the game wasn't decided by a non-call, controversy, or a cheap shot.

Crosby? From the standpoint of him being an opponent, yeah, right now hate him, but crap, he's only 22 and has already won a scoring title, MVP, Stanley Cup and now a gold medal. Sid the Kid's a big gamer, no question and he's definitely one you pay to watch.

Russia did have the best team on paper but they didn't play as a team and their defense, especially in the Canada, game was just horrible. Hockey is a team game and the US lads were probably the best "team" in the tournament until today.

Congrats to Canada, and props to Vancouver, one of my favorite cities to visit, for putting on a good show.

Now all I have to look forward to is the Sharks annual first or second round exit from the Stanley Cup playoffs...

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now all I have to look forward to is the Sharks annual first or second round exit from the Stanley Cup playoffs... >>

No, no Moose! Not this year! No way.

Although, Nabokov sure scared me, as he wilted under the heat of a Medal game. And the "Sharks Line" for TC didn't do much. (Pavelski almost won it for USA, though!)

This year, it's going to be different for the Sharks come April.

Hey! Stop laughing back there...just you wait!

Tell them, Moose!
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now all I have to look forward to is the Sharks annual first or second round exit from the Stanley Cup playoffs... >>

Unfortunately, you're probably right - I'd love to see the Sharks win the Cup.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Both have played 5 years and both have a long ways to go before they even get into the Gretzsky conversation. And it will only get worse for them as Gretzsky got even better!!

Ovechkin GP-----G-----A------P-----+/-//-PIM---SH---
    NHL TOTALS---378---261---248---509---62---282---2,074
    Crosby
    NHL TOTALS---351---174---301---475---39---338---1,165

Gretzsky-FIRST 5 YEARS
    NHL TOTALS---391---312---501---818--273---153---1588
  • Options
    Greatest ever... The Great One!

• Options

Gretzky played in an era with a lot more offense. Right now there is nobody that is even going to come close to his records. If Gretzky never scored a goal he would still be the All-Time leader in points. They year he scored 50 goals in 39 games, if he did not play another game that season he would have lead the league in points that year.
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    LOL! I didn't realize there were more Sharks fans here!

• Options
    Did any of you Crosby haters and Gretzky lovers ever see the teams that gretzky played on!You all make it sound like he played with a bunch of no names.Messier,Coffey,Kurri,Fuhr just off the top of my head.Great players make teammates better and make big plays when it counts as Gretzky, Lemieux,and now Crosby does!

Lou
    Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    "Gretzky played in an era with a lot more offense."

I disagree; they have no center line so now they have those long blue line passes. This was to create more offense!
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

<< <i>"Gretzky played in an era with a lot more offense."

I disagree; they have no center line so now they have those long blue line passes. This was to create more offense! >>

Touche'
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    It was that there was more offense in Gretzky's day, it was lack of defense. The forwards weren't expected to get back as a group, the goalies had reasonable sized pads, and shot blocking wasn't a skill every defensemen had.

Crosby and Ovechkin will be lucky to get within 400pts of Gretzky. They are both way more skilled than Gretzky in my opinion. Gretzky broke new ground and showed people what was possible. These guys and many others are taking hockey skills to new levels.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Alexander Ovechkin has more goals per-game than even Wayne Gretzky. Granted it's his young career compared to Gretzky's entire career, but interesting none-the-less.
  • Options

I disagree; they have no center line so now they have those long blue line passes. This was to create more offense! >>

They do not have a center line because there was no offense in the late 90's and early 00's. I am going tp compare the 80's to the 00's to show the difference. The 50 goal mark was acheived 75 times in the 80's compared to only 10 times in the 00's. Also, the 100 points in a season was achieved 99 times in the 80's compared to only 24 times in the 00's. I maybe off a few here and there, but overall the 80's was a much more offense time than now.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

They do not have a center line because there was no offense in the late 90's and early 00's. I am going tp compare the 80's to the 00's to show the difference. The 50 goal mark was acheived 75 times in the 80's compared to only 10 times in the 00's. Also, the 100 points in a season was achieved 99 times in the 80's compared to only 24 times in the 00's. I maybe off a few here and there, but overall the 80's was a much more offense time than now. >>

Plus Gretzky played nearly half his career games in the '80s and nearly the other half in the '90s. So he was on each end of the spectrum.
  • Options

<< <i>

Crosby and Ovechkin will be lucky to get within 400pts of Gretzky. They are both way more skilled than Gretzky in my opinion. . >>

Can you explain what they are way more skilled at ?
  • Options

<< <i>It was that there was more offense in Gretzky's day, it was lack of defense. The forwards weren't expected to get back as a group, the goalies had reasonable sized pads, and shot blocking wasn't a skill every defensemen had.

Crosby and Ovechkin will be lucky to get within 400pts of Gretzky. They are both way more skilled than Gretzky in my opinion. Gretzky broke new ground and showed people what was possible. These guys and many others are taking hockey skills to new levels. >>

I agree with the syle of play now is much different, but Gretzky was and is special. For either Crosby or Ovechkin to get within 400 points of Gretzky they would have to average 125 points per season for a 20 year career.
  • Options
    the hawks did very well in the olympics, toews was phenominal,kane had some nice goals, keith,seabrook,kopecky,and hossa did very well. Toews should be reconized more than crosby as he had a stellar performance this tourney.