Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Shill Bidding

Sorry to bore everyone with this but I needed somewhere to vent. An e-mail to eBay seems like a waste of time. I'm sure this type of shill bidding has happened to everyone at some point. Two additional bidders, each with 0 feedback and the item is bid up in increments until my maximum is exceeded. The seller will probably follow-up with a second chance offer to me in a few days. All you can do is laugh, I guess.

eBay Auction

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, tell him you'll pay $12.34, the amount your winning bid would have been if not for the shills.

Jasen
  • Options
    Seems like a lot of that kind of stuff happening on eBay lately. Maybe the economy has something to do with it.

Another scam that I'm seeing involves cards that are relatively rare being sold back and forth more frequently within a month or so. If you look closely, you see it is the exact same card with the same PSA cert is changing hands, often going back the previous owner(s). Once a new VCP is established, then they try to sell it (w/ shill bids to support the price if necessary, of course).

--------------------------------------------

CASSIDYS SPORTSCARDS - Vintage Baseball Cards from 1909 - 1976
  • Options
    I think due to major auction houses such as Heritage and others openly admitting to this practice and stating so in the terms of sale.

My best guess is eBay sellers are simply following the lead of the #1 largest auction house! I see no difference between the shilling!

Heritage - HA.com
    Under Auction Resources - Terms & Conditions

Rule 21. The Auctioneer or its affiliates may consign items to be sold in the Auction, and may bid on those lots or any other lots. Auctioneer or affiliates expressly reserve the right to modify any such bids at any time prior to the hammer based upon data made known to the Auctioneer or its affiliates.