Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Spartanburg SC show report and newp

CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
I made a spur of the moment decision to go to the Spartanburg SC show as it was a nice day for the 3 hour drive from Pinehurst. I had never been to this show before so I was anticipating seeing some new dealers and some new inventory to browse through. I was not disappointed. The venue was adjacent to Wofford College (I never knew where Wofford actually was) with ample parking. The room was quite spacious with wide aisles making navigation easy. It was billed as 100 tables, and there was plenty of leftover room for future expansion.

There was quite a variety of material offered from ancients, to foreign, to US - and very little non-numismatic material. Lots of currency (which I didn't have time to look through, and didn't really want to for fear of getting hooked on yet another hobby). There seemed to be a fair number of collectors in attendance and the place sounded busy. I also met a few new dealers that invited me to the Charleston, SC show - I will put that on the schedule in the future.

Overall, I was able to sell a number of proof sets, mint sets, and a few slabs at fair prices. I might be mistaken, but there seemed to be more buying and selling than at shows I attended two or three months ago. Hopefully, this is a sign that things are picking up a bit.

I sold much more than I purchased - I bought one 1958 proof set in a capital holder with some nicely toned silver and this old David Hall certified coin that pre-dates PCGS. I have a number of these older flips and enjoy them as part of numismatic history. This is my first commem from this era.

I look forward to the next Spartanburg show and also the Charleston show.

Here are some quick pics of the David Hall flip.
imageimage

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report and an interesting pickup - I'm guessing there aren't too many of those early 'slabs' still around!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    Cool show!! I just got back from Caneel Bay, or I could have gone. Wofford is only an hour and a half from me, my wife and brother (who posts here) both went to college there. I have driven to a few smaller shows here in SC and they were pretty small and didn't have too much to offer, but this one sounds different and larger. I'll definitely try and put on the schedule next time it comes.

Oh, and do you mean the Ladson show, right near Charleston? I went there a few years back, and it was pretty good, bigger/more dealers than many other local shows.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, and do you mean the Ladson show, right near Charleston? >>

Well, they called it Charleston - didn't mention Ladson. I'll have to keep an eye on the Coin World show listings.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    I am a member of one of the clubs that runs the show-Upstate SC Show, if you PM me your address, I will put you on our mailing list. You will also get a notification about the State Show which is held in Greenville in the fall.

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    Great report, and great coins!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file